PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Multiclass options for a Swashbuckler

Unbodied
2015-08-12, 05:13 AM
Asking for a friend in this case. He's not very exited about the Swashbuckler capstone so he's thinking of multiclassing a bit. He's considering taking levels in Skald which he thinks is cool. Is that a good option? Are there better/cooler options?

I'm thinking of suggesting Telekinetic Weaponmaster to him. It seems both fun and practical for a Swashbuckler, at least as long as the GM allows Unlocked Talent to not require Wild Talent. But the entry requirments seem a bit steep.

Adaptive Warrior might be easier to get...

Non-psionic classes are probably better but I only have Ultimate Psionics easily available so that's where I looked.

Kurald Galain
2015-08-12, 06:58 AM
A dip into Magus would give him some self-buffing ability, and a second level gives him an extra strike on every full attack.

NomGarret
2015-08-12, 07:30 AM
A level of Warlord pairs well. Focus on Scarlet Throne.

Psyren
2015-08-12, 08:20 AM
Dipping Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?230500-Pathfinder-Dipping-for-Fun-and-Profit-(mostly-Profit))

Unbodied
2015-08-12, 08:34 AM
Dipping Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?230500-Pathfinder-Dipping-for-Fun-and-Profit-(mostly-Profit))

That guide isn't very good. It just lists stuff with little to no context. :(

Psyren
2015-08-12, 08:37 AM

It's assuming you know why Fast Movement is a good thing or why Trapfinding is a good thing :smalltongue:

More importantly, whether they are good things depends on the class you're using to dip - so it can be time-consuming to list benefits by class.

Personally I found it helpful.

Kurald Galain
2015-08-12, 08:52 AM

I've found it very useful in the past. The point is that it doesn't give you reasons to dip into some class, but if you're looking for a particular feature or ability, it shows you how to get it.

That said, it does appear to be slightly outdated :smallfrown:

Psyren
2015-08-12, 09:03 AM
I've found it very useful in the past. The point is that it doesn't give you reasons to dip into some class, but if you're looking for a particular feature or ability, it shows you how to get it.

The archetype combos (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?229326-PF-Archetype-Combos-Doing-all-the-work-b-c-reading-charts-is-bloody-annoying&p=12555815#post12555815) handbook is also in dire need of an update. For instance, it took me some digging on my own but I found a cool combo between Duettist and Sound Striker bard to have you and your familiar take turns pulverizing a target in the same round.

grarrrg
2015-08-12, 09:30 PM

We call that a "feature", not a "bug".
But Psyren summed it up fairly well. There are just too many builds looking for too many different things to give a complete breakdown on why you might need any random ability. So I mainly looked at the first 3 levels of classes to find 'unique' benefits that might be worth it outside of that one class.

Yeah yeah, nag nag, I'll get back to it sooner or later...probably...
It's mostly missing ACG Classes/archetypes.
And the Technomancer PrC.
I'll get the ACG stuff in there eventually (there is 1 in there already!). No promises on the Technomancer...

Mithril Leaf
2015-08-12, 09:57 PM
It's assuming you know why Fast Movement is a good thing or why Trapfinding is a good thing :smalltongue:

More importantly, whether they are good things depends on the class you're using to dip - so it can be time-consuming to list benefits by class.

Personally I found it helpful.

It's incredibly useful if you know what you're looking for, for example:
I'm making a Vital Strike, Path of War, AoO, Polearm, Aegis build. I want a bonus feat in a single level but have already chosen 2 levels of Fighter. I look at the guide and suddenly find out that 3 levels of Phalanx Soldier Fighter gives me the ability I was going to spend a feat on at third level! How incredibly handy.

Psyren
2015-08-12, 11:02 PM
Yeah yeah, nag nag, I'll get back to it sooner or later...probably...
It's mostly missing ACG Classes/archetypes.
And the Technomancer PrC.
I'll get the ACG stuff in there eventually (there is 1 in there already!). No promises on the Technomancer...

And Occult Adventures. And Unchained. :smallbiggrin:

(Unchained Rogue definitely needs to be there.)

Hrugner
2015-08-12, 11:23 PM
It's incredibly useful if you know what you're looking for, for example:
I'm making a Vital Strike, Path of War, AoO, Polearm, Aegis build. I want a bonus feat in a single level but have already chosen 2 levels of Fighter. I look at the guide and suddenly find out that 3 levels of Phalanx Soldier Fighter gives me the ability I was going to spend a feat on at third level! How incredibly handy.

I agree, it's pretty handy but requires knowledge of the game and some direction for your build. I think we all sort of have a mental guide for bridging abilities or mechanics that let us pull some things together, but I can't think of a way to write such a thing out in a usable manner.

1. Abilities that work with one handed martial combat (probably what your friend wants here)
2. Abilities that benefit from positioning
3. Abilities that require a large amount of allies to leverage
4. Abilities that benefit those who can be their own ally
5. Abilities that create or use attacks of opportunity
6. Abilities that create or benefit natural attacks
7. Abilities that let you leverage social skills in combat

and so on and so forth. I wouldn't know how to frame the guide at all.