PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Looking for an airtight container, a wearable book, and a way to wake unconcious

Jowgen
2015-08-13, 05:08 PM
So yes, I happen to be looking for 3 random things at the same time and thought I'd make one thread.

First, I'm looking for any given kind of air-tight container that can be opened as a free action or swift action somehow. The point here is to effectively/cheesely reduce the activation time of an eversmoking bottle (please don't judge the cheese).

Second, I'm looking for a way to visibly and securely "wear" a book. The point is to visibly carry a lesser book-type artifact as a disjunction deterrent. I'm thinking, some mundane means to walk around with a book of vile darkness strapped to my shoulder or something.

Lastly, I'm looking for a way to wake up a creature that is unconscious either due to being in negative HP or due to non-lethal damage; without expending healing I thought I saw a smelling-salt alchemical item in a dragon mag once, but I can't seem to find it, so might have imagined it.

Any suggestions much appreciated :smallsmile:

rockdeworld
2015-08-13, 05:57 PM
Dunno about a container, but a Binder with Otiax can use Open Portal on the bottle as a swift action.

Sovereign Glue will attach a book to you.

Dunno about the last =/

Hrugner
2015-08-13, 06:32 PM
put your smoking bottle into a fragile glass container and drop it as a free action.

MagpieWench
2015-08-13, 08:40 PM
For the book, Google "girdle book" it's a way of attaching a book to your belt.

Worked in the middle ages... Not entirely sure what you are trying to accomplish.

Invader
2015-08-13, 08:48 PM
A bag of holding and a DM that rules quick draw works for everything not just weapons?

Hrugner
2015-08-13, 10:14 PM
Do you need people bellow 0 HP to wake up, or can it be 0 and above?

Nifft
2015-08-14, 12:21 AM
Second, I'm looking for a way to visibly and securely "wear" a book. The point is to visibly carry a lesser book-type artifact as a disjunction deterrent. I'm thinking, some mundane means to walk around with a book of vile darkness strapped to my shoulder or something.

On one shoulder, the Pauldron of Vile Darkness.

On the other shoulder, the Necronomipauldron.

Add some roll-bars to prevent easy Sundering, and you're still less silly than many pauldron-wearing fantasy types.

Sagetim
2015-08-14, 04:21 AM
Dunno about a container, but a Binder with Otiax can use Open Portal on the bottle as a swift action.

Sovereign Glue will attach a book to you.

Dunno about the last =/

Step one: Shave chest
Step 2: Sovereign Glue book to chest.
Step 3: avoid people trying to tug it off your chest, because if they pull it off some layers of your skin are going with it.

If you want to take it to pauldron land as Nifft suggested though, you'll probably want to bend the book repeatedly so that you can have it shaped to fit over your shoulder. Then cover the book in quintessence. Then sov. glue it to your shoulder and never turn your head in that direction again to avoid scraping the quintessence off.

Alternatively, because the book is an artifact and thus immune to being damaged or destroyed by anything but it's special means, you could cover the top and sides with quintessence and just glue it onto your shoulder directly. That way it won't ruffled around as it's moved (since the pages will be exempt from the effects of time) and if anyone really bugs you, you can shoulder check them to rub the quintessence off on them so they start taking temporal distortion damage.

Stupid idea 3: sov. glue book to dull grey ioun stone. Put dull grey ioun stone on, orbiting your head. Get really annoyed at the book that is now orbiting your head regularly.

Idea 4: make a good fake. Fill it with explosive runes. An arbitrarily large number of them. Research a custom spell that you can set as a trap that causes the book touched to be read by the person who touched it instantly as a standard action. As in, all the pages are read in the same moment by the person who touches the book. Cast Energy Immunity (Sonic) on yourself regularly, then laugh as the first person who tries to steal your floating decoy book dies horribly from an arbitrarily large number of explosive runes going off against them with no saving throw.

Nifft
2015-08-14, 05:00 AM
If you want to take it to pauldron land as Nifft suggested though, you'll probably want to bend the book repeatedly so that you can have it shaped to fit over your shoulder.

Bending the books may be counter-productive, since the character WANTS people to recognize them as artifact books -- plus, it's not like fantasy pauldrons have a size limit.

http://i.imgur.com/0EO7Fy5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Rk9u12Q.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jc80UBp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wHWNbv2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Q5hHshA.jpg

Jowgen
2015-08-14, 07:11 AM
Do you need people bellow 0 HP to wake up, or can it be 0 and above?

It needs to be below 0 (and stable) unconscious and/or non-lethal exceeding HP unconcisous.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

For the book, I like the idea of the Gridle Book; as sovereign glue and quintessence stuff tends to not sit quite right with me. The Pauldrons are a close second (if only for the glorious visuals :smalltongue: )

For the eversmoking bottle, I sorta like the bottle-in-bottle-drop idea; but I really don't like the idea of letting go of my bottle. If there were a way to break the bottle while it's contents remained on my character, that would be swell. With the bag of holding and quickdraw, I think it might work; but Ideally I'd like a cheaper option. Same goes for swift-action open portal.

Telonius
2015-08-14, 07:32 AM
Just to clarify, why do you need the person to be awake? Just to communicate with them, or do you need them to be able to see something? If it's just to get information from them, Mind Probe would do it. Otherwise, maybe something from Heroes of Horror about Oneiromancy might help.

Hrugner
2015-08-14, 02:34 PM
It needs to be below 0 (and stable) unconscious and/or non-lethal exceeding HP unconcisous.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

For the book, I like the idea of the Gridle Book; as sovereign glue and quintessence stuff tends to not sit quite right with me. The Pauldrons are a close second (if only for the glorious visuals :smalltongue: )

For the eversmoking bottle, I sorta like the bottle-in-bottle-drop idea; but I really don't like the idea of letting go of my bottle. If there were a way to break the bottle while it's contents remained on my character, that would be swell. With the bag of holding and quickdraw, I think it might work; but Ideally I'd like a cheaper option. Same goes for swift-action open portal.

Run a line through the cork tying the eversmoking bottle just short of the ground. Break the bottle that the cork fits and mend it around the ever smoking bottle and seal it in. Now, when you drop the big bottle it will fall to the ground smashing to pieces releasing the smoking bottle that will dangle from your belt.

Darrin
2015-08-14, 10:27 PM
First, I'm looking for any given kind of air-tight container that can be opened as a free action or swift action somehow. The point here is to effectively/cheesely reduce the activation time of an eversmoking bottle (please don't judge the cheese).

Glove of the Master Strategist (3600 GP, Ghostwalk) should work. Or an unseen servant from a Collar of Perpetual Attendance (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c). Directing a spell is usually a move action, but you might be able to give detailed directions to Jeeves beforehand, and then signal him with a free action (speaking or drawing a certain arrow from a quiver) later.

Or how about a Masterwork Potion Belt to draw the bottle as a free action (assuming it's the same size as a potion). Attach a Glyph Seal (1000 GP, MIC) with an open/close spell that triggers when you touch it.

There are these Breaker Bottles in Song & Silence, but it's not clear to me how they're activated. It sounds like they break when a trigger word is spoken, but it's not clear if the text means this is a command word, spell-trigger item, or just responds to speaking (free action).

Oh, duh. Dispel magic followed by shrink item.

Spare Hand (12000 GP, MIC) can hold a book. Rope would probably be cheaper, though.

Lastly, I'm looking for a way to wake up a creature that is unconscious either due to being in negative HP or due to non-lethal damage; without expending healing I thought I saw a smelling-salt alchemical item in a dragon mag once, but I can't seem to find it, so might have imagined it.

The dawn spell (Spell Compendium) can do this, at least the HP part. Not sure about nonlethal damage.

Jowgen
2015-08-20, 08:08 AM
-awesome stuff-

Thank you for /thread :smallsmile: