PDA

View Full Version : Thrown Weapon Range

CrazedGoblin
2007-05-06, 12:43 PM
does anyone know what the range is for thrown weapons, i cant find it in the books at all any help would be nice :smallbiggrin:

Dervag
2007-05-06, 01:00 PM
It's in the SRD:

"Daggers, clubs, shortspears, spears, darts, javelins, throwing axes, light hammers, tridents, shuriken, and nets are thrown weapons. The wielder applies his or her Strength modifier to damage dealt by thrown weapons (except for splash weapons). It is possible to throw a weapon that isn’t designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesn’t have a numeric entry in the Range Increment column on Table: Weapons), but a character who does so takes a -4 penalty on the attack roll. Throwing a light or one-handed weapon is a standard action, while throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action. Regardless of the type of weapon, such an attack scores a threat only on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. Such a weapon has a range increment of 10 feet."

Tellah
2007-05-06, 01:01 PM
They vary. Look in the PHB equipment section's table (online here (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/weapons.html)). As for alchemical thrown items, the range increment is listed in each item's description (PHB items are found online here (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/goodsAndServices.html#special-substances-and-items)). Most thrown weapons have a range increment of 10 feet, although some go up to 20 and a few even higher.

CrazedGoblin
2007-05-06, 01:02 PM
groovey, thanks

Ali
2007-05-07, 06:51 AM
If a weapon has a range increment of ten feet, and you throw it at an enemy that is twenty feet away, would you take a penalty on the attack roll?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-07, 06:56 AM
Yes, indeed.

Range Increment: Any attack at less than this distance is not penalized for range. However, each full range increment imposes a cumulative –2 penalty on the attack roll. A thrown weapon has a maximum range of five range increments. A projectile weapon can shoot out to ten range increments.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-05-07, 07:28 AM
Dangit. My Ogre Hulking Hurler can't throw people further than he can hit things with them without penalty.
Yes, I said people.

Indon
2007-05-07, 07:32 AM
Dangit. My Ogre Hulking Hurler can't throw people further than he can hit things with them without penalty.
Yes, I said people.

Don't worry; the ground has really low AC.

Dervag
2007-05-07, 09:42 AM
Don't worry; the ground has really low AC.Throwing a person (who will weigh well over a hundred pounds, most likely) more than ten or twenty feet would be hard even for a mighty ogre.

Bender
2007-05-07, 09:52 AM
Throwing a person (who will weigh well over a hundred pounds, most likely) more than ten or twenty feet would be hard even for a mighty ogre.

Assuming 28 strength, the ogre could easily throw 800 lbs, and a weak ogre with only 20 str could still throw 250 lbs. This with a max distance of 50 ft

Hzurr
2007-05-07, 11:03 AM
There are some ways to increase it. The far shot feat allows you to double range increments of all thrown weapons. There's also a weapon enhancement that does the same thing (I don't know if they stack), but I feel that it wouldn't really help your ogre (unless you want to put a +1 shirt of distance on every person you throw)

TheOOB
2007-05-07, 11:44 AM
It should also be noted that thrown weapons max range is equal to five range increments unlike the 10 for projectile weapons.