PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monk Archetype - Way of the Gods

Citan
2015-08-14, 11:48 AM
Hi all!

I was discussing with other pixies on the subject of Monk multiclassing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19674046&postcount=8) with spellcasters, especially to get smite ability. In it, I underlined the difficulty of such a multiclass since it hampers Ki points pool, although there are already a scarce resource for pure Monk.

So I put together a homebrew archetype to address this: a sort of a mix between Way of the Elements (ki points for spellcasting) and Favored Soul Sorcerer (automatically learn Cleric Domain spells).

I designed it very quickly so consider this an early draft. There are many things I hesitate upon, especially in terms of balance or efficiency. Critics and suggestions welcomed as always. :)

Here goes (I'm sorry it's a bit complex to read, beware I make heavy reference to Cleric class features related to Domains)...

Way of the Gods
During your like as a Monk, you spent countless hours praying to a God and acting in such a manner that you reflect the values of your religion. As you advance in your career, you being developing a true relationship with your divinity, feeling its energy envelop and guide you.

Divine Manifestation
Studying the rituals and traditions associated with your divinity, you learn how to manifest its energy to create effects similar to some spells.
Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, select one domain related to your deity: Knowledge, Life, Light, Nature, Tempest, Trickery, or War. Each domain is detailed at the end of the class description, and each one provides examples of gods associated with it. When you attain levels 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 you learn the spells of lvl 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 respectively that are associated to the domain. You can replicate these spells by consuming your Ki, with a cost of 1+spell level.
You can never cast a spell at a higher level than the level of the highest spell you know.
I obviously want to mimic Favored Soul domain, but to respect Monk progression I had to shift the learning by two levels each time.
Getting lvl5 spell at lvl 11 for a non-spellcaster may seem very early. I considered defining a custom curve (like 3/6/9/12/15). But considering these spells are the only ones they will ever know, didn't seem so OP to me (I totally dislike the learning balance of Way of the Elements).
Also, my initial idea was to make spellcasting cost on par with spell levels. But after thought, I realized that it would potentially allow Monks to cast more mid-lvl spells (lvl4, lvl5) than even pure spellcasters between long rest, since Ki points restore on short.
So I mimicked the cost of Elements Monk, although defined differently. This ensures that a Monk can not cast more spells "in a row" than Cleric at least.

Divine Inspiration
At level 6, you can now grasp the awareness of your God's existence. By focusing all your mental resources on your inner faith, you call down the divine presence into you and exert its influence.
Choose one of the Cleric's Channel Divinity option associated to your Domain. You can now use it 1 time between long rests (2 times when you get lvl 18).
You also gain the benefits associated with your Domain that 1st level Cleric gets.
I'm not sure that the Channel Divinity option would really benefit Monks, so true value imo is getting the 1st level bonus of Clerics. Maybe its too strong for that level? But I felt that since these Monks have very very low spellcasting ability anyways, they earned this.

Divine Representant
Your communion with your God is now so strong that you can feel the God's presence around you. It may also manifest itself through minor effects such as an aura around a holy symbol, a faint light in your eyes or other alteration of your appearance.
At lvl 11, choose one of the following options.
1) Host of God. You become more sensitive to your God's presence and he grants in return a surge of energy by keeping a small part of himself in your own body. You gain 1 bonus Ki point at lvl 11, 13, 15, 17, 20. These points will behave as normal Ki points and regenerate on short rest as usual, as long as you behave in a way that pleases your God. Should you lose your way, you will suffer a permanent reduction to your Ki pool amounting to twice your amount of bonus Ki points. This reduction will stand until you redeemed yourself through a quest or extraordinary feat.
2) God's Celebration.Choose one of the two 1st-level spells you know. You can know cast it once per short-rest as a level 1 spell without consuming Ki.
3) God's Fist of Redemption. Your God allows you to channel its divine energy through your fists. When making an Unarmed Strike, you can choose to consume Ki points to deal additional damage, 1d8 damage per Ki point. You can never consume more Ki points on a single strike than your Monk level divided by 4, rounded down. The nature of this damage is the same one as the Cleric's lvl 8 Divine Strike (Radiant for Domains which don't grant Divine Strike).

My first idea there was to compensate the very limited spell options by providing more Ki points. But since it's a short-rest resource it could be too powerful compared to other Monks.
Hence the two options: one high reward for high risks, one flat but limited bonus.
The third one was because I remembered we were talking about smiting initially. :) The limitation on max "smite" per attack is to keep a sense of progression and prevent overshadowing Paladin at low levels. It does provide a very nice nova option to Monk though (especially for Nature with choice of element), maybe too powerful? I also thought about making it a One-attack-per-short-rest only, with ki consumption cap increasing with class level, from 1 to 10.

----- Example 1 -----
I'm a pure Monk. On level 3, I choose the Light Domain spell. I automatically learn Burning Hands and Faerie Fire, which I can cast as lvl 1 spells only.
On lvl 6, I gain the "Bonus Light Cantrip" and "Warding Flare" abilities and I learn the Radiance of the Dawn CD.
On lvl 9, I just learned the 4th level spells Guardian of Faith, Wall of Fire. I can now cast it by consuming 1+4 Ki points. I could also cast Burning hands as a 4th level spell.
On lvl 11, I choose the Fists of Redemption ability. I can now pour up to 2 ki points per Unarmed Strike to deal additional radiant damage.

----- Example 2 -----
I choose the Nature domain.
On level 6 I decide to learn Shillelagh cantrip and get proficient in Nature. I also learn the Charm Animals and Plants ability.
On level 11 I choose the Fists of Redemption ability. I'll be able to imbue my Unarmed Strikes with fire/cold/lightning/thunder damage.

NOTES: Sorry this is a bit complex to read since I refer constantly to Cleric class. Also, descriptions and names are lacking creativity because was made up on the fly. ^^

TL;RD: Imagine a Favored Soul Monk who uses same spellcasting cost as Elements Monk, with 1 Channel Divinity per long rest for most of their career. Biggest difference is class ability at lvl11: either more ki points, a once-per-rest free lvl1 spell or limited smiting capability.

Thanks for reading. :)

ZenBear
2015-08-14, 02:54 PM
Very cool concept. A few critiques:

1. Several spelling errors. Give it a close read through and you should spot them.

2. Giving the Monk the Cleric Domain Spells is great, but giving them the Domain features and Channel Divinity is too much, especially since the 1st level War Domain features grants a bonus action attack which is useless to the Monk.

3. The ki-smite ability should come online sooner. Perhaps at level 6 in place of the Domain features thing.

I've been meaning to put together a homebrew divine magic Monk subclass but haven't gotten around to it yet. If/When I do please don't take it as a dismissal of your idea here. I really do like the ideas you came up with!

Citan
2015-08-14, 04:12 PM
Very cool concept. A few critiques:

1. Several spelling errors. Give it a close read through and you should spot them.

2. Giving the Monk the Cleric Domain Spells is great, but giving them the Domain features and Channel Divinity is too much, especially since the 1st level War Domain features grants a bonus action attack which is useless to the Monk.

3. The ki-smite ability should come online sooner. Perhaps at level 6 in place of the Domain features thing.

I've been meaning to put together a homebrew divine magic Monk subclass but haven't gotten around to it yet. If/When I do please don't take it as a dismissal of your idea here. I really do like the ideas you came up with!
Hey, thanks for your notes. As a follow-up...
1. Ok I'll look again.

2. If it's useless how would it be overpowered? :) Also, I got the feeling that Domains had each one either an interesting CD OR an interesting feature, rarely both... Except maybe the Life domain. With that said, I was a bit flustered to give such a leap in abilities as soon as lvl 6, if only for fluff reasons.
Anyways I've had a new idea: give choice of either CD or bonus abilities. More choice is always good imo and will avoid useless benefits either way (I look at you, War Domain bonus).

3. I've been thinking about this myself in fact when I was copying the text from the other thread.

>>> I'll still wait to see what other people have to say, but I stronly consider making the following changes.
- making the smite ability a no-choice subclass feature at lvl 6 in addition to the other one (it's a low scaling ability so should be fine balance-wise).
- ask for a choice between either CD option or bonus abilities at lvl 6.

Also, for the first choice at lvl 11, is the mechanical intent clear? I found hard to express my idea. Would it be too complex to follow for players, or too DM-dependent? I liked the idea of putting a responsibility to respect the god, but it relies very much on the DM...

ZenBear
2015-08-14, 08:55 PM
By too much I meant too much overlap with the Cleric class. You're basically giving the Monk an entire Cleric subclass as a 6th level feature. Just spells should do.

The 11th level abilities are clear enough. I don't think it's necessary to tie that specific ability to your deity's favor since the entire subclass requires the blessings of a deity in the same way being a Cleric at all does. Also in some settings Clerics can worship philosophies instead of deities, so this subclass should have the same freedom.