PDA

View Full Version : Kobolds

Tor the Fallen
2007-05-06, 01:59 AM
Kobolds per the SRD:
Kobold characters possess the following racial traits.

* -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.
* Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
* A kobold’s base land speed is 30 feet.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Racial Skills: A kobold character has a +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner), and Search checks.
* Racial Feats: A kobold character gains feats according to its character class.
* +1 natural armor bonus.
* Special Qualities (see above): Light sensitivity.
* Automatic Languages: Draconic. Bonus Languages: Common, Undercommon.
* Favored Class: Sorcerer.
* Level adjustment +0.

Variant
Kobold characters possess the following racial traits.

* -4 Strength, +4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.
* Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
* A kobold’s base land speed is 30 feet.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Racial Skills: A kobold character has a +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner), and Search checks.
* Racial Feats: A kobold character gains feats according to its character class.
* Special Qualities (see above): Light sensitivity.
* Slight Build: The physical stature of kobolds lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a kobold is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the kobold is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A kobold is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A kobold can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a kobold remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
* Automatic Languages: Draconic. Bonus Languages: Common, Dwarf, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Undercommon
* Favored Class: Sorcerer.
* Level adjustment +0.

What changed:
gained +2 dex, slight build
lost natural armor

That doesn't warrant an LA does it?

Caewil
2007-05-06, 02:11 AM
No. In fact, kobolds are usually seen as horribly underpowered. You could even keep (or improve!) the natural armour if you want. Slight build isn't really all that great.

Triaxx
2007-05-06, 04:35 AM
Perhaps leave out the additional +2 dex, and replace with +2 cha? Makes for better sorcerors.

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-06, 04:44 AM
I personally feel that you should drop the strength penalty to -2 and remove the constitution penalty. Then you don't have to do anything else, because the kobold is no longer horrifically useless.

Icewalker
2007-05-06, 05:35 AM
Horrifically useless? What about Pun-Pun the fifth level kobold who can become an all-powerful god of the universe, strong enough the DM himself cannot stop him! He has to be a kobold. (well, actually he doesn't, it just makes it a little more convenient)

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-06, 09:24 AM
The DM can always stop anything. Rule Zero. He retroactively changes time so that Pun-Pun never existed.

And there are Pun-Pun killing builds. Google them.

Kobolds, for all intents and purposes beyond being ridiculious, are horrifically crippled by their racial mods.

Inyssius Tor
2007-05-06, 11:09 AM
Not necessarily. (http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/)

EvilElitest
2007-05-06, 11:11 AM
Not necessarily. (http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/)

The nightmares return
from,
EE

ChomZ
2007-05-06, 01:01 PM
Trucker's kobolds sound viscious.. holy cow..
I must use that in my campaign

jindra34
2007-05-06, 01:10 PM
Trucker's kobolds sound viscious.. holy cow..
I must use that in my campaign

I believe Viscious is an understatement... of the Nth degree...

Arbitrarity
2007-05-06, 01:27 PM
Only thing that seems like it might break kobolds is the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage.

ChomZ
2007-05-06, 01:49 PM
Hold on.. those Trucker's kobolds work well cus they've got home team advantage and they have huge numbers.. for a singular character adventurer, they are still rather stinky

blackout
2007-05-06, 02:20 PM
Only thing that seems like it might break kobolds is the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage.

What's the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage?...or even the regular Draconic Rite of Passage?

Tor the Fallen
2007-05-06, 08:06 PM
If I'm not mistaken, slight build would give another +1 to attack/ac, as they'd count as tiny creatures. At least, that's how I would rule it.

It'd make a pretty good rogue or arcane caster. Darkvision, +2 ac & attacks, +4 dex. The con penalty hurts, but no more than an elf.

Wizzardman
2007-05-06, 08:25 PM
I like it--although the modified Kobolds I've used in the past have been more focused on advanced trapmaking, and so got an Int bonus instead of additional Dex.

Alternatively, you could just toss the Draconic template at them, as Wizards of the Coast suggests.

Tor the Fallen
2007-05-06, 08:30 PM
I was thinking of having a feat that gives you +4 to escape artist checks vs. grapples and squeezing through tight spaces for every size category you are smaller than medium (a small creature would get +4, a tiny +8, etc), and give that as a free feat to the kobold.

God_of_Luck
2007-05-06, 08:50 PM
What's the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage?...or even the regular Draconic Rite of Passage?

A feat in RotD that changes the Kobold's Reptilian (Dragonblood) type to Dragon among other cool stuff.

The GRoDP is ritual that needs you to take a feat and be of at least 6 HD to expand the benefits of the RoDP.

Due to this, Kobolds make the best Sorcerers, believe it or not.

Here is the WE with the ritual:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a