PDA

View Full Version : Nolzur’s Marvelous Pigments...

NevinPL
2015-08-11, 05:23 AM
...can be used to "bypass" walls by painting door on to them, but how to "bypass" iron bar cage, etc. ? Paint Bolt Cutters, Hacksaw ?

frogglesmash
2015-08-11, 05:28 AM
Painting a door is a waste of paint, just paint a seam, and maybe some hinges. For iron bars you could paint cracks/seams, or you could get creative and paint them into some other material such as glass, or lead, or paint them out of existence, after all nothing said the pigments had create matter. Another thing you could is paint a very large pile of spyglasses at the bottom of a very deep pit and sell them for a ridiculous profit, but this doesn't actually solve any problems unless you consider not having the DMG thrown at your head to be a problem.

NevinPL
2015-08-13, 11:36 AM
Any idea\one else ?

Alistaroc
2015-08-13, 11:41 AM
Any idea\one else ?
Paint cloth in two lines, one at the top of the bars, and one t the bottom. Push out, run away.

NevinPL
2015-08-14, 05:32 AM
Paint cloth in two lines, one at the top of the bars, and one t the bottom. Push out, run away.
That would only work if Pigments "transform" the existing material, and not add a new one. I'm not sure it works that way.

Chronos
2015-08-14, 06:21 AM
The part I wonder about painting doors: From the painter's side, it seems pretty clear. As you add more paint, the wall looks more and more like a door, until it looks close enough that you can open it. But what does it look like if you're on the other side of the wall? Do you also see the door in the process of being painted? Does the door just suddenly appear in total the moment the painting is finished? Does it not look like a door at all, just remaining another section of wall, but then it opens?

Khedrac
2015-08-14, 06:30 AM
The part I wonder about painting doors: From the painter's side, it seems pretty clear. As you add more paint, the wall looks more and more like a door, until it looks close enough that you can open it. But what does it look like if you're on the other side of the wall? Do you also see the door in the process of being painted? Does the door just suddenly appear in total the moment the painting is finished? Does it not look like a door at all, just remaining another section of wall, but then it opens?
I rather think NelvinPL just summarized the answer to this nicely...

That would only work if Pigments "transform" the existing material, and not add a new one. I'm not sure it works that way.
On the other side of the wall you see nothing. When you open the door you see the wall the door was created on top of...

That or it's a secret/concealed door from the other side - probably without an opening mechanism.

nedz
2015-08-14, 07:15 AM
Marvelous Pigments
These magic emulsions enable their possessor to create actual, permanent objects simply by depicting their form in two dimensions.

So you could make a Hacksaw, or a key, or a gap in the bar perhaps ?

Another thing you could is paint a very large pile of spyglasses at the bottom of a very deep pit and sell them for a ridiculous profit,
Wouldn't work, well you'd get a pile of fake spyglasses.

Marvelous Pigments
Objects of value depicted by the pigments —precious metals, gems, jewelry, ivory, and so on— appear to be valuable but are really made of tin, lead, paste, brass, bone, and other such inexpensive materials.

Darrin
2015-08-14, 10:03 AM
Wouldn't work, well you'd get a pile of fake spyglasses.

Not necessarily. The pigments are designed to create normal, inanimate, mundane objects. The spyglass appears on the basic equipment list as a mundane object, it just happens to have a high price tag. There's nothing in the description to suggest that it's made out of gold/silver/gems/etc.

The pigments have a 2000 GP "price cap" but it's not clear from the text if this is a "per item" limit or a "per pot" limit. You'll have to establish with the DM if the 2000 GP applies to each item created or if that's the maximum limit for the entire pot. If it's a per-item limit, then the best bang for your buck would be a 10' x 10' room filled floor-to-ceiling with vials of Luhix (2000 GP, BoVD p. 43). Assuming a "dose" = 1 ounce, 1000 cubic feet = 957,506 ounces = 1,915,012,000 GP.

ericgrau
2015-08-14, 10:31 AM
It's not in the SRD but painting a door on a wall to bypass it is in the DMG so it's a valid method. I think mechanically bypassing bars is just as easy but you need to be sufficiently creative on the fluff. Paint severe rust on them to make them brittle then kick the bars. Like the door on the wall the rust is not only on the surface. Yes you could also paint a hacksaw on another surface, pick it up, then use it to cut the bars.

As for using the pigments to make money there is a 2,000 gp item limit on the 4,000 gp pigments so it doesn't work. I think interpreting the 2,000 gp cap as per item is a bit far fetched.

There is also a cubic foot limit on what you can paint but I think the gp limit tends to be the bottleneck more often so I wouldn't usually get stingy on paint volume.

Anywho the pigments are amazing, my favorite item. So many random things you can do with them on any character. Food, basic equipment for roleplay, wilderness survival needs, and changing scenery are my most common uses. It's Wile E Coyote paint.

Mr Adventurer
2015-08-14, 12:09 PM
In that style, could you paint a tunnel on the cliff side of a mountain, then walk through that?

P.F.
2015-08-14, 12:36 PM
In that style, could you paint a tunnel on the cliff side of a mountain, then walk through that?

You're probably going to run up against the volumetric limit. Unless it's a very narrow tunnel.

ericgrau
2015-08-14, 05:11 PM
Otherwise yes. With one pot of pigments you could get a 5x5x40=1000 cubic feet tunnel.

I think if I play epic again I'll get 50-100 pots instead of just 1.

nedz
2015-08-14, 05:42 PM
I think if I play epic again I'll get 50-100 pots instead of just 1.

Does it come in a spray can ?

ericgrau
2015-08-14, 06:01 PM
Does it come in a spray can ?

Nolzur Jr.'s Marvelous Aerosol

As Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments, except that they take a full round action and a DC 20 Craft (painting) check to apply instead of 10 minutes. This requires both hands.

Price: 25,000 gp.

nedz
2015-08-14, 06:05 PM

As Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments, except that they take a full round action and a DC 20 Craft (painting) check to apply instead of 10 minutes. This requires both hands.

Price: 25,000 gp.

Nah - it would just get used for tagging.

ericgrau
2015-08-14, 06:15 PM
Nah - it would just get used for tagging.
Or miniature cosmos:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/sIgFAXcdVAI/hqdefault.jpg

NevinPL
2015-08-15, 02:19 PM
No doubt first time created by teenage rebellion personified - a sorcerer ;)