PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Grab Bag of 5e Homebrew Spells and cantrips - PEACH

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-08-14, 05:55 AM
This is something that I originally posted in concert with the Duskblade class you've probably seen floating around the forums. Anyway, I'm trying to see what people think of the homebrew spell list that my group has developed and is using (yes most of these are my fault). Please note that feedback is greatly appreciated as I wish to make this a balanced as possible. This tends to be difficult when trying to avoid recreating firebolt over and over with a new damage type each time, but I'd like to think that I did that decently in some cases.

Gr7mms Custom Spells (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m01JcmdjZNvCv5Iq3q2JdVnftCLsSU_mogF7D4qg6Ew/edit?usp=docslist_api)

Originally it sprang up from me starting a project to create better coverage with the types of damaging cantrips we have at our disposal. So I set out to create a melee, ranged, and save cantrip for each damage type. The only one that I have not added is the melee necrotic, but that's just chill touch with 1d0 and melee (whoo).

This also has inspiration from many different sources and they are a few that even come from this site. If you see a spell that you've created in this document, feel free to request recognition in the form of a comment or post. I do not want to be made off ass though I am stealing ideas and would love to give credit to those who want it.

Bellatrix
2015-08-14, 06:00 PM
Hmm. Looking through these spells in that list and they feel a little balanced but a few critiques.

Caustic Caress - A lovely idea to get some acidic stuff up close and personal, but the additional damage I feel makes it feel a bit too strong for a cantrip? Surely granted it is putting the caster in harm's way, but nothing like some AC boosting can't fix. Don't know, I feel the additional damage may offset it to 1st level.

Death Knell - The wording on what it does is strange. Does it use an attack roll or just makes the target require a con check? Does it hit multiple things or what?

Force Palm - Could be better, but I feel the disadvantage bit may kick it up toward 1st level.

Shout - Hello sunder to all things non-magical.

Just another guy's opinion. Eh?

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-08-14, 11:53 PM
Updates happened.

Death Knell clarified to be single save
Spell lists updated further

As for the acid spells that deal secondary damage, i feel that they are balanced based on what ive seen presented. DMG has a cantrip with its base damage at 1d10. I agree that 1d6 and 1d4 have a better average, the damage is spread out through the round. if this proves to be overbearing in my testing I'll make the necessary adjustments.

For force palm i am considering bumping the dice to 1d6 and dropping the disadv.

PoeticDwarf
2015-08-16, 01:57 AM
This is something that I originally posted in concert with the Duskblade class you've probably seen floating around the forums. Anyway, I'm trying to see what people think of the homebrew spell list that my group has developed and is using (yes most of these are my fault). Please note that feedback is greatly appreciated as I wish to make this a balanced as possible. This tends to be difficult when trying to avoid recreating firebolt over and over with a new damage type each time, but I'd like to think that I did that decently in some cases.

Gr7mms Custom Spells (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m01JcmdjZNvCv5Iq3q2JdVnftCLsSU_mogF7D4qg6Ew/edit?usp=docslist_api)

Originally it sprang up from me starting a project to create better coverage with the types of damaging cantrips we have at our disposal. So I set out to create a melee, ranged, and save cantrip for each damage type. The only one that I have not added is the melee necrotic, but that's just chill touch with 1d0 and melee (whoo).

This also has inspiration from many different sources and they are a few that even come from this site. If you see a spell that you've created in this document, feel free to request recognition in the form of a comment or post. I do not want to be made off ass though I am stealing ideas and would love to give credit to those who want it.

Looks nice, make conjure modron.

Strill
2015-08-16, 06:10 AM
I'm not sure about Arcane Darts. 1d4 + 1 is equal to 1d6, but not as good if you crit, so I can certainly see permanent advantage being balanced compared to Firebolt and Ray of Frost, but I think combining that with the Force damage type, which is the best damage type, might be pushing it a little over the edge. Perhaps make it bludgeoning instead?

Maybe I'm just overanalyzing though.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-08-16, 11:16 AM
Looks nice, make conjure modron.

The cojuration spells were made by another playgrounder, JamesIncantro and can also be found on his worldbuilderblog. The link to his stuff can also be found at the end of the document. He makes a lot of really awesome stuff for 5e and seems to have a generally good grasp on design. However, give me a bit to finish hurdling through the Time Domain im drawing up for ninja_prawns chronomancy thread and i come back to that idea.

I'm not sure about Arcane Darts. 1d4 + 1 is equal to 1d6, but not as good if you crit, so I can certainly see permanent advantage being balanced compared to Firebolt and Ray of Frost, but I think combining that with the Force damage type, which is the best damage type, might be pushing it a little over the edge. Perhaps make it bludgeoning instead?

Maybe I'm just overanalyzing though.

AArcane darts seems to be the most constriversal one in my group. i feel that the cantrip is balanced overall just being magic missile for spam. But i think i might be wise in limiting who has access to it.

Strill
2015-08-16, 02:59 PM
Caustic Caress should be either Conjuration or Transmutation.

Acid Spike should be Conjuration.

Poison Sting should be either Conjuration or Transmutation.

Thought Jab should be Enchantment.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-08-16, 10:40 PM
Caustic Caress should be either Conjuration or Transmutation.

Acid Spike should be Conjuration.

Poison Sting should be either Conjuration or Transmutation.

Thought Jab should be Enchantment.

Ahem, hmm. . . whoops. Anyhoo several changes to the associated schools with several cantrips.

Waffleworshiper
2015-12-05, 06:40 PM
So Thunderpunch should not be 1d10, as that is the damage die for the pure damage, no effects, cantrips. I would go with 1d8.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-12-16, 06:20 PM
So Thunderpunch should not be 1d10, as that is the damage die for the pure damage, no effects, cantrips. I would go with 1d8.

Its a d10 because its a melee range with a fluff/negative effect and a positive effect.

I went with the formula based on how some of the cantrip patterns are.
Standard = d10 with up to 90ft range.
Effect = down a dice for a general perk + a specific perk (look at Chill touch)
Range = Melee range spells have a dice up on damage because of the limited range.

Shocking grasp is a little nugget of win because it has a powerful situational perk (adv against metal clad targets) and a baller control perk for a gernal perk (no reaction) because of this it has its dice size bumped down for each perk.

I am considering knocking thunderpunch down a peg though, i'll let you know when it has more field testing.

Strill
2015-12-16, 10:09 PM
Do you take damage type into account? For example, Fire Bolt is 1d10, but it's also Fire damage, which is the second-worst damage type next to poison. Similarly, Sacred Flame is 1d8, but it's Radiant, which is tied with Force for the best damage type.

Sicarius Victis
2016-09-08, 08:59 PM
Why does the list have both Force Palm and Thunderpunch? Mind Stab and Thought Jab? Arc Bolt and Spark Jolt? What's up with the almost-duplicates?

Never mind, just realized that some are based off of saves and some aren't. What's up with Force Palm, though? It's basically Thunderpunch, but a different damage type and weaker damage made up for by a rider. That's neat, but it doesn't seem to be on any class's spell list...

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-09-09, 10:06 AM
Never mind, just realized that some are based off of saves and some aren't. What's up with Force Palm, though? It's basically Thunderpunch, but a different damage type and weaker damage made up for by a rider. That's neat, but it doesn't seem to be on any class's spell list...

You bring up a valid point about the similarities. Between Force Palm and Thunderpunch. Seeing as how utility as damaging cantrips go Force palm is, what do you feel would be a thematic change for thunderpunch?

Strongly considering putting a deafened condition on it that lasts until the start of the casters next turn. Also yes, that spell list originally started as a homebrew project to fill in for missing cantrips for Range, Melee, and Save for all the non-physical damage types.

Also updated force palm to be on spell lists.

Sicarius Victis
2016-09-09, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I saw the Melee/Ranged/Save thing before, but it didn't really click until I noticed that both Mind Stab and Thought Jab were on the Bard spell list. Sadly, that was after I'd posted, so I felt stupid and had to edit the comment.

As for Thunderpunch, how about letting them make an unarmed attack as a melee spell attack, and letting them add their spellcasting modifier to the damage? Then at higher caster levels, it increases the damage by 1d6 or 1d8 at each interval? It could even add 1d6 damage at 1st level, increasing to 2d6 at fifth and such. Basically a SCAG cantrip for punching people instead of stabbing them. Not sure I've seen any spell that works that way, so it could be interesting.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-10-06, 07:35 AM
I've made one weapon delivery cantrip for clerics just to see how they feel to make. Atm they make me kinda nervous especially with classes like cleric who already get bonus damage with weapon attacks. As for thunderpunch, I've tweaked it a little, but still feel I could be more inspired as a melee spell attack cantrip that deals thunder damage.

Foxhound438
2016-10-08, 10:52 PM
Arc bolt should be d6's, in line with all the other multitarget cantrips.

Ice shiv is super overpowered. Free advantage on a cantrip that effectively does better damage than firebolt after the added extra is too much. Pick one, basically.

d10 on a cantrip with both a good damage type and a rider effect is also overpowered, so I second the "change thunderpunch" comments.

Most of all, everything, cantrip wise, that gives penalties to saving throws should be thrown out or reworked entirely. Penalties to ST are extremely rare in 5e for a reason, and tying them to cantrips is potentially game breaking.

I only looked at the cantrips, because I like cantrips. the higher level spells may need some consideration, but it's whatever.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-10-09, 12:02 AM
Arc bolt should be d6's, in line with all the other multitarget cantrips.

Ice shiv is super overpowered. Free advantage on a cantrip that effectively does better damage than firebolt after the added extra is too much. Pick one, basically.

d10 on a cantrip with both a good damage type and a rider effect is also overpowered, so I second the "change thunderpunch" comments.

Most of all, everything, cantrip wise, that gives penalties to saving throws should be thrown out or reworked entirely. Penalties to ST are extremely rare in 5e for a reason, and tying them to cantrips is potentially game breaking.

I only looked at the cantrips, because I like cantrips. the higher level spells may need some consideration, but it's whatever.

The d10 on Thunderpunch is completely within the guidelines of the DMG. Especially when you consider that firebolt is a d10 with the largest range of any cantrip made. With thunderpunch being melee it is 4 full range increments away from firebolt (increments being 120, 90, 60, 30, touch). Being an odd damage type that is in the middle of the Monster Manual's resistance/immunity scope, it will only be shrug off by half as many creeps. The typing alone is worth 2 of those increments. The push is pretty potent and the Deafend is meh that is balanced out by announcing your position to everybody within 150ft at a minimum. The "change thunderpunch" talk was really to make it more fluffy and less like a sound based version of my Force Palm, which does still need to happen.

The reason why Shocking Grasp is only a d8 is because of how powerful its riders are, a cantrip that allows the squishy caster to slap someone in armor AND run away scott free is super potent.

I do agree that arc bolt needs to be trimmed down to d6's.

Ice shiv should be reigned in to d4's with the penalty rider being brought to dex in a lesser way. The advantage and extra damage should be enough to make up for it being another Melee cantrip with situational riders.

Mind Stab and Thought Jab both changed to tone down the potential abuse.

Doing another review of my cantrips and spells. These were made over a year ago, so new perspective from my end is needed.