PDA

View Full Version : The end is nigh!

_Jarlaxle_
2015-08-14, 06:03 AM
Gods are voting to destroy the world and the 1000. episodes is close.
So it's pretty obvious in 999 the gods will vote YES and in 1000. the final episode they destroy the world.

Run you fouls! (and get yourself a Gate scroll)

Troy
2015-08-14, 08:35 PM
No way. See the Geekademia Interview (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18874383&postcount=4), Part 5, point 5J:

Some people are all "he's gonna plan to end it at strip 1000." Absolutely not. It will go way past strip 1000 because we're already at 833 and we're not done with this book yet, and there's at least two more books left.
So save your doomsday panic for book 7.

jere7my
2015-08-14, 10:12 PM
No way. See the Geekademia Interview (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18874383&postcount=4), Part 5, point 5J:

So save your doomsday panic for book 7.

Dave Sim trolled his readership in exactly this way, in issue 183 of Cerebus. He had said, for decades, that Cerebus would be a single 300-issue story, but then wrote, via his authorial stand-in Viktor Davis:

That night, Viktor Davis decided that Cerebus would not run for three hundred issues. He decided that Cerebus would run for two hundred issues. Viktor Davis decided to keep this a secret, telling no one for fourteen years.

He would not announce it until issue one hundred and eighty-three, a year and five months before the end: November 1995.

It later turned out he was lying/joking/trolling, and Cerebus went on to issue 300. Of course, this came as Sim was descending into overt misogyny and paranoia; I would not want to draw any comparisons between Sim and Rich, and don't think Rich would resort to this kind of trickery.

It's a shame; the first ~150 issues of Cerebus were a monumental work of genius, and by the time he made this "announcement" a lot of readers greeted the news that it might end at issue 200 with relief rather than disappointment. I never did read the last hundred issues.

Mad Humanist
2015-08-15, 08:12 AM
Your forgetting the conspiracy theorists. Even after we get past strip 1000 and this story arc, some people will still be claiming that it really did end at 1000, but the "new ones" are not real because they were faked in a drawing program on a computer.

DataNinja
2015-08-15, 12:57 PM
Your forgetting the conspiracy theorists. Even after we get past strip 1000 and this story arc, some people will still be claiming that it really did end at 1000, but the "new ones" are not real because they were faked in a drawing program on a computer.

The entire Godsmoot is a lie. :smallbiggrin:

Remember, it's not allowed to be reproduced or recorded in any way. So this is obviously just a figment of the author's imagination. :smalltongue:

Reddish Mage
2015-08-15, 01:32 PM
Dave Sim trolled his readership in exactly this way, in issue 183 of Cerebus. He had said, for decades, that Cerebus would be a single 300-issue story, but then wrote, via his authorial stand-in Viktor Davis:

It later turned out he was lying/joking/trolling, and Cerebus went on to issue 300. Of course, this came as Sim was descending into overt misogyny and paranoia; I would not want to draw any comparisons between Sim and Rich, and don't think Rich would resort to this kind of trickery.

It's a shame; the first ~150 issues of Cerebus were a monumental work of genius, and by the time he made this "announcement" a lot of readers greeted the news that it might end at issue 200 with relief rather than disappointment. I never did read the last hundred issues.

I'm trying to imagine a OOTS descending into overt misogyny and paranoia...and I am failing utterly.

Sylian
2015-08-15, 01:52 PM
Your forgetting the conspiracy theorists. Even after we get past strip 1000 and this story arc, some people will still be claiming that it really did end at 1000, but the "new ones" are not real because they were faked in a drawing program on a computer.Aren't they supposed to still be trapped in the illusion?

King of Nowhere
2015-08-15, 07:41 PM
well, i would sort of expect the possibility of the world ending and the story just resolving in a big "rocks fall, everybody dies" being the subject of some in-comic jokes. But ultimately, it would be utterly anticlimatic. I really don't think rich would do something like that. Not unless he suddenly got bored and wanted to do something else. AND he also suddenly inherited big money, or won the lottery, because ending oots like that would likely cost him most of his readership, and his health issues would hinder any chance at finding a normal job.

Troy
2015-08-16, 08:41 AM
In other words, suddenly ending the strip at #1000 doesn't give any plotline "A SATISFYING RESOLUTION" and will be "A TERRIBLE ENDING", to quote Tarquin.

Killer Angel
2015-08-16, 09:26 AM
Gods are voting to destroy the world and the 1000. episodes is close.
So it's pretty obvious in 999 the gods will vote YES and in 1000. the final episode they destroy the world.

Run you fouls! (and get yourself a Gate scroll)

A fascinating theory.
If it were the 1st of april, you may even be right . :smallwink:

kivzirrum
2015-08-18, 09:33 AM
I'm trying to imagine a OOTS descending into overt misogyny and paranoia...and I am failing utterly.

And thank the Twelve Gods for that.

Vinyadan
2015-08-18, 09:46 AM
http://s30.postimg.org/8pg4ln8lt/The_end_is_near_no_need_for_a_description_7326dc.j pg

What? He's a dwarf! :smallcool:

Fitzclowningham
2015-08-18, 10:05 AM

There are a lot of gems in with the kookery of the second half of Cerberus, and it's pretty easy to avoid the latter (skip all text sections!). The stuff he did with the Three Stooges is priceless.

Edit: Not the Marx Brothers.

Alex Warlorn
2015-08-18, 12:35 PM
"Look, we evacuate your spirits to the afterlife, we repair the damage to the container to the thing that could eat your souls, then we remake the world, you reincarnate on the planet with new lives, free of charge."