PDA

View Full Version : Half-Fiend Template

MisterSaturnine
2007-05-06, 09:53 AM
Hi, I feel a little stupid for asking, but what exactly constitutes the half-fiend template? I searched the internet and can't find it, and buying whatever book it's in will be tough--I'm short on funds. Some details (like, say if it adds LA or the traits it gives) would be greatly appreciated.

Inyssius Tor
2007-05-06, 09:55 AM
Do you have the Monster Manual?

AmberVael
2007-05-06, 09:58 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfFiend.htm

d20 SRD is nice.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-05-06, 04:49 PM
I also recommend this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630x) over the standard half-fiend. It makes a more believable half-fiend, and I always use it when I'm making half-fiends (which I do often).

MisterSaturnine
2007-05-06, 07:03 PM
Sadly, I do not have the monster manual. Well, I do. But it's 2nd edition, and from way back when I was a kid and read them 'cause they were interesting to toy with, despite the fact I had no idea what the hell THAC0 was.

Thanks to all who replied for their help, especially the websites. They helped. A lot.

the_tick_rules
2007-05-07, 09:08 AM
what constitutes a half fiend template, shouldn't your parents have told you that story lol.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-05-10, 10:32 AM
You might want to check out Crystal Keep which keeps a lot of information on the game from various sources. Has templates from various sources.

Latronis
2007-05-10, 12:19 PM
I also recommend this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630x) over the standard half-fiend. It makes a more believable half-fiend, and I always use it when I'm making half-fiends (which I do often).

I 2nd that, especially for PCs where you likely have a specific heritage in mind, for a more generic encountered half-fiend the MM template is usually sufficient especially if its just a quick and dirty half-fiend.

Talya
2007-05-10, 12:43 PM
Neat. Is there a celestial version of that nonstandard half fiend link?

Latronis
2007-05-10, 12:46 PM
I don't remember seeing one but half-celestials and half-fiends are so similiar that you can just use the same principle of the half-fiend system there and apply it to celestials instead.

Talya
2007-05-10, 12:51 PM
I don't remember seeing one but half-celestials and half-fiends are so similiar that you can just use the same principle of the half-fiend system there and apply it to celestials instead.

Still, ever notice most half-fiends are children of a demon or devil, while many half-celestial types actually have deific blood? A solar would work just fine, as would an evil god for a half-fiend, but that's not always how it works.

Erevan Ilesere sows his wild oats among elves everywhere in the multiverse...they don't all have divine ranks. ;) But it's a bit harder to use this method with a god as the base creature.

In a PbP campaign I'm playing a Star Elf Bard / Half Celestial daughter of Erevan Ilesere. The DM took the template and replaced all the SLA's with equivalent level spells from the Elf, Trickery and Luck domains.

AtomicKitKat
2007-05-10, 01:18 PM
Serpent Kingdoms had the "Unique" Half-Fiend Lizard Queen. Basically Lizard King with Half-Fiend template, plus an extra pair of arms(Marilith mother). Draegloths are more or less Drow with most of the Half-Fiend goodies, but I guess they trade the wings for "small arms"(the human pair that's mostly useless for combat), and have the claws on the big arms. It just takes a little imagination, really. This is the kind of stuff that should have been in Fiendish Codex I and II, but as far as I can tell, wasn't.:smallannoyed:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-10, 01:47 PM
Neat. Is there a celestial version of that nonstandard half fiend link?

Since Celestials tend more towards humanoid forms there isn't really any reason. Give a human wings and there's little more to make him more like his celestial parent than change his skin colour.

I guess you might want to look at Antropomorphic animals if you want a half-guardinal.

Changing the spell-like ability list might work as well. For example swapping out a few spells for fire iones for a Half-Firre Eladrin.