PDA

View Full Version : Moon Called's Manga

Mr. Moon
2007-05-06, 12:52 PM
As many of you know, I am a hopeless gaijin of an Anime and Manga fan. So of course, like any good Mangiac, I figured I should show off my work. Feel free to worship/critisize/drool over/hate. ~_^

So far this is just the stuff I have on Photobucket so far. I have tons more on my wall I might scan one day.

And don't worry about finding anything mentaly scarring. I'm not good at that stuff. ^_^

Moon Called as a Cyborg.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Moon_Called/Untitled-1.jpg

This one started as a practice run at armor, and turned into a nice concept. If only I could figure out how I did it...

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Moon_Called/SirMarcus.jpg

The one on the bottem right was drawn by a freind of mine, and the one on the top left was drawn by me a while latter, because I liked the idea so much. Apparently, it's a Celtic monster "Youp Tide" or "Dead Water". Or something like that...

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Moon_Called/YoupTide.jpg

Here's a character for a Free Form PBP I was doing with my RL friends a while ago.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Moon_Called/Role-Playing/Shakira.jpg

This is one for another Role-Play, a girl who had cheatah and hawk DNA in her blood.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Moon_Called/Role-Playing/Aura.jpg

I drew most of them awhile ago... I really should scan up some of my current work...

Vespe Ratavo
2007-05-06, 01:22 PM
Eh, not bad, but I'm used to better because I have a friend who can draw like...ridicou-super-omega awesome.

Not bad, really.

Brickwall
2007-05-06, 05:23 PM
Y'know, it's kinda funny how all beginning humanoid artists have the same things to improve.

Basically? They're too stiff. Unnatural poses that show each portion in its fullest extent. Much like Ancient Egyptian art. For instance, one leg should usually be at least partially covering the other, unless it's from a straight on shot (usually not the best kind for anything except an aggressive set-up). In fact, if they're just standing there, their legs will be fairly close together (with the feet shoulder width apart). Arms should be firmly placed or hanging limp. If an arm is at the side, it should be nearly straight with the hand at about butt level. Also, feet don't go the same way. They just don't. Most people shift their weight onto one leg, meaning the two are at different angles.

I have plenty more advice to give, but I'd rather not unless you really want. I don't like to type much.

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-06, 07:24 PM
Pretty nice I'd say.

MC: Clearly this is your thread, (due to the name and all), but could we use this to post up any manga-style stuff? I honestly don't know if there is an existing thread for that, but I haven't noticed one. I've got some stuff I'd like to post up eventually, but I don't want to create a whole thread for it (because I don't think I'm that good...)

Brickwall
2007-05-06, 07:29 PM
Pretty nice I'd say.

MC: Clearly this is your thread, (due to the name and all), but could we use this to post up any manga-style stuff? I honestly don't know if there is an existing thread for that, but I haven't noticed one. I've got some stuff I'd like to post up eventually, but I don't want to create a whole thread for it (because I don't think I'm that good...)

It would be appropriate enough to make your own thread. That way you can get individual attention which, for any purpose, is more beneficial than being alongside another artist working in a similar field.

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-06, 07:31 PM
I just feel that if I created a thread for me alone; if I sucked it would be cringe-worthingly taking up space. And if I was actually good, I'd feel as if I was being smug or something...

Brickwall
2007-05-06, 07:50 PM
I just feel that if I created a thread for me alone; if I sucked it would be cringe-worthingly taking up space. And if I was actually good, I'd feel as if I was being smug or something...

...you worry too much. Krimm Blackleaf and tensen01 are both awesome artists who have their own threads. Why? Because art is meant to be shown off. Art is that which is shown to others. It is not art if you don't put it up for display.

And if it's not good, well, you can't get better without advice.

Seriously, don't be so shy and self-concious. It's unhealthy.

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-06, 07:55 PM
Ah...okay Brickwall you've won me over:

If I get any time whatsoever I'll try and draw up some stuff and post it into a thread, my innocent little brainchildren, up against the elements...

Brickwall
2007-05-06, 08:02 PM

If I get any time whatsoever I'll try and draw up some stuff and post it into a thread, my innocent little brainchildren, up against the elements...

Good boy. Have a biscuit.

Jack Mann
2007-05-07, 01:55 AM
My advice, Moon? Study anatomy. Get some books with models in them to look at and draw from. For a beginning artist, there's no shame in tracing, to learn those shapes properly.

Once you've gotten a handle on how anatomy works, then you can move on to the more stylized figures, as in manga. You'll have a much firmer grasp of where things go, how limbs bend, and how the proportions are supposed to be, and where you're deviating from those proportions.

Dispozition
2007-05-07, 02:04 AM

If you're going to make one but don't want only your art in there...I'll contribute my poorly drawn manga...I don't really want a thread just for myself, seeing as I have very little to post...

@Moon Called: There's some good art in there...The colouring is good but the anatomy and the poses are a little too stiff. Other than that, keep up the good work.

GND.Bell
2007-05-07, 09:53 AM
Here my advice I'm a 12 yr old kid so dunno if you can trust me or is it disrespectful or something but here is my Advice:

step one:Find a Manga that you really like.
Step two:Trace them with Tracing paper
Step three:When you feel that you get the hang of it stop using tracing paper and copy with blank paper in this step whatever you do Don't Trace but COPY
Step four:when you feel you can draw an average lvl picture stop tracing just draw you own picture!

That's it That's what I do!:smallsmile:

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-07, 10:15 AM
I used to start off doing Digimon draw-offs back in primary school. Don't know to what extent that works GND, I've never really tried to make it my style.

Oh, and Dis I'm happy to set up some "Manga-style Stuff" thread or something in the near future...

Mr. Moon
2007-05-08, 09:11 PM
12 posts already?

Oh, all from the same people. Darn. (Just kidding!)

Thanks for the advice, guys. Like I said, I drew those a while ago, I've gotten a bit better since then. I'll try to have more up latter.

In the mean time, I'll go whine at mom to see if I can borrow her old college text books. Or maybe find that one I borrowed a while ago, and put down when I was about to throw up... (~_^)

So, study anatomy, trace, and... stuff.

And I wanted to start a webcomic... *sigh* (I still do, but it's just... a while off. Unless Cassie can whine some more art work out of me... Which reminds me... Damn, I'm to lazy.)

Brickwall
2007-05-08, 09:40 PM
If you want to webcomic, either do a simple style, or become fluent in a diverse portfolio of poses before you start. Nothing is more depressing than wanting to draw a very necessary or dramatic pose and not being able to. It hurts. Why does it hurt so?!?!?!

Uhh...*ahem*...right.

Also, if you do start a webcomic, update the cast page often. You'd be a real pioneer in the field if you did that. Everyone would say, "Hey, remember MoonCalled? The one with the cast page that actually updates? Yeah, I'm serious, it's awesome! Read her comic!" Then you'd be famous.

No, I'm not commenting on every single webcomic in existence. Why would you think that?

GND.Bell
2007-05-08, 10:31 PM
:smallwink: a Webcomic never hurt:smallbiggrin:

I wanted to do one too but I have no time for that yet and I'm not a pro yet anyway but when i grow up my dream is to be a manga creator:smallbiggrin:

I draw these while ago I hope it show some example

(The letter is in Thai I'll translate it for you)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o233/Goldenbell/DeathGuildIntropage1001.jpg
???:It's so hot here!!
???: This is already 1 hour!! I've waited long enough!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o233/Goldenbell/DeathGuildIntropage2001.jpg
Tough looking guy:I'm here...Now what's the job you're talking about?

not really a stick style but hope it help(on where to put the box and stuff)

Mr. Moon
2007-05-09, 07:58 PM
Nice comic, Bell! ^_^

I have a few pages of comics I've started. I have one that's fairly funny, but it's still in the skelleton stages. Basicly the opening page for a comic I had an idea for, but I'm not very good at funny.

I also have a few scripts for various webcomics to. It's possible that I might work them together... *idea*

Nightshade and Brokefang on the same team... It'd be interesting.

And hopefully I'll remember to scan more of my stuff tomarow. *crosses fingers*

Jack Mann
2007-05-10, 02:36 AM
Yes, go ahead with the webcomic. It will give you needed practice and experience. The more art you do, and the more varied your experiments, the better you'll eventually become.

Mr. Moon
2007-05-14, 05:58 PM
Okay, more artwork! ^_^

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm lazy.

Rather small, but I kinda like it. Inspired by a (so far) un-named in Shaman King

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Moon_Called/Morgana.jpg

Fanart of Haku, from Naruto.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Moon_Called/Haku.jpg

Not Manga, but I felt like posting it. So I did. Done in chalk.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Moon_Called/T-Rex.jpg

And last up, I drew this with Tolkein furthest from my thoughts, but when I showed it to my friends, they all said it looked like a Dark Rider.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Moon_Called/DarkRider.jpg

Brickwall
2007-05-14, 10:38 PM
Okay, more artwork! ^_^

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm lazy.

Rather small, but I kinda like it. Inspired by a (so far) un-named in Shaman King

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Moon_Called/Morgana.jpg

I will focus on this one first.

A: Those clothes are too effeminate for a king. A lacy dress and lacy boots? Loopy pigtails? Nuh-uh.

2: Those eyes are too big. Yes, too big. And the lines are too thick for that size. And the straightness is a no-no. They need to be eye-shaped. But what brings them out most is...

D: The head shape is wrong. I know that in your experience of the world, it looks like eyes are near the top of the head, right? Wrong. Eyes are the halfway point. The rest is covered by hair, so we seem to think of it as smaller. However, there is as much head height above the eyes as below, just less stuff. Draw more hair, and higher. You'll be surprised how much better it looks. In fact, apply this to everything you drew. I can't believe I only just noticed it.

One more tip: your necks seem to be long. Shorten them a bit, unless you like the long-neck style (which I have seen as a stylistic choice occasionally).

Mr. Moon
2007-06-07, 01:52 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Moon_Called/Monkdude.jpg

This guy is a Monk I'm working on a character sheet on. Slightly inspired by a character in an Avatar online game. I was bored, allright? :smallmad:(:smalltongue:)

Those are burn marks, in case it isn't obvious.

Brickwall
2007-06-07, 02:18 PM
That is...much better. The forearms should probably thin out more at the end, but otherwise that's pretty good.

Mr. Moon
2007-06-07, 08:25 PM
Since I didn't get around to it earlier:

A: Those clothes are too effeminate for a king. A lacy dress and lacy boots? Loopy pigtails? Nuh-uh.

2: Those eyes are too big. Yes, too big. And the lines are too thick for that size. And the straightness is a no-no. They need to be eye-shaped. But what brings them out most is...

D: The head shape is wrong. I know that in your experience of the world, it looks like eyes are near the top of the head, right? Wrong. Eyes are the halfway point. The rest is covered by hair, so we seem to think of it as smaller. However, there is as much head height above the eyes as below, just less stuff. Draw more hair, and higher. You'll be surprised how much better it looks. In fact, apply this to everything you drew. I can't believe I only just noticed it.

A: Who says she's going to be the king? She's supposed to be a younger sister kinda character. Anyway, I didn't put her in the pannel. The guy who does Shamen King did. I just redrew her. Besides, the pig-tails were fun to draw! ^_^

2: No, the eyes are supposed to be big. It implies innocence.

D: Yeah I know, I hit a bump inking the chin. Stupid low-quality school desks. Stupid jerks who carve things on them. People draw on them, jeaze! As for the eyes, I'll try to keep that in mind.

That is...much better. The forearms should probably thin out more at the end, but otherwise that's pretty good.

If anything is hardest for me, I'd have to say it'd be wrists. I can never get them right. I'm working on it, though. ^_^

Mr. Moon
2007-06-15, 04:26 PM
Okay, looks like since schools out, I won't be able to post any of my art, since I use the school scanner. So I'll have some work for you when school gets back in.

Oh, and sorry about the double post. I figured it's been long enough, so... *shrugs*

Raistlin1040
2007-06-16, 12:57 AM
Moon has good mangaka skills. That's all I have to say. Oh and, you should draw Raistlin the Hexblade.
(Do you have a digital Camera? If so, you can take a picture and upload it to your comp, then host it on Tinypic or something.)