PDA

View Full Version : How does one acquire roleplayers?

Aragehaor
2015-08-12, 05:22 AM
Typically, for me. The process is a fairly simple - if time consuming one.

I befriend a random person for reasons unrelated to roleplaying, discover that they enjoy roleplaying, and thus it begins.

The problem i currently have with that is simply that it takes a rather long time, and certain RL constraints have me feeling rather impatient.

I suppose i should go into some more detail, however as to what precisely i mean by my request.

I'm a Freeform roleplayer by nature* and as a direct result I'm specifically interested in how one might go about finding and kidnapping freeform roleplayers - though advice as to other types of roleplayers is not necessarily** unwanted, either.(though, while i am fully capable of GMing in Freeform, i don't possess sufficient system mastery to do the same in a structured game. if that's relevant.)

I should also clarify that i am not looking for PBP games or things of that ilk. - I personally have never found them to be enjoyable, a bit too slow for my tastes.

What i do want is a more direct experience, Steam and Skype being common and simple examples. (The chat function of steam, if i screwed up the wording and made it non-obvious.)

I suppose what I'm really asking is "Where can i find freeform roleplayers?" but any and all suggestions are welcome, if things more efficient then simply opening a thread*** on a freeform populated board(though i know of none that are actually alive.) looking for players exist then by all means. I'd desperately like to know.

tl;dr
Where can i find freeform roleplayers/how can i best steal them?

*Though don't take that to mean i don't enjoy more structured games like D&D and Pathfinder as i do, Freeform is just my personal favorite.

**It is just not preferable.

***I also find doing so a little awkward, almost akin to going "ANYONE WANT TO BE FRIENDS", but i suppose i'm desperate enough now. :smalltongue:

P.S. If i posted this to the wrong board like an idiot, do tell me.

noob
2015-08-12, 05:48 AM
joke/
"though i know of none that are actually alive"
On this forum all people are undead or constructs of your imagination or informatics bots.
Well the thing is that finding people is really hard.
1: That person needs to have time.
2: For each person in the group the probability to have an intersection between all playing times is reduced.
3: That person have to prefer role-playing compared to the infinite number of other interesting activities like seeing movies, hitting puppies with a 5 kilograms hammer, writing a book, catching students and teaching them things and yet an infinite number of other things.
The conclusion is that only insane crazy hobos can play role-playing games./joke

Aragehaor
2015-08-12, 06:31 PM
joke/
"though i know of none that are actually alive"
On this forum all people are undead or constructs of your imagination or informatics bots. Well, i was mostly referring to freeform roleplay specifically, while i was certainly hoping there was a freeform presence on this board,(As otherwise no one would be able to answer my question.) by far the vast *vast* majority of threads are about more structured games, so i excluded it on that basis, but i suppose I'm really just ruining the joke at this point. :smalltongue:

Well the thing is that finding people is really hard.
1: That person needs to have time.
2: For each person in the group the probability to have an intersection between all playing times is reduced.
3: That person have to prefer role-playing compared to the infinite number of other interesting activities like seeing movies, hitting puppies with a 5 kilograms hammer, writing a book, catching students and teaching them things and yet an infinite number of other things.
The conclusion is that only insane crazy hobos can play role-playing games./jokeWhile you are of course, still joking, i do believe this is actually largely true, hence the reason i posted this thread - to see if perhaps there was some magical spell or pact with a demon i could make to cheat. :smalltongue:

Though more seriously, as i elaborated in my first post I'm technically just looking for a dedicated freeform board for which to try and *cast the net* so to speak.

I am aware that this board *does* possess quite a great deal of roleplayers, and it'd certainly be where i'd go if i was trying to put together a structured game - i just haven't noticed a practically large freeform presence to make use of it for my current purpose, though feel free to correct me if I'm grossly mistaken about that.

Red Fel
2015-08-12, 06:59 PM
Do you have a local gaming store, gaming community, gaming BBS, or gaming social media group (e.g. through FaceBook or Meetup)?

This, in my mind, is the simplest way. Go to the aforementioned local . . . group, and simply ask there.

Assuming you haven't alienated your local gaming community, and are not immediately physically or personally repellant, you'll probably at least be able to engage some people in conversation, strike up a few friendships, and so forth. Even if they're not interested in a freeform game, they might know someone who is, or someplace better to look.

Or are you just looking for something online? Because there are online communities for that, too.

TheThan
2015-08-12, 08:02 PM
I stalk my prey for three days deep in the wilderness, staying down wind and just out of sight. Then I wait for the wind to be just right, carefully I hold by breath, sights on the target and I squeeze the trigger. I barely feel the kick of the air rifle as the tranquilizer dart flies and hits my target. The prey usually flees in panic at that point. but I’m patient, I track it down when I find it unconscious from the tranquilizer, I then call in my guides and they drive in with a truck, I tie the now sleeping player up (so it doesn't hurt itself obviously) and throw it in the back of the truck, but not before snapping a photo for prosperity.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-08-12, 08:04 PM
Kidnapping is always an option, though you'll need to soundproof the basement prior.

Surprised Red Fel didn't mention this...

Other than that, I typically bring it up with RL friends once I've figured out their recreational preferences (actors, writers, sometimes wargamers, vidya-gamers, etc).

Red Fel
2015-08-12, 08:08 PM
Kidnapping is always an option, though you'll need to soundproof the basement prior.

Surprised Red Fel didn't mention this...

Oh, come now, I'd hope you'd think better of me than that.

I never say anything that could be construed as a confession.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-08-12, 08:09 PM
Oh, come now, I'd hope you'd think better of me than that.

I never say anything that could be construed as a confession.

Sorry for doubting you, my dark master.

Red Fel
2015-08-12, 08:17 PM
Sorry for doubting you, my dark master.

And that, Aragehaor, is how you acquire roleplayers.

That, and having a name that's easy to pronounce. Trust me.

Look at mine, for example. "Red Fel." Try it. Just rolls off of the tongue.

"Red Fel."

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrdwf1WSIJ1qbdmjeo4_400.gif

neonagash
2015-08-12, 08:27 PM
Not a free form guy but most cities have local community theater troupes you might try.

Also IME white wolf has the biggest base of LARPERS. You might have luck on their forum.

Jay R
2015-08-12, 08:38 PM
Every single person in my last four gaming groups I met through being active in the SCA.

Aragehaor
2015-08-12, 09:07 PM
Do you have a local gaming store, gaming community, gaming BBS, or gaming social media group (e.g. through FaceBook or Meetup)?

This, in my mind, is the simplest way. Go to the aforementioned local . . . group, and simply ask there.

Assuming you haven't alienated your local gaming community, and are not immediately physically or personally repellant, you'll probably at least be able to engage some people in conversation, strike up a few friendships, and so forth. Even if they're not interested in a freeform game, they might know someone who is, or someplace better to look.

Or are you just looking for something online? Because there are online communities for that, too.Unfortunately, i presently live in a rather small town and we lack a local gaming store. (Some stores do sell the occasional game like Settlers of Catan, but i fear stalking the small gaming section of an otherwise normal store may lead to slightly different results then i'd prefer. :smalltongue:)

I don't believe there is much of a local gaming community in my area - or if they is they are fairly well hidden, perhaps operating out of a secret compound in the nearby hills.

As a result of that, yeah something online would probably be ideal, though at the same time preferably not PBP (As i've said before, something more direct like over a chat service* would be far preferable.) I suppose i should of made this a little more clear in my opening post.

I stalk my prey for three days deep in the wilderness, staying down wind and just out of sight. Then I wait for the wind to be just right, carefully I hold by breath, sights on the target and I squeeze the trigger. I barely feel the kick of the air rifle as the tranquilizer dart flies and hits my target. The prey usually flees in panic at that point. but I’m patient, I track it down when I find it unconscious from the tranquilizer, I then call in my guides and they drive in with a truck, I tie the now sleeping player up (so it doesn't hurt itself obviously) and throw it in the back of the truck, but not before snapping a photo for prosperity.Hmm, i do have plenty of nearby wilderness - ah, but i have as much proficiency with weaponry as a small crab who you suspect isnt really putting his A game forward so to teach him a lesson you cook and then eat his delicious crab body.

I think this got away from me at some point, BUT NO MATTER.

And that, Aragehaor, is how you acquire roleplayers.
Ah! i see, the Sith Lord Recruiting method! You subtly manipulate the target, slowly bending them to your will until one day you can do away with all pretense and officially take them as your apprentice!

Hmm, for some reason that doesn't sound quite right.

That, and having a name that's easy to pronounce. Trust me.

Look at mine, for example. "Red Fel." Try it. Just rolls off of the tongue.

"Red Fel."

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrdwf1WSIJ1qbdmjeo4_400.gifYour name is inspired genius, its true - but my name has the benefit of being terrible.

So there!

(Truth be told, this is the only site i use such an... interesting name on, couldn't tell you why I've kept it this long.)

Not a free form guy but most cities have local community theater troupes you might try.

Also IME white wolf has the biggest base of LARPERS. You might have luck on their forum.
Interesting, i hadn't considered community theater troupes. I wonder if we have one - I'll have to look.

I'll also consider looking into that forum as well, Thank you.

*To be absolutely clear. i just want the actual roleplaying to be done over such a service, it doesn't have to be some weird omegle roleplaying mixed breed of a website or anything. :smalltongue:

goto124
2015-08-12, 09:47 PM
Urm... these boards have a highly active freeform RP section (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?32-Free-Form-Roleplaying).

Aragehaor
2015-08-12, 10:27 PM
Urm... these boards have a highly active freeform RP section (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?32-Free-Form-Roleplaying).

Huhn, i can safely say i never noticed that before - presumably because i'm quite clearly blind.

Still, that section appears - from a cursory glance - to be for pretty much nothing *but* PBP games, freeform though they may be.

Although that still proves my initial impression of there not being a very notable freeform presence on these forums to be completely false.

I'll have to consider this, Thanks for bringing the obvious to my attention. (Blind as a bat. i swear.)

goto124
2015-08-12, 10:43 PM
Yup, it's freeform and entirely PbP! These are forums, after all. Even the recruitment section is mostly for PbP.

Hope to RP with you soon! Yes, I'm a regular there.

There's also an IRC chat, #gitpnexus, made up of FFRP regulars. Pop in for a look, though we tend to ge off-topic at times. Especially video games. Especially especially LoL.

Fri
2015-08-12, 11:52 PM
Obviously we have to spread and promote roleplayer's handshake. (http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue9/secrethandshakes1.html)

I know you say you're not looking for PbP, but are you familiar with dreamwidth/livejournal rp? Generally they're faster than forum pbp.

And if you're looking for something a bit more...

I've been active in SRWU, (http://srwu.dreamwidth.org/) a mecha-focused livejournal rp. It's the third iteration of this game (the games had started from 2009 at least, all ending proper), and what's different than normal livejournal rp is that this game has scheduled chat rp. Basically characters hang around in pbp, but there are scheduled "missions" where people gather in chat and do missions together, still completely freeform. That's the "thing" of this game. If you're into mecha at all, you might want to take a look.

Templarkommando
2015-08-13, 12:38 AM
Have you tried the old Pizza under a box held up by a stick attached to a string method?

celtois
2015-08-13, 02:12 AM
You might have some luck using roll20 sure it's mostly intendend for structured gaming. But it is mostly an organizational tool, and is system independent. I've never played a game on there. But while browsing I have seen more than a few free form games advertised and they appeared to attract players just fine.

DireSickFish
2015-08-13, 09:03 AM
The guy suggesting theater groups sounds like he has the right idea, especially if you don't know of a local gaming store. An Improv group might be up your ally. Sure it's more acting and less gaming but it is free form. They may even find the free form roleplay to help them witht here improv or vice versa.

Aragehaor
2015-08-13, 07:50 PM
Obviously we have to spread and promote roleplayer's handshake. (http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue9/secrethandshakes1.html)

I know you say you're not looking for PbP, but are you familiar with dreamwidth/livejournal rp? Generally they're faster than forum pbp.

And if you're looking for something a bit more...

I've been active in SRWU, (http://srwu.dreamwidth.org/) a mecha-focused livejournal rp. It's the third iteration of this game (the games had started from 2009 at least, all ending proper), and what's different than normal livejournal rp is that this game has scheduled chat rp. Basically characters hang around in pbp, but there are scheduled "missions" where people gather in chat and do missions together, still completely freeform. That's the "thing" of this game. If you're into mecha at all, you might want to take a look.Hmm, i don't have any experience with livejournal RP (having not been aware it was a thing until just now.) but it does sound fairly interesting.(At least this specific one.)

Not exactly what I'm used to or what i was looking for, but that isn't really a bad thing, My thanks - I'll definitely look into this. (I may have some questions, but I'll wait until I've actually done more then an extremely quick cursory glance to start.)

You might have some luck using roll20 sure it's mostly intendend for structured gaming. But it is mostly an organizational tool, and is system independent. I've never played a game on there. But while browsing I have seen more than a few free form games advertised and they appeared to attract players just fine.Hum, interesting - that could have some real potential as well - i'll have to look into it. My thanks.