PDA

View Full Version : Druid Alignment Restriction

Yogibear41
2015-08-13, 12:04 AM
Is there a rules legal way to play a non-neutral alignment as a druid? For example is there a way to play as a CE druid and keep your spellcasting and other class features?

Enran
2015-08-13, 12:14 AM
I mean, Prestige Classing into Blighter is only truly terrible for a few levels. It's leagues weaker than straight Druid no matter what, but it can fit in a T3 campaign once you're actually a few levels into it. (Those first few levels, though, are just... Just made of no.) And although the flavor (and the, well, deforestation thing...) directly contrast the Druid (it's literally intended as an ex-Druid), the spell list honestly covers a large portion of the same mechanical bases, especially if you (or your DM, as the case may be) are open to expanding the spell list some with Spell Compendium and the like.

Other than that, I mean, not really, but alignment restrictions are one of the most terrible things about any class in D&D that has them, so why not just houserule them out?

Venger
2015-08-13, 12:18 AM
I mean, Prestige Classing into Blighter is only truly terrible for a few levels. It's leagues weaker than straight Druid no matter what, but it can fit in a T3 campaign once you're actually a few levels into it. (Those first few levels, though, are just... Just made of no.) And although the flavor (and the, well, deforestation thing...) directly contrast the Druid (it's literally intended as an ex-Druid), the spell list honestly covers a large portion of the same mechanical bases, especially if you (or your DM, as the case may be) are open to expanding the spell list some with Spell Compendium and the like.

Other than that, I mean, not really, but alignment restrictions are one of the most terrible things about any class in D&D that has them, so why not just houserule them out?

yeah this is pretty accurate.

your alignment changes nothing mechanically, so just talk to your DM. if you really want CE druid instead of an NE druid, I can't see a reasonable DM caring. if anything, you're vulnerable to one more blasphemy derivative, so if need be, you can sell it as willfully making yourself weaker for RP purposes.

Crake
2015-08-13, 02:46 AM
As a DM who removes the alignment restriction in my game, I would second just asking your DM to get rid of it, it's a dumb restriction, along with the bard, monk and barbarian ones.

Darrin
2015-08-13, 05:50 AM
Spirit Shaman?

ranagrande
2015-08-13, 06:30 PM
It doesn't help you with CE, but Urban Druids can be Lawful Evil by RAW.

DrMotives
2015-08-13, 07:34 PM
The class description for Thrall of Dagon says that ex-druid Thralls to demons get all their spellcasting back & animal companion as soon as they hit the first level of Thrall which says "+1 to spellcaster level", but permanent loss of other class features. But I agree with the other posters that a more generous return of their class features doesn't seem at all unreasonable.