PDA

View Full Version : Best Class and Build for Mounted Combat?

Pyon
2015-08-09, 07:50 PM
So I've been preparing character concepts for upcoming campaigns and the running theme seems to be spellcasters. I wanted to make a non spell caster character, and the thing that interests me the most is specializing in mounted combat. I was thinking Paladin for this character, but is there a better class? Cheers!

Mechaviking
2015-08-09, 08:54 PM
Pretty much it, since find mount is a spell and paladins get it at 5 when you get your extra attack.

Then again someone posted a halfling ranger dual wielding lances on an animal companion build that was hilarious, but almost so silly no sane gm would allow this.

Mostly it boils down to the find mount spell being really easy to use and having constant access to it.

The only problem with mounted combat is that it requires a feat to be pretty baller and until you hit lvl 5 you canīt reliably use that feat. But if the DM wants to work with you, then itīs not gonna be a problem. Please feel free to post how it goes.

Pyon
2015-08-09, 09:09 PM
Pretty much it, since find mount is a spell and paladins get it at 5 when you get your extra attack.

Then again someone posted a halfling ranger dual wielding lances on an animal companion build that was hilarious, but almost so silly no sane gm would allow this.

Mostly it boils down to the find mount spell being really easy to use and having constant access to it.

The only problem with mounted combat is that it requires a feat to be pretty baller and until you hit lvl 5 you canīt reliably use that feat. But if the DM wants to work with you, then itīs not gonna be a problem. Please feel free to post how it goes.

It's going to be quite a while until I play this character because in my current campaign I'm playing a bard. I don't see myself joining any other new campaigns any time soon, so this character will be on hold. But I'll make a post about it when it does happen!

As for getting the feat, that won't be much of a problem. This DM group we run, we usually houserule a free feat for everyone so we can have some more fun stuff off the bat. I'll also probably ask the DM to see if I can bond a different steed than the ones you can summon. Like raise a griffon up from hatchling, tame it and then bind it with find steed.

JNAProductions
2015-08-09, 09:14 PM
Well, if you want a combat test, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?433135-D-amp-D-5E-Level-20-Fight!) campaign is nothing but a fight against a medium-sized opponent.

Slipperychicken
2015-08-09, 09:59 PM

Not really. Even without the feat, you can use a lance to do 1d12 and use a shield. With no feats required, that's pretty much the best deal in town. When enemies get too close for a lance, just direct your mount to disengage, back up 5 feet, and keep swinging. If your mount goes down, just pull out a different weapon and keep swinging. That said, there's nothing stopping you from using other options like GWM, ranged attacks, or Polearm Master while riding (just like lance+shield or horse-archery, you can ride while both hands are occupied by weapons). And don't forget your mount can move way faster than you can. A warhorse can dash up to 120ft and let the rider make his attacks in the same turn; if you don't mind eating an OA, you can move away from or past your enemy and ignore his melee attack routine until he starts readying actions (even then you're clearly dictating the tempo of the fight, deciding when he gets to attack). You can even attack an enemy while your warhorse disengages up to 60 feet away, essentially leaving him with no choice but to waste his action dashing, or wait for you to return. That's ludicrous mobility, and given the relatively low cost, it seems like basically any adventurer can benefit from it.

If you're not married to the Find Steed spell, then I think any class with the extra attack feature should work fine (i.e. fighter, valor bard, bladelock, barbarian, ranger, paladin). A purchased warhorse has essentially the same stats as the one the spell gives you. The only real difference is that you don't get free replacements and might have to roll Handle Animal once in a while. Still, at the levels where enemies can easily kill the animal, replacing it isn't too much of a hassle, and any attack against it is one less attack against the party. If you want it to be more resilient, you can use mage armor or barding for its AC, then cast Aid and/or stack temp hp to boost its hit points. Again, if it's a huge issue, you can take Mounted Combatant and you'll only need to worry about AoEs or other non-attack effects.

Malifice
2015-08-09, 10:03 PM
Paladin by far because of this:

While mounted on your steed, you can make any spell you cast that targets only you also target your steed.

The 'Smite' spells (and many others) affect your steed too.

Paladin (spends bonus action) to cast Smite spell. Hits with sword (muti-attack) expending slots to smite on each successful attack, with smite spell going off in addition to Divine Smite. Horse then attacks, also getting off a the effects of a smite.

Makes the nova damage of a Paladin, even more nova.

Sigreid
2015-08-09, 10:17 PM
Halfling beastmaster ranger on a giant wolf spider could be incredible.

ZenBear
2015-08-09, 11:00 PM

While mounted on your steed, you can make any spell you cast that targets only you also target your steed.

Paladin (spends bonus action) to cast Smite spell. Hits with sword (muti-attack) expending slots to smite on each successful attack, with smite spell going off in addition to Divine Smite. Horse then attacks, also getting off a the effects of a smite.

Since Smite spells are concentration spells that end once they've been triggered, I would say that your mount only gets to Smite if you fail to land a hit.

Malifice
2015-08-09, 11:28 PM
Since Smite spells are concentration spells that end once they've been triggered, I would say that your mount only gets to Smite if you fail to land a hit.

That makes more sense.

Still leaves Haste, Hunters mark (vengeance paladin) bless etc

Jeebs
2015-08-09, 11:41 PM
A Rogue can make great use of the Advantage from Mounted Combatant for Sneak Attack.

You just might want to pump CON to make up for the d8 hit die.

Waazraath
2015-08-10, 01:50 AM
My take on the build: Fighter 1 / lore bard 6 / fighter (battle master) +4 / finish with lore bard. You can get find steed at level 7, and pick spells with bard that work well with 'share spells'; Armor of Agathys to increase damage and life expectation of the horsy, and at later levels stuff like elemental weapon, smite spells, (greater) invisibility, mirror image, spirit guardiands, fire shield etc. can be added, according to taste (some of those on the bard list, not all of them but you can take 'em with the bardic features that gets extra spells from other lists)

It takes more time for the build to come online, since it takes so long to get 2nd attack, but up to level 6 it plays as a bard with a level fighter for a little bit of staying power (heavy armor / extra hp), from level 7 it can do a mounted combat thing (extra damage from duelist fighting style, use a lance, maybe also shield depending on spells), and from level 9 it can add maneuvers, for damage, to ensure a hit, or to knock an enemy prone with your lance attack (check with DM if this gets the heavy warhorse a trample attack as well :) ). A few levels later, you get 2nd attack and you shouldn't be behind the other chars, if you ever were.

Race doesn't matter that much, I think.

ZenBear
2015-08-10, 02:13 AM
A Rogue can make great use of the Advantage from Mounted Combatant for Sneak Attack.

You just might want to pump CON to make up for the d8 hit die.

That is an excellent point. I have been wanting to play a "Ranger" Rogue with expertise in Stealth, Perception, Survival and Animal Handling, picking up Mounted Combatant for easy SA on horseback (where hiding is a much less viable option) is perfect!

Malifice
2015-08-10, 02:41 AM
That is an excellent point. I have been wanting to play a "Ranger" Rogue with expertise in Stealth, Perception, Survival and Animal Handling, picking up Mounted Combatant for easy SA on horseback (where hiding is a much less viable option) is perfect!

Or you can go a strength rogue and dip barbarian two or three for reckless attack.

Uncanny dodge + rage (or bear totem) means you wont even feel the return attacks.

Barbarian and Rogue combine magnificently.

(Cough Conan Cough)

Blindseer
2018-06-06, 04:57 PM

The real catch here is that smites only work on weapon attacks. Unless your dm rules that natural weapons like claws teeth and hooves count as weapon attacks, this strategy sadly doesn't fly. If they do count it, I'd exploit it like you wouldn't believe. For example if your captured cast thunderous smite and bite the cage. Just don't tell your dentist.

CTurbo
2018-06-07, 05:37 AM
Kobold Beastmaster Ranger with a Wolf companion. Both of you have Pact Tactics so always advantage on attacks. Mounted Combat feat of course. Technically, you COULD take Dual Wielder feat and dual wield Lances, but that's just dumb so don't lol. Dual Wielding Rapiers would work though. Ranger 5/Fighter 5 would get you 3 attacks and your companion would have 2 attacks each round.

Malifice
2018-06-07, 06:08 AM
The real catch here is that smites only work on weapon attacks. Unless your dm rules that natural weapons like claws teeth and hooves count as weapon attacks, this strategy sadly doesn't fly. If they do count it, I'd exploit it like you wouldn't believe. For example if your captured cast thunderous smite and bite the cage. Just don't tell your dentist.

Searing smite works with 'a melee weapon attack', not 'an attack with a melee weapon'.

So it works just fine with a punch or a slap or a mace or a bite.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-06-07, 06:25 AM
If no one has mentioned it yet...

There's a Cavalier fighter subclass in Xanathar's. You aren't guaranteed a horse, BUT IT'S PRETTY GOOD FOR HORSEBACK.

Slipperychicken
2018-06-07, 04:47 PM
If no one has mentioned it yet...

There's a Cavalier fighter subclass in Xanathar's. You aren't guaranteed a horse, BUT IT'S PRETTY GOOD FOR HORSEBACK.

This thread was active in 2015. Xanathar's didn't come out until 2017.