PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Pony Race

JNAProductions
2015-08-10, 11:51 AM
Pony Traits

Ability Score Increase-Ponies are strong and durable. Your Constitution increase by 1.

Size-Ponies are small... For a horse. Your size is medium.

Speed-Ponies are swift of hoof. Your base walking speed is 40'.

Subrace-Ponies come in three categories-Earth Pony, Pegasus, and Unicorn.

Earth Pony Traits

Ability Score Increase-Earth Ponies are exceptionally tough and durable. Increas Strength by 2 and Constitution by 1 (for a total of 2).

Hardy-Earth Ponies are enduring. You treat all exhaustion as being one level lower than it really is. (Allowing you to get to Exhaustion level 6 without dying.)

Pegasus

Ability Score Increase-Pegasi are agile. Increase your Dexterity by 2.

Flight-Pegasi have wings, giving them a flying speed of 40'.

Unicorns

Ability Score Increase-Unicorns are intelligent. Increase your Intelligence score by 2.

Unicorn Magic-Unicorns know the Mage Hand cantrip. At level three, they can cast Feather Fall once per long rest. At level 5, they can cast Misty Step once per long rest. Intelligence is their casting stat for this.

Tools of the Trade-Unicorns, having skills to work whatever craft holds their interest, have proficiency in one set of tools of their choice (excluding thieve's tools).

Ralanr
2015-08-10, 11:59 AM
Earth Pony Berserkers!

JNAProductions
2015-08-10, 12:05 PM
Earth Pony Berserkers!

Applejack... SMASH! :P

Jokes aside, is the race balanced? Overpowered? Underpowered?

Ralanr
2015-08-10, 12:14 PM
Applejack... SMASH! :P

Jokes aside, is the race balanced? Overpowered? Underpowered?

Overpowered.
Unicorn pretty much gets the shaft compared to the other two. I like earth pony a lot, but I don't think they should get a 2 in two stats (but the exhaustion thing is awesome). The Pegasus is dangerously powerful with that flight speed of 60. I could see a racial feat to increase it to 60, but not as their base flying speed.

JNAProductions
2015-08-10, 12:16 PM
Really? It's similar to Mountain Dwarf, only they lack a lot of stuff Dwarves possess.

What would you recomend for Pegasus? I'm of the opinion that any fly speed is, while not OP, something to take into careful consideration, while the exact number doesn't matter a ton.

Ralanr
2015-08-10, 12:19 PM
Really? It's similar to Mountain Dwarf, only they lack a lot of stuff Dwarves possess.

What would you recomend for Pegasus? I'm of the opinion that any fly speed is, while not OP, something to take into careful consideration, while the exact number doesn't matter a ton.

Let's compare fluttershy and rainbowdash in terms of speed. Niether are really normal in terms of flight capability. I'd recommend 40 fly speed.

But I might be too hasty in my judgments. I wonder what other people think.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-08-10, 01:08 PM
I've been misled by . . . MYSELF!? Came here expecting some odd mechanics for mounted combat or maneuvers and instead got exactly what the little voice I squashed said it was.

Unicorns aren't +2 Cha or Wis (being the celestial guardians of good and all)In term's of balance, its very underpowered or at least underfluffed, I agree with JNA that Pegasus should be 40' fly. But I mean where's the fluff and mechanics about it being a freakin horse.
Ideas:

increased carry/pull capacity
Stability against push/trip
Trampling joy? (like the war-horse)
Natural attacks (hooves 1d6 or even 1d8)
Maybe Celestial or Infernal Legacy (as aasimar or tiefling, because nightmares are legit)
Naturally Athletic, like the goliath
Pegasus can ignore higher altitudes
Maybe a subrace for the water horse of mythology?

I'm, for some reason, running out of steam here. . . Anyway you get my point right? The horse has been an iconic creature since we could paint cave walls. Why not have neat little odds and ends to capture that? Idk, as an animal, I hate dealing with horses. But in both history and fiction the horse has been a big deal too a lot of people.

Ralanr
2015-08-10, 01:12 PM
I'd imagine they couldn't duel wield, or cast spells while holding a weapon (though unicorns could just use their horn as an arcane focus).

What's the difference between a focus and a component pouch again?

Princess
2015-08-10, 01:15 PM
Important question to answer before considering balance:

Can any of these ponies use a sword or a bow? Or would they rely on natural attacks/spells only? If that former, the first two are a bit over powered, but if it's the latter, it's a big "!?!?!?!" that would need to be tested quite a bit.

But playing a Unicorn Wizard would be amazing for reasons of fluff.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-08-10, 01:31 PM
Can a horse wield a sword? Hah!

https://bplusmovieblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/tangled-135.png

Well that certainly settles it.:smallcool:

Not gonna lie, Maximus is the a large part of my reasoning behind the rant, Paladin levels and everything.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-10, 02:45 PM
Just dropping in to say: I approve of this thread.

But yeah, fly 60 is not good. 40 might be ok.

I don't know if unicorns are underpowered; I rate the 1/3/5 spell thing as 1.5 points regardless of which spells it is. It's just that it doesn't compare favourably with the other subraces. Full disclosure: all of my favourite ponies are unicorns. I may be biased.

My vote: unicorns should get an extra tool (or maybe skill) proficiency, since they're basically the upper class of pony society and have more time for leisurely pursuits.

And you need to either write variant rules for PCs with no hands or fingers - or explicitly state that there are no such penalties and you can use weapons and armour as normal.

OOH! Cutie marks as feats?!?

JNAProductions
2015-08-10, 02:48 PM
Pegasi dropped to 40' fly.

Tools of the Trade added to Unicorns.

RazDelacroix
2015-08-10, 06:52 PM
Wait a tic... I WAS GONNA RELEASE A PONY RACE WRITEUP FOR MY NIECE'S BIRTHDAY! *checks the calendar* Okay, it's not here yet. Mind if I take my own stab at the idea later?

JNAProductions
2015-08-10, 06:54 PM
Wait a tic... I WAS GONNA RELEASE A PONY RACE WRITEUP FOR MY NIECE'S BIRTHDAY! *checks the calendar* Okay, it's not here yet. Mind if I take my own stab at the idea later?

No, I hate seeing other people's ideas. :P

Go right on ahead. I'm not the best at race-making, I just felt like 5E needed some ponies.

Also, you're a cool uncle/aunt/squidthing for doing that for your niece. Rock on!