PDA

View Full Version : Looking for something to contain fog/smoke

Jowgen
2015-08-10, 07:07 PM
I want to use either the Eversmoking bottle or Vapor Bottle (Shining South) for straight-foward concealment purposes, but I don't like how large of an area they affect. (incidentally, I also hate how badly the items explain how the smoke/fog spreads, but I digress). Looking out for partymembers who don't have awesome senses and concealment-ignoring.

So, I'm simply wondering if anyone happens to know of any simple methods by which one could contain the smoke/fog released to one 5 ft square or at least a 10-20 ft spread. Like, something that in fluff creates a barrier of air or something that has little to no game impact but could be argued to stop the spreading.

Anybody happen to know something that might work?

rockdeworld
2015-08-10, 07:12 PM
Bag of Holding

Well, that doesn't help with concealment. Gimme a sec.

Fluff: Wind Wall
Mechanics: a tent, Sofawall's cube, Resilient Sphere, Forcecage (windowless cell), Prismatic Sphere

Jowgen
2015-08-11, 07:10 AM
Sofawall's cube

Not familiar with that one, source?

Andry
2015-08-11, 07:40 AM
You could also use a weapon with the smoking enchantment.
Smoking (Lords of Darkness p.180): Upon command this weapon fills wielder's area with (5ft square) noxious smoke equivalent to stinking cloud spell (wielder not affected but any that venture into his square are). Smoke provides concealment but wielder can see through smoke as normal. Smoke dissipates and reforms when wielder moves into a new square. [+1 bonus]

Jowgen
2015-08-11, 07:43 AM
You could also use a weapon with the smoking enchantment.
Smoking (Lords of Darkness p.180): Upon command this weapon fills wielder's area with (5ft square) noxious smoke equivalent to stinking cloud spell (wielder not affected but any that venture into his square are). Smoke provides concealment but wielder can see through smoke as normal. Smoke dissipates and reforms when wielder moves into a new square. [+1 bonus]

It is a woefully under-priced WSA that is. Doesn't fly at my tables. And besides, the total concealment of the bottles suits me much better regardless.

Andry
2015-08-11, 07:46 AM
Yeah it is 3.0 so some price mediation is probably in order. I was just trying to give you an alternative.

Jowgen
2015-08-11, 07:53 AM
Yeah it is 3.0 so some price mediation is probably in order. I was just trying to give you an alternative.

It's cool, I appreciate it. :smallsmile:

Darrin
2015-08-11, 08:54 AM
So, I'm simply wondering if anyone happens to know of any simple methods by which one could contain the smoke/fog released to one 5 ft square or at least a 10-20 ft spread.

Leomund's tiny hut might work. It blocks weather effects from the outside, presumably it does so from the inside as well?

Wind wall + Sculpt Spell? Four 10' cubes for your meatbags to choose from.

Maybe a wand of fire eyes... from Masters of the Wild. I thought this was a useless spell, because how often are you trying to see through fog/smoke on a battlefield that is not magical? But then I noticed that while the text of fire eyes lists an exception for magical fog, it did not specifically mention magical smoke. So bottle of smoke + wand of fire eyes could let the entire party see through the smoke.

Psyren
2015-08-11, 09:20 AM
Eternal Wand(s) of Obscuring Mist or Fog Cloud?

rockdeworld
2015-08-11, 12:50 PM
Not familiar with that one, source?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=8187767&postcount=7

Requires some wealth or the Landlord feat and the Stronghold Builder's Guide. Create a 5' freestanding wall made of transparent material with the ability to fly/move and a hole in the middle for you/your smoke/whatever.