PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for gear at ECL3 for a character with no hands?

Grim Portent
2015-08-12, 06:01 AM
I'm going to be playing a NE Griffon Ranger in a game soon and I was wondering what items/grafts/rituals etc were good for characters without hands at ECL3 wealth?

We're using a modified version of LA and savage progressions, so I'm only medium at start and can't fly, in case that's important.

Thanks in advance. :smallsmile:

Troacctid
2015-08-12, 06:16 AM
Hand of the Mage. It casts Mage Hand at will. 900 gp. If you're willing to splurge, you can upgrade to a Collar of Perpetual Attendance, which casts Unseen Servant at will instead, for 2000 gp.

Darrin
2015-08-12, 06:28 AM
Seconding Collar of Perpetual Attendance (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c).

marphod
2015-08-12, 11:01 PM
Grafts to get you arms are going to be useful. On the other hand ( *rimshot* Thank you. I'll be here all week), they are out of your price range.

---

A Griffon? Really? (+8 Str, +4 Dex, +6 Con, -6 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Cha? Well, I guess.)

Try to not get captured and sold into slavery.

(Think it'll work?)

---

You're going to have 2,700gp (assuming normal WBL).

You're going to want Armor (Barding). Medium barding costs 2x as much as for humans, so a light chain (Chain "Shirt") will run you 200; plus another 150 for masterwork. You're going to want to save up for a Mithral 'Breastplate', which will cost you 4400 (or maybe 8400, is the 4000+ cost for mithral also doubled?) at your size, but if you go large, is going to cost even more.

The Hand of the Mage item is more affordable than the Collar of Perpetual Attendance. Save and trade up for that.

If any of the PCs are humanoid, get a saddle made. Riding is cheaper and lighter (30gp/30lbs), but the Military is more useful (60gp, 40lbs). Either of which can be made into a masterwork tool for riding checks for another 50gp.

I assume you're going Multiweapon/Two Weapon ranger, as no obvious archery options. Maybe a blowgun?

I'm a bit at a loss. Most of the obvious suggestions aren't going to work out very well for a griffon. Some means of speaking would be a good idea -- a Pearl of Speech will do that (MIC 118, 600gp). Several for different languages would be better.

Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker gets you a move-as-a-swift action, once a day (without provoking AoO) for 500gp.

So that's 350 gp for Barding (or 200gp, if you plan on trying to upgrade directly to a Mithral Breastplate and not bother enchanting the 'shirt'.), 900gp for the Hand of the Mage, 100-ish gp for the Saddle, 600gp for a pearl of speech. That's just under 2000gp. Leaving you 750gp for non-magical equipment, and other knick-knacks. Boots of Landing or Boots of Agile Leaping (MIC 76/77) for 500 and 600gp respectively are options. The aformentioned Chronocharm. Healing Belt for 750gp is never a bad investment (MIC 110).

The various Feather Tokens can turn out to be very handy. It is surprising how many problems can be fixed with a spontaneous 60' tree, a decent sized boat, or an unexpected anchor. (Alas, I think I'm might end up getting the Tree and/or Anchor token banned from my Thursday games. But they are so USEFUL. Treants bothering you? Step 1, Create a large oak tree, make a high bluff check, and make them think you summoned an elder to childe them. Step 2, RUN AWAY. Step 3, Profit. Need to lay seige to a tower? I know where I can get some really straight boards to make ladders. Need to block a door or make a sun-roof? How about making the local goblinoids question how well they really know the forest by randomly adding a few hundred-year-plus growth trees. The anchor is just funny to drop at opportune times. Wagon running away? Got a prisoner you don't want going anywhere? Need to hammer in a VERY LARGE nail?)