PDA

View Full Version : Would you play in this game? (Just curious)

dascarletm
2015-08-10, 03:56 PM
Hello Everyone,

My friend tried to start a game where everyone was a heroic version of themselves. Basically the premise was you start the game magically transported to a DnD world (full OOC knowledge).

Character gen started with you ranking the ability scores from highest to lowest for what you really have, then you would place a stat array into them. (16, 15, 14, 12, 10, 8) If you could convince us otherwise for a different stat allotment, you could use a similar point buy equivalent.

You would start level 1-2 in a class associated to what you do IRL, but more heroic of course. For example I was going to be an alchemist since I'm a chemist in real life.

You would pick skills and feats that most make sense to your RL backstory with all skills considered class skills for your starting class levels. (I was on a swim and water-polo team so I got max ranks in swim)

Starting equipment was anything you could/would take from your residence.

You then could deviate from your build in any fashion thereafter.

My question, would you personally be interested in such a game, and why/why not?

If you want, post a level 1-2 build for yourself using those rules I'd be interested to see

Alchemist 2
Str: 12
Dex: 10
Con: 8
Int: 16
Wis: 8
Cha: 16
Custom Flaw: Hyperactive Thyroid (must eat 2x food/day)
Feats: Exotic weapon proficiency (Firearms), Point Blank Shot, Skill Focus (Heal)
Ranks in Swim, Craft (Alchemy), Climb, and some Knowledges

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-10, 04:07 PM
I'd never do this. A big part of why I play fantasy roleplaying games is so I can be someone who isn't me.

dascarletm
2015-08-10, 04:08 PM
I'd never do this. A big part of why I play fantasy roleplaying games is so I can be someone who isn't me.

The reason why the game never launched was that half the group had this exact same sentiment.

LoyalPaladin
2015-08-10, 04:10 PM
This is interesting. I'll build this out. I'd probably either be a Paladin or Knight. I play Paladin since it jives with me best.

Paladin 2
Con: 15
Int: 8
Wis: 14
Custom Flaw: Headstrong (Must pursue goal, no matter the cost)
Feats: Endurance, Die Hard, Iron Will
Ranks in Diplomacy & Sense Motive.

Wow. Suddenly I feel less useful as an individual. Haha.

I would probably do this for a neat little 1-5 campaign. It'd be hard, since friends are the most likely to say "pfft, you wouldn't do that."

BowStreetRunner
2015-08-10, 04:13 PM
While I understand why many players would shy away from this, I would also think that anyone who as a kid watched the Dungeons & Dragons animated series would jump at the chance. If the DM put in one major magic item that thematically fit each character plus a miniature avatar of the DM in red robes who stopped by from time to time to check on the players, it would really feel nostalgic to try it.

Ranger (military training)/Rogue (former private investigator)
STR 14
DEX 12
CON 10
INT 16
WIS 15
CHA 8
Ranks in climb, diplomacy, gather information, heal, hide, intimidate, jump, knowledge (geography, history, local, nature, religion), search, spot, survival, swim, and use rope.
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Firearms)

dascarletm
2015-08-10, 04:14 PM
I would probably do this for a neat little 1-5 campaign. It'd be hard, since friends are the most likely to say "pfft, you wouldn't do that."

That is true. We were going to have a rule disallowing us from calling out other players on what they would/wouldn't do... well for most things.

2015-08-10, 04:18 PM
My problem with it (other than the "I'm trying to pretend to not be me" thing) is that, IRL, I'm an obsessive number cruncher in the process of getting an accounting degree, and I have a great deal of char-op know-how. So of course I'd be a cheesy cheaty wizard, what else makes sense? Actually, going off the stats in my extended sig that I got a while back, I'd have a high Int, low Con/Wis, and average everything else, and I'd be a Bard/Wizard. If I was gonna optimize that, I'd go straight Bard 1/Wizard 9/Sublime Chord 2/Ultimate Magus 8, or something similarly cheesy. And that's kinda boring, at least for a real game.

BWR
2015-08-10, 04:19 PM
It depends on who would be running it. If it's one of my long-time friends, then yes. I play most things with them and like hanging out with them, even if the game isn't what I would choose if I had my druthers. If it was a more distant acquaintance or a random stranger, then probably not. Like others, I spend enough time with myself already - I don't need to spend more than necessary in the name of 'fun'. OTOH, I have played one brief game with something even more true to life, something like the Everlasting with ourselves as protags and we had as close to our real world stats as we could get (the other players determined an individual's ability scores and we were pretty honest about it - there weren't many scores over 11 and nothing over 13 IIRC). Anyway, let's be honest: there's no way this character would bear anything more than a superficial resemblance to me in any case because he would have awesome stats and actual competency, drive and bravery to even consider being an adventurer.

Mr.Moron
2015-08-10, 04:21 PM
It'd be hard, since friends are the most likely to say "pfft, you wouldn't do that."

Sounds like half the fun of friends-playing-themselves game, calling each other out on bull**** and just taking the piss in general.

Anyway I wouldn't do it just because well, I'd have a hard time accepting my stats/classes as that high. A 16 in anything is well into world-class level, and I'm not world class in anything. If the array was something more like 12/10/10/11/8/8 NPC classes + bonus skill focus, I might dig it. If I'm going to be playing as me I want to be playing as me in all my pudgy, noodle-armed, butt-ugly, average-intelligence glory.

Geddy2112
2015-08-10, 04:21 PM
My group has debated a zany 1 shot of this, just for kicks. Maybe have a secret santa style where we all draw names to design each others characters. In good fun, of course. I don't want to do a campaign of myself because as others have stated, I like to be other people when I roleplay. It would be a good one shot when we don't have anything else to do and the session would otherwise be called.

My build

Bard 2
Str:8
Dex:12
Con:14
Int:15
Wis:10
Cha:16
Custom flaw-Hothead. -2 to will saves against non fear based emotions.
Feats:Weapon finesse, Academic,Free Spirit
Ranks in Knowledge: Nature, Swim, Bluff, Diplomacy and intimidate

The Insanity
2015-08-10, 04:22 PM
While I understand why many players would shy away from this, I would also think that anyone who as a kid watched the Dungeons & Dragons animated series would jump at the chance.
I watched the animated series as a kid/teen and it's the reason why I wouldn't want to play in such a game.

BowStreetRunner
2015-08-10, 04:27 PM
I watched the animated series as a kid/teen and it's the reason why I wouldn't want to play in such a game.

Really? I was like 12 at the time and already playing tabletop D&D so thought it would be awesome to have Hank's bow and get to run around in a real D&D adventure. :smallbiggrin:

TheNivMizzet
2015-08-10, 04:32 PM
Not to hard to think of the build. Not very optimized but I'm an english literature student who takes History courses and takes part in HEMA, hence the sword proficiency.

Archivist 2
15 str
14 dex
12 con
8 Wis
16 Int
10 Cha
Feats:
Weapon Proficiency: Longsword
Weapon Proficiency: Greatsword
Skills:
Maxing Knowledge (Religion) and (History)

dascarletm
2015-08-10, 04:33 PM
Sounds like half the fun of friends-playing-themselves game, calling each other out on bull**** and just taking the piss in general.

Anyway I wouldn't do it just because well, I'd have a hard time accepting my stats/classes as that high. A 16 in anything is well into world-class level, and I'm not world class in anything. If the array was something more like 12/10/10/11/8/8 NPC classes + bonus skill focus, I might dig it. If I'm going to be playing as me I want to be playing as me in all my pudgy, noodle-armed, butt-ugly, average-intelligence glory.

Well part of the premise is that you'd be a more heroic version of yourself, but i remember a while back there being a way to find your scores. From my recollection it wasn't that hard to break 14 in most of them.

Deadline
2015-08-10, 05:07 PM
While I wouldn't do this as the OP presented, I have done something similar with the Shadow Chasers thing that was in Dungeon (or was it Dragon) magazine years ago. It was basically d20 Modern (or what would eventually become d20 Modern), but with D&D monsters in the modern day. The general gist was that only certain individuals could see them for what they truly were. So while most people would see Bob the burly bouncer outside that club, Shadow Chasers would see that Bob was, in fact, a bugbear.

The DM didn't tell us what we were playing that night, and the first session was basically us getting attacked by some Orcs at our weekly game session. We were allowed to only use/bring the things we had on us at game (which is why he kept it secret). Much to the DM's dismay, three of us had just come from SCA practice and had actual armor and weapons with us. And the one player in our group who was a police officer still had his sidearm on him. The game was immensely fun though, and we played a little mini campaign. We dealt with goblins and ogres who had taken up residence in a cave in a popular tourist spot just outside of town, tracked down and dealt with a gargoyle (by tracking news articles about strange pet mutilations and cross-referencing with the Monster Manual), and even managed to deal with a cult and the demon it managed to summon. That last one was particularly effective, because at the time none of us were aware how much of an influence on city planning a strong Mason population had on our city. They do seem to like laying out certain buildings in a 5 pointed star pattern. When we saw that on a map for the first time, it really blew our minds.

OldTrees1
2015-08-10, 05:13 PM
I haven't tried the full OOC knowledge one yet, but I have done a "play as yourself" game and a "play as yourself in another world" game.

dascarletm
2015-08-10, 05:18 PM
I haven't tried the full OOC knowledge one yet, but I have done a "play as yourself" game and a "play as yourself in another world" game.

The part about that which I would find interesting is that if we couldn't remember a monsters stats we wouldn't be able to look it up. Though that would make knowledges less useful now that I think about it.

2015-08-10, 05:54 PM
The part about that which I would find interesting is that if we couldn't remember a monsters stats we wouldn't be able to look it up. Though that would make knowledges less useful now that I think about it.

Memorizing the MM is half the fun of on-the-fly optimization. Hell, I'd probably make a custom magic item called "The Ultimate Monster Manual", which gives any active user a +30 to any knowledge check made for identifying a monster and/or its abilities/strengths/weaknesses.

Windrammer
2015-08-10, 07:04 PM
Ranger 2
Dex: 6
Con: 16
Int: 18
Wis: 10
Cha: 14

Feats:
Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike

Flaw: Inattentive

One rank in each knowledge, full ranks in diplomacy, bluff, and sense motive

Starting equipment: Backpack, basic camping gear, hunting knife, handaxe, homemade zulu-spear-thing I picked up from a neighbor's stuff that they left behind upon moving.

I'm a long time outdoorsman, but also a custodian, so I'm like the Ranger of a school campus. I halfheartedly did martial arts at a few points in my life so improved unarmed strike. Great Fortitude cuz i beat irl fort saves

(Un)Inspired
2015-08-10, 07:19 PM
Sounds like fun. I'm a safety inspector at a poultry treatment facility so obviously I'd be a Sorcerer. I'm human but I was adopted and raised by orthodox Elves so if I was transported to a D&D world I'd probably be an elf.

Sorcerer 2
Str:16
Dex:14
Con:10
Int:8
Wis:12
Cha:14
Custom Flaw: Armless (my arms were sheared off in an industrial accident)
Feats: Eschew Materials, Weapon Focus (Dagger)

Eschew Materials would be critical because I don't use material components for ANYTHING in RL and I'd take Weapon Focus in daggers to represent the fact that I'm really really good with daggers

2015-08-10, 07:22 PM
Sounds like fun. I'm a safety inspector at a poultry treatment facility so obviously I'd be a Sorcerer. I'm human but I was adopted and raised by orthodox Elves so if I was transported to a D&D world I'd probably be an elf.

Sorcerer 2
Str:16
Dex:14
Con:10
Int:8
Wis:12
Cha:14
Custom Flaw: Armless (my arms were sheared off in an industrial accident)
Feats: Eschew Materials, Weapon Focus (Dagger)

Eschew Materials would be critical because I don't use material components for ANYTHING in RL and I'd take Weapon Focus in daggers to represent the fact that I'm really really good with daggers

And here I would've taken this golden opportunity to roll up a Chicken-Infested Commoner.

Rainshine
2015-08-10, 07:22 PM
Game twist: you play as a heroic version of the person to your right.

Palanan
2015-08-10, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by BowStreetRunner
While I understand why many players would shy away from this, I would also think that anyone who as a kid watched the Dungeons & Dragons animated series would jump at the chance.

I did watch this show as a kid, and I'd love to play this concept as a one-shot or a short campaign.

Except I'd end up as a druid, and I play those all the time anyway.

:smalltongue:

(Un)Inspired
2015-08-10, 07:27 PM
And here I would've taken this golden opportunity to roll up a Chicken-Infested Commoner.

I really just do safety inspections so Sorcerer is probably a better fit than commoner and I'm not actually around that many actual chickens. If there was a facility-infested flaw that would be a pretty good fit though

marphod
2015-08-10, 07:30 PM
I've done similar things before, albeit different game mechanics than DnD.

It can be a lot of fun, but it requires a group of Players who interact a lot out of character. If you jsut know each other from the gaming table, and don't interact much elsewhere, it doesn't play as well.

Str 14 (Some natural strength, but never trained hard.)
Dex 15 (Decent natural flexibility that I try to keep up)
Con 8 (Chronic illness for the ?!$#!$?@$?!)
Int 16 (I consistently tested in the top 0.1-0.25% of the population)
Wis 12 (Some self preservation instincts)
Cha 10 (Not very personable but generally not offensive either)

The Sane Build would be Artificer 6. The Insane Build would be Artificer 3/Swordsage 1/Totemist 2.

Nifft
2015-08-10, 07:42 PM
This is interesting. I'll build this out. I'd probably either be a Paladin or Knight. I play Paladin since it jives with me best.

Paladin 2
Con: 15
Int: 8
Wis: 14
Custom Flaw: Headstrong (Must pursue goal, no matter the cost)
Feats: Endurance, Die Hard, Iron Will
Ranks in Diplomacy & Sense Motive.

Wow. Suddenly I feel less useful as an individual. Haha.

You're refreshingly honest and/or humble.

I didn't expect to see anyone rank themselves with a low Intelligence in this thread.

Red Rubber Band
2015-08-10, 07:59 PM
I didn't expect to see anyone rank themselves with a low Intelligence in this thread.

That was my first thought too :smalltongue:

LoyalPaladin humbles us again. Damn you and your 16 Charisma.

Illven
2015-08-10, 08:54 PM
Game twist: you play as a heroic version of the person to your right.

That sounds like a recipe for one or more ruined friendships.

Hiro Protagonest
2015-08-10, 09:05 PM
Well, no, I wouldn't play this, because if I ended up in a fantasy world, my ambition wouldn't extend beyond the goals of a Harvest Moon game. In other words, I'd want to stay in one small town and live there. And I wouldn't want to help stop an invasion from hell or whatever, that's a problem for the PCs. I'm clearly a NPC. :smalltongue:

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-10, 09:18 PM
Well, no, I wouldn't play this, because if I ended up in a fantasy world, my ambition wouldn't extend beyond the goals of a Harvest Moon game. In other words, I'd want to stay in one small town and live there. And I wouldn't want to help stop an invasion from hell or whatever, that's a problem for the PCs. I'm clearly a NPC. :smalltongue:

"I'm clearly an NPC", says Hiro Protagonest.

Hiro Protagonest
2015-08-10, 09:27 PM
Haha, yeah, I actually like this username and it's also unique (though very close in spelling to the name of Snow Crash's main character), so I see no reason to get rid of it, but it doesn't go with my actual personality. :smallamused:

Razanir
2015-08-10, 10:19 PM
Mythweavers! (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=307908)

Class, level, and ability scores from the easydamus quiz. Generally follows PF.

Taiji Training is a custom trait I made, because I'm halfway competent at internet tai chi, and it annoyed me that I couldn't apply Weapon Finesse to the jian. (Jian ~= Longsword, Dao ~= Glaive)

Houserules in play: Ernir's Speak Language (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?172691-3-5-Speak-Language-revised-skill) (I put 1 free point in English to approximate Ernir's rule), Athletics = Jump+Climb+Swim, Survival includes Heal, wounds and vigor as per Paizo (wounds listed under HP, vigor under nonlethal).

Tentatively I'd also have Cloistered Cleric, in which case I'd have an extra rank in each Perform and 2 in Diplomacy. But it's not allowed by RAW, even though I'd allow it myself because the changes aren't mutually exclusive.

(Also, fun side note, I do plan on becoming an actual cleric later in life)

ekarney
2015-08-11, 04:05 AM
I'm stuck here because I'm a Jack of All trades so Factotum would be perfect.

Except for the minor part that I'm really not that intelligent. Which means I need to figure out how I managed to gets 1s and 2s in so many skills.
I'm not musical, at all so I couldn't be a bard.

So I'm either a Savant, an Artificer or I somehow managed to take 2 levels of Fortune's Friend without anything else.

I'd be open to playing honestly, I play D&D cause I like the freedom in it,

Lalliman
2015-08-11, 04:57 AM
I'd love the novelty of that. Maybe i'll propose it to my own group sometime.

Only downside is that with my stats and profession i'd be a wizard for sure, and i don't like full casters so much.

LoyalPaladin
2015-08-11, 09:22 AM
You're refreshingly honest and/or humble.
Just doing my part in this world! :smallbiggrin:

LoyalPaladin humbles us again. Damn you and your 16 Charisma.
:smallredface: I might not be the most intelligent individual, but I pride myself on Loyalty and Commitment! (Hence, LoyalPaladin)

Taveena
2015-08-11, 09:54 AM
Probably not a good idea for me PERSONALLY. Awful self-esteem means I'd like to be as distanced as possible from my actual self, please.

Plus, the only stat which could feasibly be in the positives given my weakness/clumsiness/low-pain tolerance and lack of endurance/godawful perceptiveness/overwhelming anxiety is Int, and I loathe playing Wizards. So... Psion or Beguiler? Far from my first choice in classes I'd play. I guess I could be a Warlock or Binder...

I am not a good D&D character.

LoyalPaladin
2015-08-11, 10:00 AM
Probably not a good idea for me PERSONALLY. Awful self-esteem means I'd like to be as distanced as possible from my actual self, please.

Plus, the only stat which could feasibly be in the positives given my weakness/clumsiness/low-pain tolerance and lack of endurance/godawful perceptiveness/overwhelming anxiety is Int, and I loathe playing Wizards. So... Psion or Beguiler? Far from my first choice in classes I'd play. I guess I could be a Warlock or Binder...

I am not a good D&D character.
You can be a factotum!

Join my party, Taveena. We shall share many marry adventures together!

Deadline
2015-08-11, 10:42 AM
You can be a factotum!

Join my party, Taveena. We shall share many marry adventures together!

Merry. It's merry adventures. Unless you were intending to propose, in which case, carry on. :smallbiggrin:

Lerondiel
2015-08-11, 10:44 AM
If you have the players to play this in the right spirit, go for it!

We ran this exact same idea 20 years ago and it was great fun.

We made clear at the start everyone was getting the same stat array because the training behind original class levels was to be physically and mentally mapped over our own fitness and studies...the stat order was just being shuffled to best reflect the individual. No way were we having a room full of people measuring themselves against each other.

The game did get sidetracked a bit though because we had the chemistry/physics/engineering students to invent a lot of stuff....we put a stop to it before crude internal combustion engines appeared on the scene...with WW1 aircraft right behind it.

The other big thing we found was the need to role play danger, pain and death properly. We took incredibly few risks because losing half your hit points and having an arrow in your shoulder really really HURTS. (We didnt quite get to the point of the DM hitting us across the table with a stick every time we took damage but it was a very different game.)

For my build its a bit of a mess. I have backgrounds in mechanical engineering, sales, ju-jitsu, theology, psychology and construction....maybe a cloistered cleric/wizard theurge with some ranks in diplomacy, know(eng&arch), sense motive plus imp grapple? But my stats might go 13,9,13,13,13,10

LoyalPaladin
2015-08-11, 11:00 AM
Merry. It's merry adventures. Unless you were intending to propose, in which case, carry on. :smallbiggrin:
I told you I have an 8 intelligence! Hahaha.

Jormengand
2015-08-11, 11:05 AM
Class, level, and ability scores from the easydamus quiz. Generally follows PF.

Well, according to this quiz, I am...

True Neutral Human Wizard (2nd Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 15
Constitution- 12
Intelligence- 18
Wisdom- 16
Charisma- 16

I want to know where you got that positive CON and STR mod from, matey. Also, the way it calculates law and chaos is a little silly (if you have 11 chaos, 10 law and 1 neutral it says you're chaotic). This means that being less lawful can make you neutral instead of chaotic, and a single question can swing you from one end to the other.

In reality, I'm probably more like:

Human, 2nd-level Expert
Medium humanoid (human)
2d6-2 (5 hp)
+1
30 ft (6 squares)
11 (1 dex)
+1/+0
Unarmed Strike +1 melee (1d3-1)
Unarmed Strike +1 melee (1d3-1)
5 ft/5 ft
Harm (Self only) 1/day
Human traits
Fort -1 Ref +1 Wil +5
Str 8 Dex 12 Con 8 Wis 14 Int 18 Cha 10
Craft (Alchemy) +9, Heal +10, Hide +6, Knowledge (Engineering) +9, Knowledge (Nature) +9 Knowledge (Religion) +9, Move Silently +6, Perform (Oratory) +5, Sleight of Hand +6, Swim +7, Tumble +6
Skill focus (Heal), Skill Focus (Swim)
Cities and towns.
Solitary
None
Always True Neutral
By character class

Though, only INT is actually directly measurable, so all my stats could be wherever. I dunno.

LoyalPaladin
2015-08-11, 11:32 AM
Well, according to this quiz, I am...
I just took the test, apparently I am:

Lawful Good Human Paladin (3rd Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 15
Dexterity- 12
Constitution- 17
Intelligence- 11
Wisdom- 15
Charisma- 16

Calimehter
2015-08-11, 12:43 PM
We did this about 15 years ago or so. We did GURPS Cthulu modern where we all had some "awakened" superpowers and got thrust into a Dresden-esque adventure against the supernatural horrors. The mechanics were obviously different from what the OP is doing but the basic concept was the same.

It worked out great for us. We did it as part of a group that had all known and gamed with each other for years, so I'm sure that helped everything go smoother. Dunno if I would try it with a group of strangers. It is also important to realize that you are aiming for a more heroic version of yourself, so a little leeway in the stats and skills is something to emphasize right off the bat. For example, my notoriously . . . incautious . . driving habits led me to take several skill points on Combat Driving (and none in ordinary driving). This was not a strictly true way to model myself (I've never had formal combat driving or police pursuit driving classes) but it was in the spirit of the game and what we were aiming for.

We got several fun sessions out of it. And the GM got to total my car with horrible monsters. :D

Edit - I just realized that I wrote that while waiting in line at the DMV. Heh.

ComaVision
2015-08-11, 01:42 PM
I don't mind the concept but there's no way I could give myself an 8 in anything.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-08-11, 01:55 PM
I'd play it, briefly. Levels 1-5, like LoyalPaladin said.

Still, I'm the sort of person with Skill Focus (Speak Language(Common)), so it'd get boring after a while. No, I'm not going to be a truenamer.

Sapreaver
2015-08-11, 02:21 PM
I would like to do something like this but I'm not sure what base class would go for an astronomer. So I picked alienist even though it's a prestige class I'd try and expand it out and make its spells all thematic for the class.

Dan Alienist 2
neutral

str 10
dex 14
con 15
int 16
wis 10
cha 8

Traits Polite, absent minded
Flaw weak willed

Feats
Still Spell, Bonded Familar, Dash, Silent Spell

Max ranks knowledge(astronomy)
Max ranks Concentration
the rest divided up among the other knowledge skills

and I have my bike with me

Taveena
2015-08-12, 04:06 AM
According to THAT goddamn test, I'm a level 1 wizard with every ability modifier except Con at -1. (Con is at -2). This includes intelligence.

... I would not enjoy playing what is effectively a 1 point buy Commoner with a familiar.

bekeleven
2015-08-12, 04:49 AM
The difficulty in assigning classes is the reason that I made my classless D&D conversion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?415690). I never ended up running the campaign, but the basic idea was: You're playing as yourself, you may have picked up some stray magical powers (warlock invocations) in the transition to the other world, but you have no magical talent and can under no circumstances cast spells.

Still, I like the system that I built. Remove the invocations if they don't suit you, and you can ad-hoc adjustments for any type of mundane character.

I am an expert 2 with the skill spread 8/12/10/13/9/8.

kalasulmar
2015-08-12, 06:10 AM
According to the survey, 5th lvl Sorcerer. NE human. I always get NE on alignment tests.

Thurbane
2015-08-12, 06:58 AM
Beguiler 2 (I've mostly worked in sales, currently working in insurance/debt recovery)

Str 14 Dex 10 Con 12 Int 16 Wis 8 Cha 15

Feats: Alertness, Blind Fight (I have acute hearing and vision, and I often walk around my house in almost pitch darkness)

Ranks in Appraise, Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Knowledge (local), Listen, Move Silently, Profession (?), Sense Motive and Spot.

Shoat
2015-08-12, 07:52 AM
I would, but only in a game with close friends (both for more honesty and for in-jokes). I'll just try building it here, though I don't think it can work out without direct feedback from people who know me well enough.

And... is there a class for students? Do you just translate real-life academics to arcane casters ingame? Or to skillmonkeys?
Or something inbetween?

In that case I'd probably be (if we're talking level 2):

Expert(1) / arcane version of Adept(1)
STR 12
DEX 6 //-2 modifier for: shaky hands + bad hand-eye-coordination
CON 13 //-2 modifier for: bad health (especially weak lungs)
INT 14
WIS 16
CHA 10

Feats:
"Being unusually good at smash bros even though it doesn't make any sense whatsoever considering how much I otherwise suck at anything that requires precision OR speed (let alone both)."
More realistically, probably Education (with the exception that it does not boost any knowledge that can logically only be attained in that specific d&d world, such as that world's history and regional stuff).

Ranks in the following Skills:
Knowledge(Computer Science), Knowledge(D&D Rules and lore), Knowledge(Metagaming: basically most of us would recognize a lot of the things and situations that can appear within a d&d world and thus avoid danger more easily)
Ranks in other skills (such as spellcraft) would obviously only come after actually playing.

Edit:
Well, that strange character quiz claims I'm a chaotic neutral Barbarian(1)/Sorcerer(1) with STR12, DEX9, CON11, INT13, WIS12, CHA10 so I guess the stat array is a bit generous in comparison. Also there were no questions regarding any sort of profession. Guess one can't rely on quizzes to analyze people that accurately.

Lerondiel
2015-08-12, 08:09 AM
Beguiler 2 (I've mostly worked in sales, currently working in insurance/debt recovery)

Haha, that is awesome! Charm and illusion all the way.

Telonius
2015-08-12, 08:14 AM
Sure, I'd play that.

I think I'd need a Flaw or two - I have pretty good Wisdom (can read people reasonably well, not all that susceptible to BS marketing and persuasion), but I have a massive penalty to Spot and Listen. As for which class, I work for a science journal mainly doing help desk stuff ... so as far as the scientists are concerned, I'm probably consorting with demons to get their files fixed. Expert if we're doing direct analogy; Binder otherwise.

... Aw crap, I just noticed I'm only a couple months away from aging penalties! :smalleek:

dascarletm
2015-08-12, 09:06 AM
... Aw crap, I just noticed I'm only a couple months away from aging penalties! :smalleek:

What!?! Only optimizers start their characters at a higher age category! :smalltongue:

Telonius
2015-08-12, 09:23 AM
Okay, so on to stats.

Str 12 (based on ability to carry a 40-pound kid without much difficulty)
Dex 8 (definitely kind of klutzy)
Con 15 (rarely get sick, long hikes are a hobby of mine)
Int 16 (based on SAT scores and educational achievements; never actually had an IQ test)
Wis ... guess I'd have to go with 10. Maybe I've just invested a bunch of skill points into Sense Motive, and have a high base save for Will.
Cha 14 (theater and debate background, able to put on a decently enjoyable game as DM)

Flaw: Inattentive (-4 to Listen and Spot), modeling my hearing and vision issues.

Aliek
2015-08-12, 12:15 PM
From easydamus' test,
You Are A:

True Neutral Elf Wizard (3rd Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 13
Dexterity- 14
Constitution- 13
Intelligence- 17
Wisdom- 16
Charisma- 11

I would, however, put myself more as an artificer than a wizard.

This type of game seems fun but I wouldn't play it for long stretches of time. There are lots of campaigns that run for years! I certainly wouldn't like to play myself for years :smallbiggrin:

BearonVonMu
2015-08-14, 03:00 PM
I actually made an account for this post. So much for being the eternal lurker. Anyway, I have run a game with this as the premise three times. Given a new party, I would run it a fourth. It is a game that I would be absolutely dying to play in myself. The way I end up running it is to have the starter characters made using d20 Modern core classes and treat them as racial hit dice as far as the game is concerned.
The core premise and hook was "If you could be anything, anything at all, what would you be? The next Tony Stark? A DnD class? A Jedi? A Maho-Tsukai? Anything." This usually involves a good chunk of homebrew/class feature swapping in order to follow through with.
It usually gets a good response, especially when the party are all good friends who have known each other for years. And I would be happy beyond dreams to be able to play in that game.
Also, for stats, this was a heroic game, so you had stats to match: Sort out what stats you would have as your highest two, your middle two, and your lowest two. Your array is 16, 16, 14, 14, 12, 12, and you get to add +4 to one of them. Why? Because if you recognize that you aren't the most charismatic person but would love to be a sorcerer, this would enable you to.

dascarletm
2015-08-14, 03:04 PM
I actually made an account for this post.

Yes!
I feel like I've accomplished something...
Into the light brother! You shall no longer live in the shadows!

One second while I go pat myself on the shoulder.:smallbiggrin: