PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next More Metamagic!

Michael7123
2015-08-11, 11:25 AM
The goal of this project is simple: Convert the 3.5 metamagic options into 5th edition metamagic abilities. Yes, I know that metamagic is only available to sorcerers in 5th edition. Still, I hope these will allow the sorcerer class to have some more interesting thematic elements than it currently does, in addition to making transitions from 3.5 to 5th edition just a little bit smoother.

Just to make something clear, this isn't a direct 1 metamagic feet = 1 metamagic ability conversion. I've combined some metamagic feats in order to make them better for fifth edition, and I might split up a metamagic ability in the future. Some have abilities I made up on my own.

With this in mind, here's the metamagic.

Antimagic Spell:
If you deal damage to a target who has magical effects on him from spells that do not require concentration. (such as the spell Death Ward), those spells are canceled. If you deal damage to a target who is receiving benefits from spells that do require concentration (such as stoneskin), you force the person concentration on the spell to make a concentration check at disadvantage, or the spell is canceled. If the person who is concentrating on the spell is also a target of your spell's damage, they make a concentration check as normal, except that they have disadvantage on the check. If the spellcaster concentrating on the spell is not taking damage, the DC for the concentration check is 10, and they make this saving throw at disadvantage. Using this option requires the use of two sorcery points.

Consecrate Spell
By spending three sorcerer points, you can infuse your spells with energy from the upper planes. Whenever you cast a spell modified by this metamagic feature, half of it's damage dice (rounded up) deal holy damage. Good creatures have resistance to unholy damage, while evil creatures have vulnerability to it. Furthermore, if you cast an unholy spell against a fiend, you increase all of your damage dice by one category, up to a maximum of a d12 (a d6 would become a d8, but a d12 would not become a d20). You cannot have an evil alignment when you select this class feature, although you do retain this option if your alignment changes to evil later on.

Corrupt Spell
By spending three sorcerer points, you can infuse your spells with energy from the lower planes. Whenever you cast a spell modified by this metamagic feature, half of it's damage dice (rounded up) deal unholy damage. Evil creatures have resistance to unholy damage, while good creatures have vulnerability to it. Furthermore, if you cast an unholy spell against a celestial, you increase all of your damage dice by one category, up to a maximum of a d12 (a d6 would become a d8, but a d12 would not become a d20). You cannot have a good alignment when you select this class feature, although you do retain this option if your alignment changes to good later on.

Deafening Spell:
When you select this option, you may force a target to make a constitution saving throw when they are the target of this spell, separate to any other saving throws the spell requires. The DC is equal to your spell save DC. If they fail this constitution save, they are deafened for one minute. They automatically fail any perception checks that are solely based on hearing and have disadvantage on perception checks that rely on both sight and sound. Perception checks that rely only on the target's vision are unaffected. Using this option costs 1 sorcery point.

Energy Substitution

When you take this option, choose an option: fire, cold, acid, or lightning. By spending 1 sorcery point, you can alter the damage type of a spell that deals one of these damage types to deal the type of damage you choose instead. For example, if you choose lightning damage when you selected this metamagic option, and you cast fireball, you could spend 1 sorcery point to have the spell deal lightning damage instead of fire damage. You can select this option more than once, choosing a different type of energy to substitute each time you select this option.

Lord of the Uttercold
Whenever you cast a spell that deals cold damage, you can modify that spell so half of it's damage is necrotic damage. Furthermore, you can modify any spell that normally deals necrotic damage and have half of it's damage be cold damage. In the event of an odd number of damage being delt, the larger half of the damage would be the damage type of the original spell. Using this on a spell costs 1 sorcery point.

Lord of the Brightfire
Whenever you cast a spell that deals fire damage, you can modify that spell so half of it's damage is radiant damage. Furthermore, you can modify any spell that normally deals radiant damage and have half of it's damage be fire damage. In the event of an odd number of damage being delt, the larger half of the damage would be the damage type of the original spell. Using this on a spell costs 1 sorcery point.

Michael7123
2015-08-11, 11:29 AM
Reserved for design notes.

Michael7123
2015-08-11, 11:30 AM
One more reserved for the sake of my paranoia.

Megasaber4000
2015-08-11, 11:48 AM
I think you have a good idea here but I feel some of these are more like real spells themselves, rather than metamagic abilities.
The one like corrupt however I think is a rather good one for metamagic; as for the energy substitution I think you should be more specific.

Michael7123
2015-08-11, 11:56 AM
I think you have a good idea here but I feel some of these are more like real spells themselves, rather than metamagic abilities.
The one like corrupt however I think is a rather good one for metamagic; as for the energy substitution I think you should be more specific.

How would you have me be more specific for energy substitution? I thought I made it pretty clear how it works. If you could help me word it better, I'd appreciate it.

Megasaber4000
2015-08-11, 12:38 PM
How would you have me be more specific for energy substitution? I thought I made it pretty clear how it works. If you could help me word it better, I'd appreciate it.

nope never mind I didn't read the example.

Ralanr
2015-08-11, 12:52 PM
I know a friend who'd love to turn all his spells into acid type spells. All the damaging ones anyway.

Michael7123
2015-08-11, 01:11 PM
I know a friend who'd love to turn all his spells into acid type spells. All the damaging ones anyway.

Well, if that ever happens, make sure he makes a post here about if doing that turned out to be balanced or not, I'd love to here it!

Michael7123
2015-08-14, 11:13 AM
Added two more metamagic options: Lord of the Uttercold, and it's inverse, Lord of the Brightfire.