PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Augmented Soldier Homebrew (PEACH)

Flashy
2015-08-14, 06:54 AM
Hello again all! I run an early renaissance magitech campaign, and I decided to get around to statting out a couple of properly augmented enemies. This is my first real stab at monster homebrew, so I thought I'd run them by the forum to see if my CR ratings were even remotely right. PDF here. (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byh62s8kxIG6cGRFNk82cHlVV1U)

There are three homebrew monsters, each on its own page because I am Bad At FormattingTM.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-14, 07:25 AM
I am checking CRs now. Will update when done. :smallsmile:

Ok, following the DMG rules, I get slightly different CRs to you.

Scarred Champion: DEF 1, ATK 3 = 2. This doesn't take into account their hypnosis thing; the DMG doesn't think that's worth anything. Maybe it is worth a bump from 2 to 3.
Necromancer Orderly: DEF 1/4, ATK 1/2 = 1/2. I always round up with CR, to be safe. You should consider giving it Ray of Frost, so that it has something to do once it's blown its spell slots.
Augmented Commander: DEF 5, ATK 5 = 5. I agree with you on this one. Kind of surprised not to see any damage resistance though.

Flashy
2015-08-14, 07:44 AM
Scarred Champion: DEF 1, ATK 3 = 2. This doesn't take into account their hypnosis thing; the DMG doesn't think that's worth anything. Maybe it is worth a bump from 2 to 3.
The hypnosis is literally just Hypnotic Pattern centered on themselves with constitution as the casting ability. I went one high just because I was worried a 3rd level spell might be too much in a CR3 package. It's probably a pretty safe bet at 2.

Necromancer Orderly: DEF 1/4, ATK 1/2 = 1/2. I always round up with CR, to be safe. You should consider giving it Ray of Frost, so that it has something to do once it's blown its spell slots.
I actually originally had Ray of Frost, but replaced it with prestidigitation because I was worried it didn't feel medic-y enough. I'll add it back on and definitely bump the CR up to 1/2

Augmented Commander: DEF 5, ATK 5 = 5. I agree with you on this one. Kind of surprised not to see any damage resistance though.
It's a good point. I'll adjust the hitpoints down to 75 and throw resistance to nonmagical physical damage on instead.

EDIT: Updated the first post