2007-05-06, 09:56 AM
The Scabbard Sword
Price (Item Level): 1,000 gp (5th)
Body Slot: - (Held)
Caster Level: 8th
Aura: Faint (DC 12), Transmutation
Activation: Swift (Command)
Weight: 5 lbs.
This looks like a longsword with a blade shape similar to the katanas of the east, although slightly thicker and longer than regular longswords. The distinguishing feature is the hilt, which is half again as long as regular hilts, and looks like two hilts fused together.

This weapon functions as a masterwork longsword. When wielded in two hands, the larger hilt lets the wielder get a better handle on it, granting them a +2 competence bonus to resist being disarmed.

At the beginning of the wielder's turn, as a swift action, he can activate its special ability. By grapping each part of the hilt and giving the command, the top part of the hilt separates, and a second sword can be unsheathed from beneath the top hilt. He may also sheathe the two swords together as a swift action at the beginning of his turn. Both of these are equivalent to drawing a weapon with the Quick Draw feat.

The weapon attached to the bottom hilt is also a masterwork longsword. The weapon on the top hilt is still the shape of a longsword and still deals 1d8 damage, but is also hollow. Since it is so light, it also counts as a short sword (as well as a longsword) for feats such as Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization etc., but such feats for both types of weapons don't stack. The hollow blade is also treated as a light weapon for purposes such as Weapon Finesse and Two-Weapon Fighting. However, its hollowness means it also has the hit points of a short sword as opposed to a longsword.

As the Scabbard Sword is a masterworked weapon, it can be enchanted. If you enchant it in its unified form, you only gain that enchantment on the hollow blade when separated. The full longsword has to be enchanted separately.

Partially inspired by the Sun Blade's ability to be both a short sword and a bastard sword, I thought this might be amusing for people who like to charge in and power attack, then quick draw their second weapon and full attack next round. What do you think?

DracoDei
2007-05-06, 02:33 PM
As a mechanical engineer I object to this on pric...
I would say giving it Short sword hp is only a small step in the right direction. Thus I suggest going a slightly different route. Keep the same price (or maybe slightly more) and make it a magic item. The second blade is in an inter-dimensional space. Decide if it is the ONLY thing capable of entering that space. Clarify that it follows the rules for double weapons when it comes to further enchanting each blade.