PDA

View Full Version : HoB, ToB, Eberron?

Don Beegles
2007-05-06, 04:07 PM
I think I'm going to get my own copy of the PHB soon, and with it one of the above source books. The only trouble is, I can't really decide which one. So what do I go with: Heroes of Battle, Eberron, or Tome of Battle?

Jack Mann
2007-05-06, 04:11 PM
Ooh, that's a toughie. Eberron is awesome, but Tome of Battle is great for bringing melee characters up to snuff.

It really depends on what sort of gaming you do. Are you a DM? Do you play a lot of melee? Tell us what you want from your D&D books and we can give you a better answer.

Khoran
2007-05-06, 04:16 PM
I'd definitly take ToB over HoB, though I've never looked at Eberon, so I don't know how that compares to BoNs for quality.

Hunter Noventa
2007-05-06, 04:17 PM
Just so you know HoB is all about large-scale battles between armires. It has some neat PrCs and spells, but other than that if there are o massive armies clashing it's usefulness is limited.

brian c
2007-05-06, 04:21 PM
I feel kinda.... eh... about Heroes of Battle. If you do large-scale battles it's cool, but you probably won't use it very often. Eberron is neat, but it depends if you like the setting. If you're playing an Eberron campaign, it would be a good buy. Tome of Battle is terrific, and that would be my recommendation if you play melee characters.

bosssmiley
2007-05-06, 04:29 PM
Eberron is good for random lootable ideas, even if you don't play the setting at all. Dragonshards, Warforged & Action Points are cool.
Also: Barney-riding kender.

ToB is D&D 3.6's take on the melee classes (all except the poor forgotten Rangers, who get no love). It is teh awesome, matched only by the XPH.

HoB I don't have and haven't used, so can't reasonably comment on.

ImperiousLeader
2007-05-06, 04:34 PM
It really depends on what you want. You're talking about a book that expands and offers new options for military campaigns (Heroes of Battle), a book that expands and offers new options for melee characters (Tome of Battle), or a book offers a brand new world to play in (Eberron). As a player, I'd suggest ToB. A DM, if you prefer to homebrew, HoB is good for ideas. But Eberron is simply an awesome world, chock full of adaptable ideas.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-06, 05:07 PM
ToB followed by Eberron. Or get them all for free, you have the interweb.

HoB isn't that great.

brian c
2007-05-06, 05:34 PM

Hehe... that's why I have every book except for Fiendish Codex II. I probably could get it, but I don't have any particular reason to.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-06, 05:37 PM
Hehe... that's why I have every book except for Fiendish Codex II. I probably could get it, but I don't have any particular reason to.
Yeah, its why I have every 3.5 book published by WoTC. They aren't good enough to waste money on. And FC 2 is pretty interesting if you plan on running any adventurers with devils.

Ramza00
2007-05-06, 05:40 PM
Tob>Eberron>HoB

HoB is still very much a good book even if you don't do it big battles. Dread Commando, War Weaver (this class was made of win), Combat Medic, Battlefield Perception (yes I want to counter spells as a free action). It is one of the best "splat books"

That said, ToB and Eberron are still better. Those books are more like the 4th Core Book, and the 5th Core Book.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-06, 05:44 PM
I would put the XPH on par with ToB for sheer awesomeness and have them tied for being core.

Most of my RL games take the fighter and barbarian and make them NPC classes and then use the ToB classes for melee, ToB is just that good.

Don Beegles
2007-05-06, 05:59 PM

HoB isn't that great.

Wait what, how does I go about this, pray tell.

Seatbelt
2007-05-06, 06:08 PM
Wait what, how does I go about this, pray tell.

It is stealing. Much like one steals music. Right down to the same program. Filesharing is evil!!!

Rawhide
2007-05-06, 07:01 PM
The Hairy Modfather: The discussion of illegal activity such as piracy is strictly prohibited on the board. Don Beegles, if your original question was not answered to your satisfaction, you may start a new thread.