PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Swordsage build

ZhanStrider
2015-08-12, 09:24 PM
Okay guys, I'm currently a Swordsage 2/Sorcerer 3.

I'm planning to take Jade Pheonix mage AND Sand Shaper at later levels, what the best combination for all 4 classes for level 15 total character level?

Sorc 4/SS 2/Jpm 1/SandShaper 10? or Sorc 4/SS 2/Sand Shaper 1/JPM 10?

A_S
2015-08-12, 10:22 PM
The second build sounds much better to me. Sand Shaper is very front-loaded (a lot of what it's good for is just the extra spells known from its first level). JPM, on the other hand, isn't front-loaded at all (its first level sucks), and requires you to take quite a few levels in it to get the most benefit out of it.

Sounds like a pretty fun build (though, as a sucker for both gishes and ToB, I'm probably somewhat biased).

ZhanStrider
2015-08-13, 10:30 AM
The second build sounds much better to me. Sand Shaper is very front-loaded (a lot of what it's good for is just the extra spells known from its first level). JPM, on the other hand, isn't front-loaded at all (its first level sucks), and requires you to take quite a few levels in it to get the most benefit out of it.

Sounds like a pretty fun build (though, as a sucker for both gishes and ToB, I'm probably somewhat biased).

I'm torn between wanting more ToB flavor from JPM (more maneuvers) and wanting to be basically immortal.

Both fit my character pretty well (he's a nobleman from a desert country).

I definitely want ONE of their capstone abilities (Emerald Immolation or Desert shroud.)

ZhanStrider
2015-08-19, 03:54 PM
Is it worth doing a 5/4 split of JPM and Sand Shaper and not getting the capstone ability for fewer lost caster levels?

Rebel7284
2015-08-19, 10:54 PM
Both of those builds are level 17 and yet you're asking about level 15. I am assuming you're ok with a full 20 build, but campaign is starting at 15?

Masakan
2015-08-19, 11:02 PM
Honestly I wouldn't go for swordsage unless you plan to be an assassin or a martial artist.
If you plan to go head long i would recommend warblade.

A_S
2015-08-19, 11:02 PM
Looking through Sand Shaper's class features, I just don't see anything past level 1 that I'd think is worth losing out on JPM class features and maneuver progression. I really think Sorc 4/ToB class 2/JPM 2/Sand Shaper 1/JPM +X is the build.

What are you seeing later in Sand Shaper that looks good to you?

Nifft
2015-08-20, 06:31 AM
Sorc 4/SS 2/Sand Shaper 1/JPM 10

Of the two choices given, this would be my pick.

You might want to dip Mindbender 1 instead of Sorc 4, but if you're already level 5 and your points are already spent, that might not be possible

ZhanStrider
2015-09-16, 05:49 PM
Looking through Sand Shaper's class features, I just don't see anything past level 1 that I'd think is worth losing out on JPM class features and maneuver progression. I really think Sorc 4/ToB class 2/JPM 2/Sand Shaper 1/JPM +X is the build.

What are you seeing later in Sand Shaper that looks good to you?

Losing 1 less caster level. JPM loses two levels at 1st and 6th, so 5 is a great place to stop. Sand Shaper loses one at 1st and 8th, so if i do half and half i retain an extra level of casting.