PDA

View Full Version : folk-.. what did you say? [music]

skreweded
2007-05-05, 11:02 PM
Ok, so I went on a high school band trip, and got back today. Why, might you ask, is this important? Well, my friend (who's music usually bores me) showed me a band called Finntroll. From what he told me, this goes under the calssification of "Death folk" or "Folk Metal" (I prefer the last, but really, classification is foolish in itself). I am looking for some music that has the same kind of feel as Finntroll, specifically the song that must be thier hit, trollhammeren. I was also introduced by my friend into a band called Apocalyptica. I love it. I seem to love the weird **** out there. Apocalyptica is a cello band. Except they play electric cellos. And they play harder than most cello bands do. Any whoo...
Do you guys have any other bands or musical groups that kick ass, but are weird like those two? I prefer harder stuff, but anything is good.
Link to Trollhammeren (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFQet75TXMg)
And Apocalyptica (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsYgcACfWTw)

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-05, 11:04 PM
Try Korpiklaani. Also folk metal, and a damn good band. Agalloch is fairly folkish with black metal and doom metal thrown in, but they aren't as heavy as Finntroll.

Warpfire
2007-05-05, 11:08 PM
Death folk...? You're joking, right? I mean, I've heard folk rock, folk metal, but death folk?

The world is so silly these days.

skreweded
2007-05-05, 11:09 PM
Ooh. Korpiklaani had me from the intro of beer beer. I have rhapsody, and it says it is the most popular song, so im gonna listen a bit more, but thanks!

I actually made this thread so i could find a band like that on rhapsody.

Edit: Death folk is words from someone else's mouth. not mine.

Warpfire
2007-05-05, 11:11 PM
I was mostly just commenting on the general silliness of having a genre called death folk.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-05, 11:12 PM
No problem.

A fusion of death metal and folk is Eluveitie, a good band. Look into Skyclad as well.

Ásmegin are good too. They sing in Norwegian and make extesnive use of the flute and violin.

skreweded
2007-05-05, 11:15 PM
Well. Kick ass, dude. Thanks for that. And for your signature?

Shadow of the sun made me and after, and I am gonna STAY an after!

(Hmm. I like that phrase.)

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-05, 11:16 PM
I just updated my post with another good band, probably more like Finntroll than the others.

CaptainSam
2007-05-06, 05:12 AM
In a similar vein is Tyr. They're Danish-ish, from the Faroe Isles. Mostly sing in English, but they also do some songs in an old dialect of danish. Sound very 80's though, if you like that sort of stuff.

Finntroll are fun, and I love Korpiklaani. This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM-2WDUM_QA) is their best work.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-06, 05:19 AM
Yeah, I like Tyr but I don't really consider them to be folk metal. They do do folk songs, but some of the folk-ness is lost, if you catch my drift.

I like that song, it is cool.

Ensiferum is a cool viking/folk band. Very nice, somewhat like Opeth but better.

Hazkali
2007-05-08, 04:25 PM
Folk Metal? FOLK METAL? Now I have seen it all.

:smalleek:

I'll stick with my plain, boring folk-rock and traditional English folk, thank-you very much.

...folk metal?? I still can't get over this.

CaptainSam
2007-05-09, 03:54 AM
Forgot about Ensiferum. Also have some of their stuff. well remembered, that Shadow.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-09, 03:57 AM
Heh. Music is what I do.

That's why its going to be my degree, I'm not really good at, nor can I see myself doing anything else.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-09, 02:43 PM

I'll stick with my plain, boring folk-rock and traditional English folk, thank-you very much.

I thought I'd seen everything when I saw some Scottish lads with accordians jumping up and down like Rock Stars.

Hades
2007-05-10, 01:24 AM
To suggest a few others:

Cruachan - Celtic Metal, quite good, very nice version of The Brown Bull of Cooley

In Extremo - Started out as a straight medieval band, moved into folkish medieval metal, and have now gone more industrial. You haven't heard Ave Maria until you've heard In Extremo doing it.

Lumsk - Norwegian, also quite good, Ormin Lange, much goodness. Relatively heavy.

Storm - Only ever released one album, Black Metal influenced but with amazing melodic vocals, Oppi Fjellet absolutely incredible.

Mago de Oz - Spanish, interesting for the non-Celtic/Nordic influences.

For similar sort of strange types of metal, check out Haggard (fantastic symphonic metal, especially Eppur Si Muove), Leave's Eyes if you like Nightwish, and Van Canto (acapella power metal) who are surprisingly awesome.

Thiel
2007-05-10, 05:47 PM
You might like Svatsot* (http://svartsot.dk/English/DEFAULT.html) or Trollfest.
Svartsot sings Norse sagas in Danish.
Trollfest sings in an odd mix of German and Norwegian.

*Press the "Media" tab to hear some of their music.

Lord of the Helms
2007-05-12, 10:50 AM

Hehe, welcome to 15 years ago at the absolute minimum. Arguably, more like 25-30 years ago :smallwink: :smalltongue:

Anyways, there are a few really cool bands in this genre, although I don't care much for the largest amount of Scandinavian folk and "Viking" metal bands as they tend to get extremely samey. I love Skyclad, both their early thrashy folk metal and their later, softer works. Brilliant lyrics too, but then again they did have Shakespeare on vocals for the largest part of their career :smallbiggrin:

I also really like Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, a German folk metal band that basically mixes tons of different styles. Their earlier works are more death metalish, the later tend to go into more melodic and generally diverse direction.

Exceptions to the Scandinavian rule are Turisas because they're such huge amounts of fun especially live, and Tyr because they don't sound anything like the largest mass of Scandinavian folk metal. Extremely folky, but in a completely different way.

For happy-happy melodic folk metal, Celtic Legacy and Elvenking are good fun. I also like the German medieval folk rock/metal bands like In Extremo, Subway to Sally and Schandmaul.

Nice bands that include lots of Folk elements in their music without actually using folk instruments are The Lord Weird Slough Feg, Brocas Helm and Hammers of Misfortune.

A good pick for oriental folk metal is of course Orphaned Land. Their releases differ quite a bit, the early stuff leaned mostly into doom and death metal directions, the last album was a more melodic type of Progressive folk meal.

Kraggi
2007-05-12, 10:12 PM
And Bob Dylan going electric was considered butchering folk.... :smallyuk:

Amotis
2007-05-12, 10:22 PM
And Bob Dylan going electric was considered butchering folk.... :smallyuk:

It made Pete Seeger do into his car and cover his ears. :smallamused:

Kraggi
2007-05-12, 10:26 PM
It made Pete Seeger do into his car and cover his ears. :smallamused:

In a tour in England shortly afterwords, people booed him and called him "Judas" because he "betrayed folk music." Good ol' crazies who couldn't appreciate some of his best stuff to date.

Amotis
2007-05-12, 10:38 PM
"Ya liar..."

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-12, 10:40 PM
I have that recording with someone calling him Judas...it is cool.

Kraggi
2007-05-12, 10:42 PM
"Ya liar..."

.....I don't get the reference. I fail at folk. *Hangs head in shame* *Bob Dylan smites*

Amotis
2007-05-12, 10:48 PM
It was his responce at it.

Other then "Play it ****ing loud!"