PDA

View Full Version : [Power] Insomnia doesn't cover it...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-06, 10:48 AM
Alright, this is like the third time I've had a go at this power over the years but I think I'm finally happy with it...

-=-=-=-=-

Dreamless
Telepathy (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Dreamer 5
Display: Mental
Manifesting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 feet + 5 ft./level)
Target: One living, thinking creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 9

The subject's mental functions are altered so that the target cannot achieve a dream state. This disturbs the target's sleep cycle in a way that prevents her from regaining power points or spells, if those stem from a class that requires a period of sleep to do so.

Over the next several days after being affected by this power, the subject suffers more and more severe reprocussions from the lack of mentally relaxing sleep. Subjects that don't dream are unaffected by this power. Those who meditate instead of dreaming are still affected as they are blocked from the neccessary subconscious interaction to refresh themselves.

If the subject fails her saving throw she takes a cumulative 1 point of Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma damage per day that does not heal naturally, and she becomes Fatigued for the duration. If any two of these ability scores are lowered to 3 or lower the target becomes Insane. If any mental ability score is damaged to 0 points, the target suffers a horrible mental breakdown and dies.

This affect can be removed by psychic chicurgery, reality revision, and similiar effects. Restoration, Heal, Greater Restoration, Limited Wish and Wish also removes the affliction. A Restful Slumber spell has a chance to counteract and dispel dreamless, though the caster must first succeed on an opposed level check (the level for this ability equals the manifester's level, +1 per day the affect has progressed).

While under the affects of Dreamless the subject is immune to all spells and powers dealing with the subconscious, such as Nightmare, though is still affected by sleep effects.

A second usage of Dreamless restores the brain to proper balance, allowing the damage to heal naturally.

Augment: This power may be augmented in two ways.

1. For every two additional power points spent this power's DC increases by 1.
2. For every four additional power points spent this power can affect another target in range.

Morty
2007-05-06, 11:05 AM
Well, it seems like perfect caster-killing power. Good job.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-05-06, 11:34 AM
Very good power Vorpal, great job.

Catch
2007-05-06, 12:50 PM
1. For every two additional power points spent this power's DC increases by

I'm assuming you meant 1, but I thought I'd point this out.

Arbitrarity
2007-05-06, 01:24 PM
9'th level, for a save or die if not healed?

Actually, not too bad, but hard to heal.

At higher levels, everyone walks around with mind blank though :(.

The_Snark
2007-05-06, 05:54 PM
Nice. It's about on a power level with Feeblemind, but delayed; to compensate, it'll eventually kill you.

Dreamer's not a class I'm familiar with; is it one you've made?

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-06, 06:00 PM
Chances are is that it's a Discipline rather than a class.

Rowanomicon
2007-05-06, 11:06 PM
I would definitely agree the lack of REM sleep causes Int, Wis, and Cha.
However I think "that does not heal naturally" should say "that does not heal naturally until the subject regains the ability to dream."

Of course there is a certain amount of permanence. Perhaps 10(or 25)% (round down) of ability damage is permanent?

I think it would be interesting to add more detailed affects that take place after X amount of days. Ranging for fatigue to hallucinations and insanity.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-06, 11:11 PM
Chances are is that it's a Discipline rather than a class.
Yeah, part of another project I'm working on.

However I think "that does not heal naturally" should say "that does not heal naturally until the subject regains the ability to dream."
If they regain the ability to dream then the power his been negated and it does mention that they can then start healing.

I think it would be interesting to add more detailed affects that take place after X amount of days. Ranging for fatigue to hallucinations and insanity.
Had all that in my earlier versions but it was way, waaaay too complicated and ponderous. Streamlining it was one of the main changes.

Rowanomicon
2007-05-06, 11:44 PM
Had all that in my earlier versions but it was way, waaaay too complicated and ponderous. Streamlining it was one of the main changes.

Yeah, I suppose there's a point where you have to err on the side of ease of use rather than realism.

This would be interesting to use in a campaign that uses the sanity variant rules.

Maldraugedhen
2007-05-07, 12:20 AM
I think, if the subject of the spell realizes that someone is going to attempt to cast Restful Slumber on them, they should be able to add their Will save to the opposed caster check to represent them trying to force it off at the same time.

Also, if you don't mind, I'd like to take a look at that Dreamer class if you haven't posted it yet--working on a rather large project involving the mind and dreams. The thing's half done and a quarter up on this board, and I just want to see if you're attacking it the same way I am and if I can make the two fit.

knightsaline
2007-05-07, 02:03 AM
Well, it seems like perfect caster-killing power. Good job.

It kills arcane casters. if I remember correctly, divine casters don't need to sleep to regain spells, just rest for 8 hours. I think the fluff states that Arcane Casters need the rest so that their minds can retain the spells, while Divines just have their mind expanded by the gods/demons/nature/cause/middle finger on my left hand so that they can retain the spells.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-12, 11:29 AM
I think, if the subject of the spell realizes that someone is going to attempt to cast Restful Slumber on them, they should be able to add their Will save to the opposed caster check to represent them trying to force it off at the same time.
Well, possibly, though the spell is already getting pretty long.

Also, if you don't mind, I'd like to take a look at that Dreamer class if you haven't posted it yet--working on a rather large project involving the mind and dreams. The thing's half done and a quarter up on this board, and I just want to see if you're attacking it the same way I am and if I can make the two fit.
Actually, 'Dreamer' is just a Psion discipline. I've been working on the mind and dreams since I started playing D&D though and can post you all my dream-related stuff if you like.

It kills arcane casters. if I remember correctly, divine casters don't need to sleep to regain spells, just rest for 8 hours. I think the fluff states that Arcane Casters need the rest so that their minds can retain the spells, while Divines just have their mind expanded by the gods/demons/nature/cause/middle finger on my left hand so that they can retain the spells.
Aye, arcane casters and psionicists. However, the divine folks and the like will still eventually die... they can just cast while doing so.

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-12, 12:56 PM
One question: How does this power function on Elves, which lack the need to sleep anyway?

Also, it severely bones non-elven wizards, but sorcerers and bards only need eight hours of rest before they can prepare spells.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-12, 01:06 PM
You might want to look into my Mental Fatigue and Mental Exhaustion conditions, they seem like they'd be a good fit for this. You can find the rules for them here (http://tinyurl.com/278g83).