PDA

View Full Version : Perks and Ranger-ation

woodlandkammao
2015-08-12, 12:30 PM
So, I'm playing a ranged ranger (heh) Beastmaster in an upcoming Hoard of the Dragon Queen Campaign. I really torn on two choices, and I'd like the Playground's opinion. (keep in mind I'm not necessarily playing for combat super-munchkinry, if I was I wouldn't be a BM). I'm aiming for a interesting RP'ing scouty build, so stealthy, great perception, able to go solo.

First, what companion should I take? I've narrowed it down to Blood Hawk for flying attacks, Owl for Flyby help actions or Wolf to defend me while I snipe. All have good stealth and advantage on a sense check of some kind so they're good scouts, and they'll have the same HP because Ranger.

Second, what feat's? I'll probably take two. I'm thinking somethings from the list of: Sharpshooter for archery, Alert for scoutyness , Lucky for general utility, maybe Observant for RP and scouting.

Sorry if I'm brain-dumping, I'd love some input. Thanks!

ZenBear
2015-08-12, 01:12 PM
What's your race and stats? That will make giving advice a lot easier.

If you're a halfling, get a mount as your companion, like a war dog or hunting cat if your DM will let you put a saddle on one.

woodlandkammao
2015-08-12, 01:25 PM
Variant Human

Dex 16
Wis 16
Int 13
Con 10
Str 10
Chr 8

I took a relatively high Int for Nature and other Knowledge checks.

SharkForce
2015-08-12, 01:31 PM
I would recommend you also take a look at the flying snake. or giant poisonous snake. either of them will also be useful for harvesting venom to apply to your arrows (level 3 rogue-thief dip recommended for best results), and can also fill in for one of your other roles you recommended.

sharpshooter is a great feat, I definitely recommend it.