PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Luck Gaming

Setra
2007-05-06, 06:03 AM
This isn't meant to be an insult... basically, have you ever done something incredibly stupid in a game, and have it work out?

Example: I was playing FF7 a while back.. and was fighting Emerald, Cloud and Yuffie were dead..

Luckily Vincent had Phoenix.. (He also had Life 2, but Phoenix is more fun to mention) but he also had Bahamut Zero..

I cast Bahamut Zero, instead of reviving my Party Members, and it killed Emerald.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-05-06, 08:06 AM
I don't remember something myself, but there:

Warning, Ender's spoiler
The guy targeted the ennemy's planet instead of the ships

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-06, 08:08 AM
Can't really think of anything of the top of my head except this:

I was playing Counter-Strike against the computer for fun on the Assault (?) level. Terrorist popped out from the corner of a building miles away, and I threw the grenade I was carrying just to get rid of it, and it blew up next to the bot's head, killing him outright. I was quite happy.

Artemician
2007-05-06, 08:21 AM
Ahh... dumb luck Gaming. God, how I love those moments.

When playing DotA, catching the opposing team fighting Roshan and slaughtering them amidst shouts of "Lucky!" and "Tyco!" is always fun.

As is accidentally pressing the wrong button in a firefight, only for a grenade to fly out and hit someone.

Or just randomly charging round a corner waving a sword and impaling the sod who just happened to be sneaking up slowly on you with a plasma grenade in his left hand.

Or how about the times when you're running out of health and you spray everything at that boss just as he happens to turn vulnerable, thus killing him.

:)

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-05-06, 08:24 AM
I was playing System Shock 2, and as I was playing I saw a Rumbler (big nasty) and started to backpedal while firing. Well, it caught up to me, and hit me... and knocked me outside the ship, through this big window thing that you normally can't move through. I could walk around the entire ship, then jump down right near my objective.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-05-06, 08:34 AM
GalCiv2. One big empire was eating me trough influence, so I ordered a pre-emptive strike, declaring effective state of war. They outclassed me military a lot, but I knew wits was on my side. So it would have been an even fight (I maybe have lost..)

But I then learnt that this empire had more ennemies than just me, and 3 other people joined the war with me. We eated him while he kept screaming.

So.. dumb luck at work :smallbiggrin:

(small thing happened at Civ4, but it was less critical...)

Dr._Weird
2007-05-06, 09:44 AM
Dumb luck? Alright. I was playing Halo 2, using the rocket launcher. I ran out of ammo, and there were still a few brutes left. Instead of retreating and switching to my other weapon, I charged one and whacked it. Me and my allies won that fight, and I didn't do anything but melee while my allies shot.

Calamity
2007-05-06, 02:48 PM
Very recently, I was play KH and Xaldin was totally beating me up (and King Mickey had already saved me enought times in the battle) and party members were both KO'd, when Donald suddenly got up and cast thunder of Xaldin and knocked him back, so I was able to finsih him. It was very lucky.

Maxymiuk
2007-05-06, 04:23 PM
A couple moments come to mind, one from Counterstrike, and one from Day of Defeat.

In Day of Defeat, I was playing on dod_charlie (a beachfront assault style map) as the Axis. At the very start of the round, I totted out the MG-42, deployed it from a sandbag bunker and, knowing that in a moment I'd get shot anyway, sprayed down the entire beach in one long burst.
I wiped out the entire first wave, and that's including those snipers taking cover underwater.

In Counterstrike, I was playing de_dust2 as a CT, and as most people who played that map know, there's two areas to plant explosives in there, conveniently labeled A and B. At the start of the round the entire team headed towards A, and I alone headed towards B.
Well, turns out the whole Terrorist team decided to pile into B. All seven of them.
I had the Commando. What followed was maybe not the longest, but definitely the most intense run of good luck I ever had. The terrorists would keep popping out of that tunnel, and I'd keep gunning them down, taking cover to reload, and standing up to shoot again. They tried to pin me down, they tried to flank me, they tried to rush me. I kept scoring lucky headshots.
At the end I was almost out of ammo, down to 4 health, and still had to disarm the bomb. But I killed every single one of them before my teammates realized they went the wrong way.

Setra
2007-05-06, 06:10 PM
In Counterstrike, I was playing de_dust2 as a CT, and as most people who played that map know, there's two areas to plant explosives in there, conveniently labeled A and B. At the start of the round the entire team headed towards A, and I alone headed towards B.
Well, turns out the whole Terrorist team decided to pile into B. All seven of them.
I had the Commando. What followed was maybe not the longest, but definitely the most intense run of good luck I ever had. The terrorists would keep popping out of that tunnel, and I'd keep gunning them down, taking cover to reload, and standing up to shoot again. They tried to pin me down, they tried to flank me, they tried to rush me. I kept scoring lucky headshots.
At the end I was almost out of ammo, down to 4 health, and still had to disarm the bomb. But I killed every single one of them before my teammates realized they went the wrong way.
That's just hilarious. In a good way, of course.

blackout
2007-05-06, 08:05 PM
Ok. I was playing Dark Crusade earlier, this is just plain stupid.

I was playing on hard mdoe, single player campaign, as Chaos Marines. I was invading the Eldar stronghold(last province on the map I DIDN'T control, short of the Hyperion Peaks, which was garrisoned by a splinter group of Orks I couldn't dislodge no matter how hard I tried,), and my entire Honor Guard died. Just as my hero was about to die, he was rescued by a significant number of Chaos Marines I sent in before the Honor Guard was wiped off the map. They got killed too, but my hero got back to my base, which was mostly safe.

NEO|Phyte
2007-05-06, 08:49 PM
Its not MY dumb luck, but I'm involved, so thats close enough.

Playing some Enemy Territory at a LAN, the one map where you need to steal radar bits or some such. I've got one of the radar pieces, and am legging it towards where it needs to end up, swerving to make myself a harder target. I get to the edge of the raised area, jump...

...and get splattered by a rocket that had been fired from across the map at me.

Krade
2007-05-06, 09:22 PM
Playing a 3-player deathmatch of Halo 2. It would take longer for me to describe the gimpiness of my controller than it would take for V to do a "quick" summary of the entire OotS story line. Highlights include, "Can't move staight forward" and "Can't turn and move at once."

Naturally, being so gimped, I needed power weapons, namely swords and rockets. One of the other guys was destroying us in the banshee, with the other guy not being good enough to take one down, and me being gimped so badly, there was nothing we could do. Until, of course, I shoot at the OTHER guy with a rocket, miss, and hit the banshee, which wasn't even on my screen at the time. It was the single most awesome thing ever. EVER.

Lemur
2007-05-06, 09:58 PM
This wasn't really dumb luck, just dumb tactics that happened to work.

I was playing Jedi Academy, with a character who used dual lightsabers. I had beaten the game before with other characters, but I should note that I've never been particularly skilled in first person shooters. While I had been able to beat the crazy Sith lady with little trouble with different lightsaber styles, I just couldn't do it with the dual lightsaber style, which was too weak to cut through her defenses.

My roommate was watching, and says, "Use your thermal detonators! They solve everything." My reaction was initially, "That's stupid, she'll just push them away."

"Do it at point-blank range."
"Hmm..."

My character had force protection and force heal, so avoiding and dealing with damage wasn't impossible. Still, the tactic was ridiculous. But I didn't have any other ideas. So I started running up to her, and firing my rockets, and thermal detonators at her at melee range. She'd try to push them back, but they'd just hit me, and she'd be caught in the ensuing explosion.

After a stupid amount of explosions to the face, she bit the dust. Who needs lightsabers anyway?

Rawhide
2007-05-06, 10:27 PM
Counterstrike beta, I wasn't playing at the time, but I walked behind someone's computer as he was taking a smoke break. He was still in the game at the start point with $16000. I thought to myself "yeah, he has the money", sat down purchased a Para (AKA: M249 PARA Light Machine Gun or M249 Squad Assault Weapon (SAW) depending on CS version) for the hell of it and proceeded to wipe out every single enemy with the least accurate weapon on full spray.

Ranis
2007-05-06, 10:49 PM
Gears of War online play.

All three of my teammates I know IRL, and we're doing some serious kickassery. We're playing on Gridlock, and all three of them have died in the first 30 seconds. I grabbed the sniper rifle and bolted when things looked bad; I'm by the overturned cars near the spawn that Locust start at. I see two enemies coming, and one lagging behind, trying to get a Boomshot shot lined up. I shoot a random, unaimed shot from the sniper to get an active reload shot in the barrel, so I can down one of my assailants.

I get a headshot. A random, unadulterated headshot. It was beautiful. The other one comes closer, so I whip my shotgun out and get behind the car, to shoot at him. He ducks behind the other car, and we start blindfiring at each other to waste time. The enemy finishes actively reloading his whole clip and charges around the corner.

Remember the third guy with the boomshot? Guess who has an itchy trigger finger.

The boomshot round caused me to get several chunks of little bitty Locust bits flown past me. I rushed out from my cover and one-shotted the guy while he was reloading the Boomshot. Before I execute my kill, I see the head of the teammate he had just killed land near me. I chuckle as I get an AR reload at the exact moment I crush his head into the pavement.

I love Gears of War.

Krade
2007-05-07, 12:32 AM
This wasn't really dumb luck, just dumb tactics that happened to work.

That is luck because I was sort of aiming at the other guy (remember the bit about the gimp controller), who was on foot. I screwed up the controls, accidently looked upwards when I fired, and hit the guy I was NOT aiming for that I didn't even know was there in the first place. How is that not luck?

Destro_Yersul
2007-05-07, 01:18 AM
Woo! Dumb luck!

Halo 2 on midship, being chased by a guy with a shotgun, no shields left. I've got the rocket launcher with one shot. Instead of blowing my attacker into tiny bits I decide that he won't get my launcher and fire a random shot across the map. Said shot hits the other guy's teammate, killing him.

Ninja Gaiden Black, fighting the helicopter. I have almost no life left, meaning one rocket from the copter will kill me. I do, however, have health potions. Instead of using those though, I'm like "screw it" and I fire everything I've got at the copter without even aiming. I hit with every last shot.

Icewalker
2007-05-07, 01:54 AM
Halo:

Facing off against a covenent tank, and a banshee is flying down towards me from above. You know how the covenent tanks do a kind of mortar blue energy cannon thing? It fired, arced up, the banshee came down towards me, and got hit by it, and destroyed.

Maxymiuk
2007-05-07, 06:34 AM
Alright, I've got another one.

I was playing a duel with my brother in Kingpin, a game which (and this is relevant to the topic at hand) as far as I'm concerned wins the award for the most inaccurate weapons in an FPS.
I don't remember the name of the map - it was one of the biggest ones though, the one with an actual elevator, and a grenade launcher hidden on top of a billboard.
Now, my brother was actually fairly skilled with both the shotgun, and the grenade launcher, and had a far better memory for armor drops, so in the following scenario, he already had an advantage. Add to that the fact that I'd still keep getting lost on that map, things weren't looking too hot for me.
We ran into each other in one of the corridors, I eeped and ducked behind the corner, avoiding a shotgun blast. I started retreating...
And for the next ten minutes he chased me around the entire map. We'd keep grabbing every weapon we ran across and firing it at each other, scoring only glancing blows. There was no time for outflanking, or ambushes, because I knew better than to stop moving, and he was like the friggin' Juggernaut. Shotgun, pistol with the Magnum upgrade, tommy gun, rocket launcher, flamethrower... and he just kept coming.
I realize now that in that game if you have body armor, bullet impacts don't show up as blood splotches, but back then it downright terrified me that my weapons seemed to have zero effect. So I kept running, every now and then firing blindly into the passages behind me.
Finally, when my nerves were more than a little frayed, I remembered which way to get to the heavy machinegun. I grabbed it, jumped across to the other roof, and turned around.
My brother ran out of the passage blasting his shotgun. And I gibbed him. Turned out he had little armor and 50% health left.

Larrin
2007-05-08, 10:40 AM
The first time I beat Jedi Academy, i killed the final incarnation of the end boss in the first flurry of strikes (its always possible apparently, I was killed enough with one well place lightsaber strike)....essentially it went: Cutscene showing boss enter final incarnation->Final "You won" cut scene, with barely a secound or two in between of me doing what ever attack the initial cutscene had interupted.....Very anti climatic.

Also, in Jedi Knights two i won one of the main boss fights by running away up a pile of boxes next to a chasm....the boss jumped...and missed me and landed in the chasm.....i don't think i even swung my lightsaber (but maybe i did, it was a while ago)

Talanic
2007-05-08, 11:33 PM
Okay, here's a bit older than some, but better than most mentioned.

Thief II. Mission right after Casing the Joint, in which you have to steal from the mansion you just scoped out. I'm low on health, a guard just spotted me, and I am out of flash bombs. Difficulty is on Expert; I can't kill him, since the rules added by Expert difficulty mean that would fail the mission.

I run out into the hallway and hear the distinctive PING! PING! of the security system. It's pegged me, which means that the grenade launcher is going to fire in about one second. I swerve in a desperate dodge, and POW! The grenade fires!

Hitting the guard in the head, right in front of me.

These are not contact grenades, but time-fused. They're fired at a ludicrous speed, though (not rate of fire, but velocity). So I see this grenade bounce off the hapless guard's skull, bounce once on the floor, and land on the security system camera. BOOM. Security system disabled.

I wait a moment for mission failure due to a guard's death. Nothing happens.

I check the guard. Knocked out cold by the grenade, but not dead.

Martok
2007-05-10, 01:55 AM
I was playing Medieval Total War. I was fighting a defensive battle where I knew I was pretty much SOL: The enemy had me outnumbered something like 4 or 5-to-1, and the province I was guarding gave the advantage to any would-be invader -- there were no mountains, river crossings, or other terrain that I could really exploit. The best I could hope for was to hurt the enemy as much as possible before my army was destroyed or forced to retreat.

However, I had just hired a couple mercenary Trebuchet crews who were passing through the previous year. Having nothing to lose, I went ahead and deployed them in the battle, figuring they could at least get a couple shots off with their artillery before having to withdraw. Well you can imagine my surprise (and delight) when one of them managed to fling a big rock right on top of the enemy general, killing him instantly! His army, obviously disheartened by his death, lost the will to fight -- to my complete & utter astonishment, they all turned right around and marched home. (Needless to say, the artillery crews didn't have to pay for drinks the rest of the campaign season.) :smallbiggrin:

MaxKaladin
2007-05-10, 03:54 PM
Medieval: Total War (The first one, not the new one):

I'm playing the Holy Roman Empire and I end up getting invaded while my best troops are off at the other end of my kingdom fighting someone else. To oppose them, I've gathered a fairly substantial force and placed them under my king. I meet the invaders and deploy for battle. I have a tactical and numeric avantage but it does me no good. The enemy forces tear through my army like it isn't even there. All but a tiny remnant of my army is killed or routed from the field in just a few minutes. In desperation, I send my king and his bodyguard in. They charge the enemy king hoping to rout his army by killing him. Unfortunately, he routs and flees the field leaving the king and his bodyguard fighting a desperate battle against hundreds of enemy troops. One by one the bodyguard falls until, finally, only the king remains on the field along with about 30 or so assorted footmen who have taken cover in a forest.

I spent the rest of the battle -- and it was a long one -- charging into intact formations of enemy troops with my king and occasionally riding to the rescue of that little remnant of footmen. It was suicidal yet, somehow, through dumb luck, he never got killed. He demolished whole formations and sent them routing. The enemy rotated many formations of troops off the field and brought in reinforcements -- and he demolished them as well. When he charged for the first time, the enemy army was virtually intact. All of his forces barely made a dent in the enemy before fleeing the field. Between him, his bodyguard and a few motley footmen, he pretty much demolished a huge enemy army. In the end, the enemy retreated and left my lone king and the few surviving footmen in posession of the field.

It was all dumb luck because I don't know of any other way he could have survived all that combat. Typically, as I'm sure anyone who played the game will attest, leaders are pretty fragile and sending them to battle is pretty risky.

Edit: I've pretty much decided to work this into the history of a homebrew world for D&D. The guy seemed to be a good example of what a high-level fighter could do...

Martok
2007-05-11, 01:12 AM
Ah, so you benefitted from MTW's "Jedi Generals" phenomenon. They're a pain to kill when the enemy army is commanded by one of these demi-gods; but on the other hand, they sure are nice when you have one fighting on your side (as you discovered)! :smallsmile:

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-05-11, 01:37 AM
playing Werewolf:The Apocalypse with a bunch of friends...a girl with us asks if her Pumonca can use the gift 'Thunderbolt' indoors. Technically, it doesn't say it can't, and even says that odd things with the bolt are possible but the diff goes up (need to roll a 7+ on a d10 as opposed to a 6 for a single succ) I tell her it is kinda impossible given that they are indoors and the lightining will be comming from outside and down a corridor...she says 'pleaaaaaaase'? so I decide in my head on a difficulty 10 and just say..."Impress me with a roll"...

With a grin on her face, she grabs the dice and rolls her gnosis of 7...she rolls 6 10's and a 9...I am just shocked...as is everyone else...the gift goes off and I am laughing as I explain how the lightning bolt shoots down, into the window, goes bouncing around the concrete hallway and slams into the target missing everyone but leaving all momentarily deaf and slightly singed.

One of the biggest luck rolls in a gaming event ever...

Playing 'doom 2' multiplayer for the first time...I am lost on the big maps and so turned around with the teleporters that I have no idea what I am doing...I keep going through this teleporter and wonder WTF...where is that guy...I know he comes this way...my friend knew the map very well and had a few habits, but I couldn't find him...meanwhile I was getting kills and didn't know how, since I never saw him...turned out that I kept telefraging him damn near every time I went into a room and never realized it...made alot more sense later when he was cussing me out for killing him like that. *lol*

Koga
2007-05-11, 02:08 AM
Was playing Legend of Zelda and with just four hearts went into the castle with the blue thing with mutiple heads and just whailed on him.

It was stupid because one hit from him could've killed me and he would not find this out till much later in spoilers. The Koga just never gave him the oppurtunity to findout.

ChomZ
2007-05-11, 10:45 AM
this isn't my dumb luck, but someone elses:
I was playing Call of Duty against this guy.. he knew what he was doing.. well..

anyway.. I was just hiding cus everytime I went to a position I could look around the guy would just shoot me.. instantly I have no idea how he did it..
so I was hiding.. and the guy thinks to himself.. I wonder where he is.. and decided to take a random shot.. which managed to skip just through a little crack he couldn't even see between a window and a wall to hit me in the head and kill me

Rejakor
2007-05-11, 11:36 AM
Mmmm, dumb luck.

Well this is a combination of luck and skill(i'm lying about the skill part), one time when I was playing CS 1.5, on de_dust, I was playing CT and the entire CT team ran off down the underpass like retarded monkeys. Well, me and my trusty MP5 went into the cave-like-room-place, only to find it filled with 8 terrorists, the entire enemy team! Well, I basically screamed like a little girl and emptied my clip, reloaded, and emptied my clip again. When I opened my eyes, I was looking at a room full of dead terrorists, and I hadn't lost a single point of health despite the walls, ceiling and floor being covered in bullet holes and two explosion marks. Woo!

In Rome: Total War, I was doing a bridge defence online, as part of the multiplayer campaign my clan was running. Well, facing me was one of the most skilled players in the entire clan, and he had me outnumbered about 5:1. I don't even know why I was playing. Well. His earlier cavalry skirmishes had been pushed back by my light skirmishers, itself a feat of ridiculous luck, so he pushed his heavy infantry across the bridge, since I had about two crappy units of barbarians to stop him. Of course, my ballistae, the whole two of them, choose that moment to fire flaming bolts into the crowd of men on the bridge, for some retarded reason 'skipping' (something that happens very rarely - a bolt will 'skip' from one unit to hit another or the ground) across the length of the bridge, enflambing most of the army and causing them to rout. Wha-ho!

In F.E.A.R. I had some massive dumb luck. I was on 20 health, no health packs, the highest difficulty setting, three bullets in my gun. And my nerves were fragged by that little girl. Three clonetroopers were in the hallway ahead of me, guarding an ammo and health dump. I thought "oh, screw it" and leapt into the corridor, firing my gun's three-shot burst. As I waited for a wall of red-hot death to come down the corridor towards me, I noticed that the clonetroopers were dead. Each one neatly headshotted. Woo!

In Zero Hour, me and my friend were playing against each other. I had China, he had GLA. So, I had a nuclear missile ready to fire, and I got it out (ready to fire at a single click) as I scrolled sideways to get to his base. I accidentally clicked. While I was kicking myself, since I wanted to hit his missile site, which had mere seconds left on the clock before it was ready, the counter suddenly stopped, so I sent in a tank, and found the ruins of a secret base. Woo!

Many, many, many more. Mostly to do with lucky coincidences in strategy games. Fear my dawn of war luck.

PlatinumJester
2007-05-12, 10:34 AM
On multiplayer Halo 2 in the snow level my friend had a rocket launcher and I had a a sniper. We clashed in a corridor whre I had no time to aim so I dodged to rockets, fired randomly and got my friend straight in the head.
Then he respawned with a sword but this time we met outside by a rail. He lunged just a I jumped and went flying off the edge.

If you wnat an unlucky thing when I was playing pokemon red as child my gameboy batteries were running out. Just as I was saving they died and I lost all my 151 pokemon :(

Glaivemaster
2007-05-12, 05:43 PM
Not really my dumb luck, but kind of, since it involves Juggernaut on Halo 2 multiplayer. We put the juggernaut as powerful as possible, invisibility, overshields, super-power, everything. He was insane to kill, unless all three other players ganged up on him at once, and he didn't fight back much

He was chasing one guy down, on the level 'Relic' I think it's called. The guy he was chasing knew he was dead anyway, so he started running into the sea, with the monster still chasing him. He falls into the sea and dies, then the juggernaut doesn't stop, and also runs into the sea, killing himself

Maldraugedhen
2007-05-13, 10:05 PM
This is one my dad related to me from his college days. He was playing a hex-based WWII board game against one of his pals, and his men were being pinned down in a building by a sniper in a neighboring building. So, he had a rifleman in a separate building, in a desperate bid to free them, try to toss a grenade onto the roof of the building, hoping the explosion would throw off the guy's aim or distract him or something. They check the scatter of the grenade, and find out it bounces down the stairwell. They randomize the floor the grenade bounces out on, and it bounces out on the same floor as the sniper. They check its scatter again, and it scatters basically to his feet. The sniper gets blown out the window before he can react.

Needless to say, the other guy wasn't very happy.

Mr._Blinky
2007-05-13, 10:58 PM
That is luck because I was sort of aiming at the other guy (remember the bit about the gimp controller), who was on foot. I screwed up the controls, accidently looked upwards when I fired, and hit the guy I was NOT aiming for that I didn't even know was there in the first place. How is that not luck?

Um, I'm pretty sure he was talking about his own post there, not yours.

Krade
2007-05-16, 10:33 AM
Um, I'm pretty sure he was talking about his own post there, not yours.

You know, I think you're right. That does make some sense now that someone pointed that out. Sorry people. My bad.

EagleWiz
2007-05-16, 10:49 AM
Oblivion, Shivering Iles expansion pack: I attack the gatekeeper without any of the "needed equipment" and after a while im at like 12 health. (Level 20)
So i ignore HP pots charge at him, he uses his touch attack (Poison/Knockdown) spell hits and is stoped by my (REALLY WIMPY) spell reflection. Gatekeeper goes flying, falls down, trys to get up, gets hit by me 15 times in the process and dies.

Irenaeus
2007-05-16, 11:04 AM
While I was approaching the enemy, somebody fired at me from behind at fairly close range, hitting a tree right in front of me instead. I panicked, threw myself round anddived sideways while I fired at random. By pure luck (I didn't know where the guy was when I started fireing) I hit him on the inside of the thigh.

We were playing paintball by the way.

I don't think John Woo tactics usually pays off, but it worked for me. I bruised my elbow fairly bad when landing, though. They don't tell you about that part in the movies.

Prustan
2007-05-17, 05:33 AM
Not sure if this really counts as dumb luck, but I thought this really great. Playing some Battlefield: Vietnam (Operation Fireshot) against my brother-in-law and nephew tonight, and most of the time my in-law was in a plane or helicopter (my nephew actually managed to kill me once, and we both congratulated him on such a good shot).
One time, I'd taken the M.U.T.T. and was just speeding along the bridge to the main island, when I spotted a jet out of the corner of the screen. Switched to the gunner's seat and fired a blind round before switching back to see my in-law's plane exploding.
Best moment of the game though was when my in-law had me pinned down on the small island - he had a tank and was shelling quite accurately from the main island. I was a LAW person, and knew that there was no way I could get a vehicle across the bridge, so I decided to swim it. Had a LAW out ready to sneak up behind him and start firing, and I'd just started up the bank on the left side of the bridge, when I see a tank start rolling down right at me. Quickly fired off a blind round while backpedalling (and yelling in surprise/shock), then ducked through the bridge supports and came around behind him. He must of gotten stuck or something, because I got to shoot another two LAWs into him without retaliation.
Good times.