PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Warmage

Shadowscale
2015-08-11, 03:49 AM
What in pathfindwr would be the closest equivalent to a warmage and how would someone build a character to emulate the class and all its abilities and features 1-20?

Mage keeper
2015-08-11, 04:52 AM
crossblooded sorcerer1/evoker wizard 19
take orc bloodline and draconic so you add +1 to every damage die you throw (+2 in cased the damage is the same of you draconic bloodline)
With the evoker you get intense spell each time you cast a damage evocation you have a bounus on your damage equal to half of your wizard level but remember

This bonus only applies once to a spell, not once per missile or ray, and cannot be split between multiple missiles or rays. This bonus damage is not increased by Empower Spell or similar effects. This damage is of the same type as the spell

Psyren
2015-08-11, 08:43 AM
I'd go with a Sound Striker Magician Bard, picking up blasty spells with Expanded Repertoire (and backup-blasting with Weird Words + Verbose Performer) and amassing a collection of wands. That would get me to a light-armor-wearing, T3/T4 mage that can do a handful of other things as needed.

Shadowscale
2015-08-12, 02:25 AM
I'd go with a Sound Striker Magician Bard, picking up blasty spells with Expanded Repertoire (and backup-blasting with Weird Words + Verbose Performer) and amassing a collection of wands. That would get me to a light-armor-wearing, T3/T4 mage that can do a handful of other things as needed.

No way to really capture a pure evoker in full plate with all the sudden metamagics?

grarrrg
2015-08-12, 02:43 AM
with all the sudden metamagics?

Sacred Geometry.
*shudders*

Psyren
2015-08-12, 08:24 AM
No way to really capture a pure evoker in full plate with all the sudden metamagics?

Don't they only go up to medium?

And as grarrg noted, Sacred Geometry (bleh) gets you all the Sudden Metamagic you could ever want, multiple times/day.

Milo v3
2015-08-12, 09:12 AM
I'm surprised there isn't a magus archetype for this. I mean... they're magic warriors who can go around in heavy armour without spell failure chance, get sudden metamagics, and have a lot of evocation spells.

Psyren
2015-08-12, 09:22 AM
I'm surprised there isn't a magus archetype for this.

You mean for wearing armor and being blasty instead of gishing? Yeah I agree. Though I suppose you could do something like that with Hellknight Signifier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/hellknight-signifer).

Milo v3
2015-08-12, 09:24 AM
You mean for wearing armor and being blasty instead of gishing? Yeah I agree. Though I suppose you could do something like that with Hellknight Signifier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/hellknight-signifer).

*Shudders*
Prestige classes.

Edit: Hmm... wonder if an armour implement battlehost with a focus on evocation would work...

Kurald Galain
2015-08-12, 09:28 AM
I'm surprised there isn't a magus archetype for this. I mean... they're magic warriors who can go around in heavy armour without spell failure chance, get sudden metamagics, and have a lot of evocation spells.

There basically is, it's called "one-level dip in crossblooded sorcerer".

Psyren
2015-08-12, 09:28 AM
*Shudders*
Prestige classes.

Yar.

On the bright side though, 9th-level spells!

If you stick a wizard in there, you barely lose anything, while with a sorcerer you could use some kind of Eldritch Heritage shenanigans to keep a bloodline advanced.

Milo v3
2015-08-12, 09:30 AM
There basically is, it's called "one-level dip in crossblooded sorcerer".

That's not a very good magus archetype :smalltongue:

... also it still has spell combat and spellstrike.

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-12, 10:37 AM

Does Sound Striker still work as written on the PFSRD? I heard something about it being nerfed (which makes sense; the number of attacks you can get from Weird Words is fair and balanced), but haven't found any rules text/FAQs/errata to that effect. Can they really just use Weird Words every round and outdamage the rest of their party?

Psyren
2015-08-12, 10:49 AM
Does Sound Striker still work as written on the PFSRD? I heard something about it being nerfed (which makes sense; the number of attacks you can get from Weird Words is fair and balanced), but haven't found any rules text/FAQs/errata to that effect. Can they really just use Weird Words every round and outdamage the rest of their party?

The PFSRD has been kinda slow with the updates of late :smallfrown: Anyway, Here you go (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9t4f):

It's basically 4d6+Cha at 6th level, and every 4 levels you can fire another 4d6+Cha (but if you hit the same target, they only take your Cha mod once.) It also does sonic damage instead of physical now, but still requires a ranged-touch attack. Each word uses a round of performance.

So at 20 this means you're doing 16d6+Cha sonic damage to one target, or you can do 8d6+Cha to each of two targets and so on.

Add in Duettist you can do 32d6+Cha (or rather, 16d6+your Cha, followed by 16d6+familiar's Cha) sonic in one round but it will burn through 8 rounds of performance.

Shadowscale
2015-08-12, 12:14 PM
I'm thinking of using that prestige class not sure what type of base caster to enter with though since warmage was both int and cha dependent

Dusk Eclipse
2015-08-12, 02:24 PM
Arcanist? white text of posting+1

Psyren
2015-08-12, 02:56 PM
I'm thinking of using that prestige class not sure what type of base caster to enter with though since warmage was both int and cha dependent

Wait, you want to be MAD? :smalltongue:

As Dusk mentioned, Arcanist is an option there, but the opportunity cost of the exploits you'd lose makes PrCing less attractive.

Serafina
2015-08-12, 03:08 PM
*Shudders*
Prestige classes.

Edit: Hmm... wonder if an armour implement battlehost with a focus on evocation would work...Well, here is what they get:
- Martial Weapons, Heavy Armor, Shield Proficiency
- Medium BAB, Good Fortitude and Will Saves
- Up to 6th-level spells
- Limited spells known but spontaneous casting. 1 spell/school though you can select a implement/spell school multiple times to learn more spells. Sadly, your spell-selection will be pretty poor.
- Up to (1+(1/2 levels) bonus damage to spells. Doesn't scale with damage dice, at most it's +11 damage.
- An ability that allows them to exclude squares from an area-of-effect spell.
- Abilities to unleash energy rays, energy blasts or create energy walls.

However, the only thing that is exclusive to a Battle Host Occultist here is the Heavy Armor, all Occultists get Medium Armor by default.

If you want to learn significantly more spells, you could be a Sha'ir instead - you can add spells from Elemental Schools to your list that way and learns one spell from the Jins school (such as Evocation) and one from its Elemental School (Air, Earth, Fire, Water). You still have medium armor, you can still select Evocation, but you also gain elemental companions (though they are not that strong). You should also gain the damage bonus, though it is currently a bit unclear whether a Jin within 30 foot of you counts as "carried" for a Resonant Power.

Blasting Spells available to the Occultist. Cursive denotes spells from Elemental Schools, if you're a Sha'ir:
1st Level: Burning Hands, Shocking Grasp
2nd Level: Burning Gaze, Flaming Sphere, Frost Fall, Sound Burst, Acid Arrow, Fire Breath, Scorching Ray
3rd Level: Call Lightning, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Flame Arrow
4th Level: Ball Lightning, Greater Flaming Sphere, Ice Storm, Shout, Detonate, Dragons Breath,
5th Level: Call Lightning Storm, Cone of Cold, Fire Snake
6th Level: Chain Lightning, Cold Ice Strike, Sirocco, Acid Fog, Contagious Flame
Yep, a pretty poor selection of spells. Lots of fire especially at early levels, and you're missing some staples unless you're a Sha'ir (and even then you're limited to elemental schools)

Shadowscale
2015-08-12, 03:17 PM
Wait, you want to be MAD? :smalltongue:

As Dusk mentioned, Arcanist is an option there, but the opportunity cost of the exploits you'd lose makes PrCing less attractive.

So going into that orc as an arcanist would be bad you think for any potential power?

Psyren
2015-08-12, 03:59 PM
So going into that orc as an arcanist would be bad you think for any potential power?

You'd have to build an arcanist really badly to get it down to a warmage's level so I dunno... "Bad" depends on what your target is really.

Shadowscale
2015-08-12, 05:19 PM
You'd have to build an arcanist really badly to get it down to a warmage's level so I dunno... "Bad" depends on what your target is really.

I just really liked what the class was despite being low tier, I loved the simple evocation spell list, armor proficiencies, meta magics and how they got to add to their damage.

charcoalninja
2015-08-12, 08:46 PM
I just really liked what the class was despite being low tier, I loved the simple evocation spell list, armor proficiencies, meta magics and how they got to add to their damage.

Magus seems to be the best fit IMO. Heavy armour, evocation focused, blasts things. A crossblooded sorc dip gives you the + to damage, especially with fire. If you're blasting you don't need any spells higher than 6th anyway.

Empowred Scorching ray alone deals 18d6+36 damage, emp vampiric touch is 15d6+15 (IIRC) and the humble fireball is 10d6+20 (15d6+30 empowered).

Take the magical lineage trait to help reduce the metamagic costs on your favourite blast and you're golden.

Shadowscale
2015-08-12, 10:37 PM
Magus seems to be the best fit IMO. Heavy armour, evocation focused, blasts things. A crossblooded sorc dip gives you the + to damage, especially with fire. If you're blasting you don't need any spells higher than 6th anyway.

Empowred Scorching ray alone deals 18d6+36 damage, emp vampiric touch is 15d6+15 (IIRC) and the humble fireball is 10d6+20 (15d6+30 empowered).

Take the magical lineage trait to help reduce the metamagic costs on your favourite blast and you're golden.

which bloodlines?