PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How Do You Use Terrain as a DM? (3.X)

Enran
2015-08-10, 03:52 PM
I'm about to DM for the first time (a PbP game here on the boards) and I've got a question about how I can make my battles more interesting... Namely, how can I use terrain (either in the form of enemies taking advantage of pre-existing terrain, or more powerful foes warping the terrain themselves) to make battles more challenging in a fun way? Like, would archers using pillars for cover during an indoor battle make things more interesting, or just more frustrating for the players? Or maybe if a powerful fire creature had warped the location into a place with geysers of magma, which its summoned minions tried to bull rush enemies into? I'd also find it thematically cool to have a battle take place atop crumbling spires that the PCs had to jump around on, but, well, it's a level 8 Psionics-based game, everybody who's anybody can likely fly.

So, yeah. What tips would you give me on how to use the terrain and such to make battles more challenging and interesting?

BowStreetRunner
2015-08-10, 04:09 PM
Well if everyone can fly then the effects of terrain are already going to be fairly limited. It's also a pain to keep track of things in 3D (even with coins underneath to keep track of height above the map). Some of your simplest options like slippery and difficult terrain won't matter much to flyers.

Try moving things indoors when possible. That limits the advantages of flying. In a natural cavern you can even have both stalagmites on the ground and stalactites on the ceiling if you can find a way to represent them without it getting too confusing. In a building I like rooms with balconies and high ceilings to make flying encounters fun.

I also like big battlefields with lots of variety to give players the opportunity to try to make use of terrain in creative ways. It's fun to watch a rogue keep slipping between columns while a large creature has to go around, or a scout or ranger darting in and out of difficult terrain while others have to reduce their movement. And when a player manages to maneuver into position to get off that charge attack or drop a fun area effect spell in the perfect location, their responses are almost better than when you hand out treasure. After all, the role of the DM is to make it fun for the players.

dascarletm
2015-08-10, 04:12 PM
Terrain can make for a more interesting encounter, but it can also make for a more frustrating encounter. I've found that you need to set up the terrain (be very descriptive) in your narrative. Also more importantly, be sure to have the terrain clearly visible on the map. I find players get frustrated when you have to tell them they actually can't charge that guy directly.

Also make sure there is opportunity for the players to use the terrain creatively as well.