PDA

View Full Version : Optimization PLANE Killer Challenge

Frostthehero
2015-08-12, 10:25 PM
Similar to the Planet Killer Challenge I recently posted, the objective of this challenge is to obliterate an entire plane at as low level as possible, as quickly as possible. Specifically, I seek the destruction of the material plane, and all coterminous planes. This includes tearing apart the entire solar system, and pretty much anything else you can think of.

You are limited to core books, the complete series, the psionics handbook, and the PHB2.

Actually, also do this with the astral plane, and then tell me what happens when you put a portable hole in a bag of holding. Or maybe it's the other way around. I can never tell.

Have fun with it, and I have one more challenge in store.

Sagetim
2015-08-12, 10:29 PM
While it requires a level 17 manifester to get rolling, wandering around the prime material plane manifesting genesis is going to be a very straightforward means of killing the plane. It wipes out life in a given area and makes it basically uninhabitable.

Sure, you could probably do it better and cheesier with a caster using the Genesis spell, but a) I don't know if that's within the books specified, and b) even if it is, I don't recall if it has the 'turn reality to dusty crap' option that the psionic one does.

I'm not sure how to kill the rest of the planes, but that would be a place to start with.

Jormengand
2015-08-13, 04:13 AM
The same way we destroyed the planet. With infinite wishes, and then using them to screw with everything.

Evolved Shrimp
2015-08-13, 05:21 AM
While it requires a level 17 manifester to get rolling, wandering around the prime material plane manifesting genesis is going to be a very straightforward means of killing the plane.

The description of Genesis says that it can only be cast on the Ethereal - am I missing something?

[Edit:]Never mind, found it. However, note that the destroyed area can be recolonized. Given the speed with which life takes over available space, it isn’t clear to me that you can use this technique even to just make the surface of Earth (or a similarly-sized planet) inhabitable. Have you done the math on that?

Also, don't underestimate the scale of the endeavor. Back-of-envelope calculation: Earth has a mass of about 6e24 kilograms. That means that if one managed to eliminate 1000 metric tons per second, one would need billions of years to get the job done.

And Earth is just one small planet in one medium-sized solar system in an unremarkable galaxy...

And even destroying all matter would still leave the plane itself, with all its space, to be disposed of.

Brookshw
2015-08-13, 05:47 AM
Doesn't work, unlike the planet (finite object) scenario we're now killing an infinite area, possibly of infinite mass. Generally the closest you'll get is the psionic genesis which has a specific anti-genesis clause. Unfortunately that affects a finite area so no matter how many times its cast you aren't going to take out a plane. Sure, not all infinites are the same size but that's largely immaterial, many planes are indeed true infinites so no matter how much dust of dryness you throw at the plane of water, there's still more plane of water (and, ya know, water). Conceivably with outer planes being connected to belief you could affect, and possibly change or move them by changing belief but even then its not complete destruction.