PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pumping up AC in Pathfinder

CRtwenty
2015-08-13, 08:03 AM
I'm currently playing as an Antipaladin in my Pathfinder game and I'm looking for ways to kick my AC as high as possible. What suggestions do you guys have? Right now I've got an AC in the mid 40s at level 15 and Mythic Tier 4, but I'd like to get it to the 60s or higher in the next few levels/tiers if possible.

Also is there an ability/feat I could get that would let me ignore the dexterity cap for AC on my armor? I took a level of Oracle for Sidestep Secret and I'm rocking a really high CHA score, but my Celestial Armor (which I need for flight so it's not replaceable) caps out at 8.

Doc_Maynot
2015-08-13, 09:10 AM
Have you thought about making the Celestial Armour Mithral? Sidenote: If you do get Mithral Celestial Armour, make sure to kilt it for +1 more AC. Nothing I know that lets you get rid of the AC cap.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-08-13, 09:38 AM
Taking Fate's Favored (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/faith-traits/fate-s-favored) (possibly with Extra Traits) will get you a really powerful +1 that can be used with basically every important number, including AC (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/jingasa-of-the-fortunate-soldier), when paired with specific magic items. +2 is a small number, but it's one you wouldn't have had at all otherwise.

What AC granting items do you have so far? It'll make advice a lot easier to give out.

ericgrau
2015-08-13, 10:07 AM
Anything more than level * 1.5 + 20 may be a bit overkill. Even if a rare few things can still hit you it may be time to look into other concerns. I bet your saves are already pretty good. What's your touch AC? Method of killing or locking down foes? Flight is good. Any way to detect invisible foes? Teleport at least a short distance when trapped or etc.?

The dusty rose prism ioun stone might get overlooked for a reasonably priced high level +1 touch AC. There are feats but I don't know if you want to blow feats on this.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-08-13, 10:22 AM
To be fair, using Mythic the monsters tend to be a little bit more painful upon being hit, and 60 AC is still not quite enough for the strongest of them.

marphod
2015-08-13, 10:33 AM
An anti-Paladin wearing Celestial armor. That's a new one on me.

---

Celestial Armor gives a once-a-day fly.

Get some potions and replace the armor. The higher potential AC more than makes up for the 750gp per potion cost. (Or get a custom item of fly once per day)

(AFAICT, Celestial Armor is priced as if it were Mithral. 4000gp for Medium armor, +3 is 9000gp, and fly once a day. ... Actually, Celestial Full Plate's price is off, then, as it should be 5k gp more, at least, plus it has a higher caster level. So I've no fracking clue.)

---

Winged Boots give a better flight option.

Felyndiira
2015-08-13, 11:10 AM
You did say that you are Mythic, right? Here's a power available to both Guardians and Champions (as a paladin, I'm assuming you didn't go Hierophant):

You don't take an armor check penalty or incur a arcane spell failure chance when wearing light armor or using a shield (including a tower shield). In addition, the maximum Dexterity bonus of light armor doesn't apply to you. You can select this ability up to three times. The second time, it also applies to medium armor. The third time, it also applies to heavy armor.

Feel free to toss out the Celestial Armor for a Mithral BreastplateHeavy Armor after you get this. The lower ACP and being able to enhance the armor without the GM making funny faces at you (enhancing specific items is questionable by RAW and explicitly banned in PFS) is a great thing.

Make sure you aren't missing any of the basic AC items. This includes Ring of Protection and Amulet of Natural Armor, but also Jingasa of the Fortunate Soldier (+1 Luck; +2 with Fate's Favored) and Dusty Rose Prism Ioun Stone (+1 Insight).

Another good way to get additional AC is through the Crane Stance chain and fighting defensively. Crane Style with 3 ranks in acrobatics changes fighting defensively to a -2 Attack, +4 AC bonus. You can cheese Crane Riposte with Master of Many Styles to make this -1 Attack, +4 AC if you wish.

Mythic Combat Expertise, at your level, is -4 Attack, +6 AC. If you get Threatening Defender, you can reduce the penalty by 1 to -3 Attack, +6 AC.

At this point, though, it's definitely overkill.

ericgrau
2015-08-13, 01:43 PM
To be fair, using Mythic the monsters tend to be a little bit more painful upon being hit, and 60 AC is still not quite enough for the strongest of them.
Ah I missed that. In that case try to auto-block ~50-75% of them, then look at other defenses like touch AC and your offensive options before you go back to AC. Overkill on 50+% of monsters could be a bit of a waste unless you've covered your bases everywhere else. Plus even on the monsters you don't auto-block they could roll low or you can auto-block their secondary attacks or power attack.

Taking Fate's Favored (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/faith-traits/fate-s-favored) (possibly with Extra Traits) will get you a really powerful +1 that can be used with basically every important number, including AC (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/jingasa-of-the-fortunate-soldier), when paired with specific magic items. +2 is a small number, but it's one you wouldn't have had at all otherwise.

What AC granting items do you have so far? It'll make advice a lot easier to give out.
This. OP, tell us what you already have so we can see what's missing. It's usually cheaper to add a bunch of +1s and +2s than to find a single big source of AC.

CRtwenty
2015-08-13, 05:36 PM
Kyton-Spawn Tiefling Oracle 1/Antipaladin 14 (Mythic Tier 4 Dual Guardian/Marshal)

Equipment:
Celestial Armor +4 - Glamered
Celestial Shield - Animated (so I can get a shield bonus while 2-handing)
Jingasa of the Fortunate Soldier (combined w/ Hat of Disguise)
Dusty Rose Prism
Amulet of Natural Armor +4
Ring of Protection +4

Feats:
Shield Mastery
Mythic Shield Mastery
Armor of the Pit (Tiefling Racial Feat)
Dodge

Abilities:
Sidestep Secret (Oracle Lore Mystery)

That Armor Mastery looks pretty good, that'll let me use my full CHA bonus to AC. My character isn't really a damage dealer, my main purpose is to pick up and fly or teleport (using Dimension Door w/ Unsanctioned Knowledge) our main melee PCs into full attack range and help with my Auras. I've got a Void Scythe too so it's usually easy for me to hit w/ Brilliant Energy.