PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Psychic Warrior WiP

BRKNdevil
2015-08-13, 11:35 AM
So I got bored again, and then I read the UA 7 with the Mystic and felt it was sort of weird that they fused all the psionic classes into one thing so I decided to work on some homebrew.

So here is the Psychic Warrior. I decided that the melee classes could easily be incorporated as subclasses and went with that. So far only one subclass is completed and the power list hasn't been finished. I used the spell point progression as the base, but fused the sorcery point progression with that in order to bring those numbers up.

Things i will not remove are the following: Metapsionics, Psionic Power Points (this is because it seems everyone is a child when they say PP)
I think that's it.

Here is the link.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8wfBieQIbTzVWEtVU5JZnQwT2M/view?usp=sharing

BRKNdevil
2015-08-14, 12:19 AM
I feel so unloved

ImSAMazing
2015-08-14, 02:48 AM
This class. is. awesome!

Flashy
2015-08-14, 04:52 AM
I like this in theory but right now it reads like a best of list of PHB martial class features. It's got half casting, it has a fighting style, it has a feature like the blade pact weapon, it has metamagic. Lurk has the champion's expanded critical, expertise to any two skill proficiencies and a version of the paladin smite using a d6 instead of a d8.

BRKNdevil
2015-08-14, 08:29 AM
The metamagic is to compensate for a fixed spells known list, which I'm fine reducing to the levels of Ranger, Along with that, metamagic is more generally useful for characters with a low amount of power to give it some general flexibility while also not being super overpowering due to high level spells.

Fighting Style is generally shared with all the half casters so i figured it was fine.

Soulbound weapon also takes up a magic item slot and doesn't go magical till 6th, like monk.

Lurk was made at about 1 am and thus dunno, probably just threw some random stuff up. the 4 subclasses all have different methods of keeping up with everyone elses damage output and it was reduced to a d6 since you had a selection of damage types

BRKNdevil
2015-08-14, 05:35 PM
So little love, anyways, I would like suggestions and your reasoning behind it

BRKNdevil
2015-08-26, 08:01 AM
Would love other peoples comments here, Also, don't really want to post it in thread since its a pain in the ass and i wish there was some way to make it easier on us. The link is open to the public so you guys can see it easily. Willing to change most stuff as long as their is a reason and would like further suggestions on the Lurk

bloodshed343
2015-08-26, 01:48 PM
Would love other peoples comments here, Also, don't really want to post it in thread since its a pain in the ass and i wish there was some way to make it easier on us. The link is open to the public so you guys can see it easily. Willing to change most stuff as long as their is a reason and would like further suggestions on the Lurk

I'll peach your Psychic Warrior if you peach my Janissary. Look for the thread I started on the front page here. It also has some races and a wizard subclass.

Here's my PEACH:

Simply too much on one chassis. I would drop the hit die down to a d6 but give it some way to gain temp hp at will(or a large amount of temp hp per short rest) to represent the mind over body aspect.

The double concentration effect of the first archetype is a bit too powerful. If you were going to use this, I would add in the restriction that failing a constitution save ends both effects and prevents you from concentrating on spells until you finish a short rest.

If you toned down the meta-psionics significantly, you could shift a lot of power into the subclasses to make them unique. Rather than meta-psionics be a clone of meta-magic, I would let them have some mostly fluff or situational auras/party buffs, and let meta-psionics be at-will or short rest recharge temporary bonuses to those buffs. For example, you might have a precognition ability that temporarily grants each friendly creature in range a +2 bonus to ac for one turn, or you might have an ability that throws up a psychic barrier for all creatures in range granting cover. You could limit these abilities with either ppp or by making them recharge on rests, effectively making them "free" spell-like abilities.

In general, half-casters are about party support mixed with nova damage. This is a good niche for them because it doesn't step on the toes of the martials, and no one cares if you step on a wizards toe because it's probably just a frog he polymorphed into a clone to cast an illusion of himself that you stepped on anyway. This class seems a little lacking in the group support area.

Since this is a psychic warrior, it would make sense that he would use some sort of telepathy to sense things and warn his allies, much like a paladins defensive auras. He might grant immunity to opportunity attacks, due to the telepathic link allowing everyone to see all around them. This kind of ability would help make the class useful to a group without causing it to steal the show the way a high-powered combat class would.

Just my 2cp.

Edit: Also half-casters don't get the extra ASI at tenth.