PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Adventuring Gear Options?

SMWallace
2015-08-13, 01:17 AM
So, as I mentioned in a recent thread, I'm making a Favored Soul for a game. Specifically, we're starting at level 3, so most magic item (and general magic) options aren't on the table yet, and thus, I'll have to rely upon typical adventuring gear to get through these early, pre-magic-solves-all-problems levels. My big concern, then, is that I don't have much carrying capacity to work with. I'm middle-aged (necessary due to backstory), my concept didn't utilize Strength (debuffer and battlefield controller), and I really didn't have the spare points even accounting for the "don't worry about Wisdom, your Favored Soul stuff will be all-Charisma" houserule due to somewhat low Point-Buy, so my Strength ended up being my lowest score (specifically a 6). I have four pounds to work with, which can expand to nine pounds if I'm willing to give up a point of AC (breastplate to chain shirt) but it seems silly to be in medium weight limit and not take advantage of medium armor. So yeah... Basically, I'm at 36 pounds, my maximum medium capacity is 40, and given the stipulations of the campaign a mule might be impractical. So I want to know what the good, lightweight adventuring gear options would be. (I'm spending my magic item budget mostly on versatility-boosting wands, because why cast heal spells when you can use a Wand of Lesser Vigor, but I can probably squeeze room in the budget for more cheap magic if you think of anything exceptionally important.)

Thurbane
2015-08-13, 03:38 AM
The Easy Travel armor enhancement (+1500gp) allows you carry a medium load as if it were light.

Belt of the Wide Earth is worth it when you can afford it. Not only does it allow you to swap out 5th level spells for Teleport 2/day, but it doubles your carrying capacity.

Darrin
2015-08-13, 05:47 AM
Mule costs 8 GP. Saddlebags another 4 GP.

Check with Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101) for a list of low-cost high-impact items. You don't have to start with a Heward's Handy Haversack, you can collect odds'n'ends as you go along.

There's also the Natural Heavyweight feat in the Planar Handbook (p. 40), which doubles your carrying capacity.

Jowgen
2015-08-13, 07:09 AM
Talisman of the Disk. Trivializing carrying capacity is one of its many virtues. Have a handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?385848-Disciple-of-Tenser-A-Guide-to-Maximum-Tenser-s-Floating-Disk-Utility)

Oberon Kenobi
2015-08-13, 07:33 AM
An easier solution might be to ask your more muscly fellow adventurers to carry some of the aging-and-feeble's personal belongings. (Yes, I'm suggesting your friends stand in for a mule. :P)

Is there any reason not to use medium armor, by the way?

Knowing what kind of adventures you're expecting to get into, and whether Pathfinder material is on the table, would help with recommendations, too. A masterwork backpack from PF is 50 gp and increases your effective strength for carrying by 1; ask if you can backport it?

Ioun torch is weightless illumination. Always helpful, pretty cheap.

marphod
2015-08-13, 11:24 AM
Mule costs 8 GP. Saddlebags another 4 GP.

I think you mean Pack Saddle for 5gp; Saddlebags are for holding a rider's gear while also bearing a saddle and rider. A pack Saddle is for just carrying gear.

This is your best bet to carrying lots of items, hands down. It doesn't bog down you or another character. The downside is if something attacks or kills the Mule.

But, hopefully, by that time you'll have 50gp worth of Onyx and a 3rd level divine spells. :smallbiggrin:

Other options include Riding Dogs with pack saddles or a sled (they're not going to be HAPPY puppies necessarily, but hardier than mules and are less likely to refuse to go undergroud than ponies.).