PDA

View Full Version : One more player unaccounted for [spoilers]

Wyvern_55
2007-05-06, 03:18 PM
After the battle of 448, it looks like Xykon is nigh unstoppable, what with the entire sapphire guard lying at his feet. Now some have mentioned that if the sapphire guard had just one high level wizard on their side as well the tide could have been turned.

Well, that might well be the case. Recall comic 292, Eugene is likely still stuck in that summoning circle in the throne room (I can’t leave the circle, and if I return to the upper planes…) and as we all recall, his specialty is illusions.

Irbis
2007-05-06, 03:23 PM
Well... It has been brought only 13245 times in the past day, but here's a cookie for trying ;)

Icewalker
2007-05-06, 03:24 PM
Yeah, couple hundred people beat you to this one. Still, I definitely think it is going to happen and merits a speculation thread of it's own.

Wyvern_55
2007-05-06, 03:27 PM
Er, sorry 'bout that, I didn't see it mentioned in any of the speculative threads I read and I honestly didn't want to go through the Behemoth of a discussion thread for anything possibly related to Eugene

PlasticSoldier
2007-05-06, 07:34 PM
Besides he can go anywhere he wants now that the sword is reforged.

taraxia
2007-05-06, 08:22 PM
He could *go* anywhere he wanted with the sword broken -- it's just that only the sword allowed Roy to see and hear him.

After he entered the summoning circle, he was bound to it and couldn't physically leave it at all, whatever the status of the sword was. (Roy has the reforged sword when he talks to Eugene in Azure City, remember?)

Eugene is actually in trouble, because presumably he's still vulnerable to certain kinds of damage or threat from within the circle, and he can't zip back from the circle to the Outer Planes because the LG Outsiders are going to be mad at the trick he pulled on them.

Finwe
2007-05-06, 08:33 PM
This does beg the question - what level was Eugene? He was (probably) of at least mid-level, given that he had several cleric friends able to resurrect him: is there any other information about him that I'm missing?

Fawkes
2007-05-06, 08:43 PM
They should reincarnate Eugene! I remember someone saying in another thread that you could defeat old age with reincarnation.

jindra34
2007-05-06, 08:45 PM
They should reincarnate Eugene! I remember someone saying in another thread that you could defeat old age with reincarnation.

Ahh... nope. i believe nothing short of high divine power can bring back someone who died of old age. sorry.

Poppatomus
2007-05-06, 09:03 PM

If someone is murdered or dies of disease and you reincarnate rather than resurrect it resets their age, no matter what it was, to young adult. Now, a young adult wolverine has a somewhat shorter lifespan then a young adult person, but depending on what you rez as (and when you die) you can get alot of play out of it.

So say shojo did want to come back. He could have asked to be reincarnated rather than rezzed. He would then be a young adult something, let's say a wolverine, because the stat bonuses are excellent. He then pays a wizard to permanently polymorph him into a human form. Boom, he is now human and a young adult.

you can do this over and over again, (slit your wrists on your deathbed) you just keep rolling the dice on what you come back as.

Fawkes
2007-05-06, 09:33 PM
Ah. Well so much for that. Curse you, misunderstanding of rules!

Gaelbert
2007-05-06, 09:37 PM
When I first saw the thread title, I thought it was talking about Durkon. But he's too far away to help, isn't he...?

Vulion
2007-05-06, 09:47 PM
I would think Shojo would have at least moved the circle, you know to make sure nobody found that the summoned celestial is really a overly critical, alan-retentive blowhard.

NeonRonin
2007-05-06, 11:18 PM
I would think Shojo would have at least moved the circle, you know to make sure nobody found that the summoned celestial is really a overly critical, alan-retentive blowhard.

Interesting... I never heard of anybody being ALAN-retentive before. Would that be the president of the Alan Alda fan club?:smallbiggrin:

Eh, just kidding. And I'm not so sure those casting circles are easy to move. It would have been simpler for Eugene to just cast an illusion over himself and the circle, giving the impression he isn't even there.

And then of course, I already posited a theory in another thread that Eugene had faked most of the paladins in the room right from the get-go, possibly without O-chul's knowledge- so nobody really got killed, and the real Guard forces are lying in wait and about to charge Xykon. I doubt it's the right theory, but I like it.

Fawkes
2007-05-07, 10:49 AM
Anal Alan would be a good name for a sitcom.

Anyhoo, I wonder if there really is anything Eugene could do to help.

Quikngruvn
2007-05-07, 10:56 AM
Sure, Eugene may be still around, and his specialty certainly is illusion, but, undead have: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType)

Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).

(Emphasis mine.) Meaning Xykon automatically sees through illusions.

Mef
2007-05-07, 11:16 AM
Speaking of forgotten creatures... where's Mr. Scruffy? Last I noticed that cat, it was running away from the throne as Miko killed Shojo.

I mean, do we have a permamently insane cat hanging around in the throne room?

Fez
2007-05-07, 11:20 AM
Speaking of forgotten creatures... where's Mr. Scruffy? Last I noticed that cat, it was running away from the throne as Miko killed Shojo.

I mean, do we have a permamently insane cat hanging around in the throne room?

Another perhaps equally interesting question: What is Mr. Scruffy

elliott20
2007-05-07, 11:22 AM
Xykon: "awww... ain't the fluffy kitty cute?" *finger of death Mr. Scruffy, then raises him as an undead kitty*

Mef
2007-05-07, 11:27 AM
Another perhaps equally interesting question: What is Mr. Scruffy

I'd say a regular cat. After all, I doubt that Shojo would expose something important to the attention of Azure City nobles (remember, he was pretending that the cat was his advisor).

Still, the animal could still see some use (pointless display of evil on Xykon's behalf, crucial thing like the insane cat jumping at Xykon's face during a spell and fizzling it due to a natural 1 on a concentration check... stuff like that)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-07, 12:28 PM
(Roy has the reforged sword when he talks to Eugene in Azure City, remember?)

Roy talks to Eugene here http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0291.html and gets his sword fixed http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html here.

Sure, Eugene may be still around, and his specialty certainly is illusion, but, undead have: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType)

Well, He's immune to half of all illusions. He's not immune to Shadow Illusions.

Roderick_BR
2007-05-07, 12:38 PM
That's something I always found funny. Elgene kept picking on Roy, because his sword-fighting skills wouldn't be a bother for Xykon, but Elgene himself would be even more useless.

jindra34
2007-05-07, 12:41 PM

Phantasms are one of many types of illusions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#illusion)... there are also figments, glamers, and shadows... none of which are covered because they are purely physical...
To Roderick_BR: as you probably now see Eugene would not have been useless.

kpenguin
2007-05-07, 01:09 PM
Huh? I assumed that Eugene went home to the face his LG masters. He wasn't in the throne room through the whole Miko vs. Hinjo/Roy thing.