PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mythic Natural Weapon Oracle

Captain Morgan
2015-08-12, 11:46 PM
Hey all!

I've been whooping some butt with a level 10, Mythic Tier 3 Oracle of the Dark Tapestry. Been using:

Mythic Abilities:
Dual Path
Fleet Warrior
Enduring Blessing
Mythic Domain

Feats:
Power Attack
Noble Scion: War
Leadership
Divine Protection (Pre-Errata)
Quicken Spell

Revelations:
Cloak of Shadows
Many Forms
Wings of Darkness

Combined with a Half Elf FCB, my revelations are at an effective level of 15, allowing me to Many Forms myself into top tier forms. Natural attack maulings follow in combat, with buffs all over the place and divine magic support from the Cleric list.

The problem is we went on a long break from the game and I can't figure out what to do now that I'm at level 11, Tier 4. I seem to have 2 Mythic Feats/Path Abilities unaccounted for, and a normal feat.

Natural weapons are tricky to boost though, and I'm not sure what to go with. I've got more than enough for my saves and AC already, so I pretty much just want to boost my offense.

Options include:

Improved Natural Attack, normal and Mythic
Mythic Weapons Training, so the above applies to all of my natural weapons

Mythic Power Attack

Eldritch Heritage: Orc
Mythic Eldricth Heritage

Ultimate Versatility
Sleepless

But I could use some help narrowing the field, if anyone has suggestions!

Spore
2015-08-13, 12:15 AM
I don't have enough time to analyze your character in depth but your choices seem solid. Depending on your group setup you could however go a more spell heavy route (I basically mean more metamagic and possibly Combat Casting, I like Reach spell for the occasional "ray of healing" needed to stabilize a nearby friend without leaving your melee position or provoking AoOs)

Combined with a Half Elf FCB, my revelations are at an effective level of 15

Not really. You gain 1/2 a level for any ONE revelation per FCB. So you can buff a total of 11/2 = 5,5 extra levels of revelations. You can't have all three revelations on an effective level of 15.

Captain Morgan
2015-08-13, 12:47 AM
I don't have enough time to analyze your character in depth but your choices seem solid. Depending on your group setup you could however go a more spell heavy route (I basically mean more metamagic and possibly Combat Casting, I like Reach spell for the occasional "ray of healing" needed to stabilize a nearby friend without leaving your melee position or provoking AoOs)

Honestly, I've been running into walls trying to figure out relevant spells for this guy to use in combat. Mythic opponents are often to beefy to fall to conventional spell tactics. And with a full round attack my guy can deal 150-300 damage a round. I have Grace as a spell known so I'm not too worried about being able to reach allies if they need healing, but given the DPR being thrown around on all sides it's usually safer to just murder things faster.

That said, I'm taking a second look at Mythic versions of spells. I'm a little reluctant to go that route, because I burn through a lot of Mythic Points already, but it's some of these augmented spells are pretty sweet.

Not really. You gain 1/2 a level for any ONE revelation per FCB. So you can buff a total of 11/2 = 5,5 extra levels of revelations. You can't have all three revelations on an effective level of 15

Indeed, but Mythic Domain boosts ALL my revelations by another 4 levels. :) So at level 11, I'm at 15 without using any of FCB at all.

Spore
2015-08-13, 04:33 PM
Ah I understand. Sadly I have no knowledge of the mythic rules whatsoever.

Captain Morgan
2015-08-14, 12:15 AM
I'm honestly wondering if maybe a monk dip might help. Slight AC boost. Can grab style feats with MoMS. And when combined with Feral Combat Training can natural weapons count valid targets for things like Greater Magic Weapon.

I'm finding myself running out of spells to buff with on the cleric list. And with the saves on mythic enemies I'm not sure how to leverage most offensive spells.

Spore
2015-08-14, 03:45 AM
I'm finding myself running out of spells to buff with on the cleric list.

Really? Between Protection from Evil, Bless, Aid, Shield Other, Prayer, Blessing of Fervor, Air Walk, Divine Power, True Seeing, Resist Energy, Remove Fear, Magic Vestment, you can still use utility spells.

Like Scrying, Blade Barrier, Cold Ice Strike, Comprehend Languages, Hold Person (terrible in combat, good to hold important 1 HD humanoids), Dispel Magic, Chains of Perdition, Plane Shift (porting to the home plane of my god safed me several times), Heal, Ethereal Jaunt (if you only want to flee to the other room), Silence, Lesser Restoration, Restoration, Breath of Life, Obscuring Mist, Align Weapon (you are not bound to an alignment), Make Whole (depends but I find I useful to repair doors, old and unreadable books and the like), Daylight (you're half elf and can't see that well in darkness, do you?)/Deeper Darkness (if you can see in darkness), Dimensional Anchor, Freedom of Movement, Sending, Spell Immunity (great synergy with Scrying!), Tongues....

I guess I will stop listing utility spells now.

Captain Morgan
2015-08-14, 04:48 AM
Really? Between Protection from Evil, Bless, Aid, Shield Other, Prayer, Blessing of Fervor, Air Walk, Divine Power, True Seeing, Resist Energy, Remove Fear, Magic Vestment, you can still use utility spells.

Like Scrying, Blade Barrier, Cold Ice Strike, Comprehend Languages, Hold Person (terrible in combat, good to hold important 1 HD humanoids), Dispel Magic, Chains of Perdition, Plane Shift (porting to the home plane of my god safed me several times), Heal, Ethereal Jaunt (if you only want to flee to the other room), Silence, Lesser Restoration, Restoration, Breath of Life, Obscuring Mist, Align Weapon (you are not bound to an alignment), Make Whole (depends but I find I useful to repair doors, old and unreadable books and the like), Daylight (you're half elf and can't see that well in darkness, do you?)/Deeper Darkness (if you can see in darkness), Dimensional Anchor, Freedom of Movement, Sending, Spell Immunity (great synergy with Scrying!), Tongues....

I guess I will stop listing utility spells now.

Utility isn't the problem. It's just combat presence. Specifically, for buffing myself. I'm making up lost ground because of medium BAB and there seem to be several levels where there is no relevant buff I can cast.

Part of this is because I got so whacky with the natural weapon build. Tons of spells on the cleric list only work with manufactured weapons. And because I'm polymorphing myself by default I don't get much benefit from classics like Righteous Might.

Level 5 seems especially barren in this regard.

Spore
2015-08-14, 05:35 AM
Level 5 seems especially barren in this regard.

It doesn't become any better after 5-6. High level spells are aimed towards demonstrating the power of high level casters rather than giving buff spells. Righteous Might and Spell Resistance are necessary precautions for higher level play (although I think Mythic enemies should punch right through SR). I guess you should dedicate your higher spell slots towards quickened buffs. Extend the longer lasting buffs (10min/lv or 1h/level) and quicken the shorter ones. You are never defenseless if you can quicken our a Divine Favor to catch your BAB up to full BAB classes.

Sure it's costly on your ressources. But you are playing a caster in melee range.

Captain Morgan
2015-08-14, 10:33 AM
It doesn't become any better after 5-6. High level spells are aimed towards demonstrating the power of high level casters rather than giving buff spells. Righteous Might and Spell Resistance are necessary precautions for higher level play (although I think Mythic enemies should punch right through SR). I guess you should dedicate your higher spell slots towards quickened buffs. Extend the longer lasting buffs (10min/lv or 1h/level) and quicken the shorter ones. You are never defenseless if you can quicken our a Divine Favor to catch your BAB up to full BAB classes.

Sure it's costly on your ressources. But you are playing a caster in melee range.

I suppose that's a fair point. Already, Quicken divine favor is one of my most often cast spells. And there have been a lot of obstacles and conditions that my spells have been pretty clutch in dealing with.

Blood retribution seems like it will be a solid buff at 6th level, along with Eaglesoul. And Bestow Grace of the Champion will put in work against evil stuff.

It may just wind up being worth it to invest in a standard sized rod of quicken metamagic. They are expensive as hell, but I'm finding that some of the more uber bosses require me to get uber buffed to hit them. Divine Power over Divine Favor, etc.

Edit: Mythic martial damage gets a really insane boost. It's hard not to feel jealous of that sometimes, I guess, when the fighter is dealing 300 damage in one critical hit. But the Oracle can do a helluva lot more than damage, so.