PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making a dinosaur wizard!

GoomBard
2015-08-14, 04:27 PM
Hi there. I'm running a campaign focusing on demons and primarily set in a jungle. For a final boss of a story arc, I thought it would be cool to say that a demon found a ritual to fuse with a monster, giving it spellcasting powers. It then did this with an ankylosaurus or allosaurus (not sure, both on page 79 of MM), creating a dino wizard. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for what spells to give the dino, bearing in mind I want it to have an end CR of 4-5.
Thanks!

Nifft
2015-08-14, 05:43 PM
Do you just want core 5e spells?

Also: What spells do you want the PCs to loot from its rapidly cooling corpse?

That's perhaps the most important question, since it might have the longest term impact on your campaign.

Bellatrix
2015-08-14, 05:44 PM
Judging from the books I guess you're assuming 3.xe?

GoomBard
2015-08-15, 03:56 AM
Yeah, core 5e spells only please. I was also thinking that it would be a natural spellcasting ability, so basically the dino can cast these spells because the demon can cast them and when it dies the demon gets banished back to the abyss or whatever.
So I guess the question is more 'what spells would a be useful for a primarialy melee dino?'

Nifft
2015-08-15, 04:23 AM
I think you want to use an Allosaurus, because the other one is a herbivore.

What spells would be useful?
- Alarm (it's not surprised)
- Grease (flavor text: BBQ sauce)
- Jump or Longstrider
- Shield

At level 2:
- Alter Self (... to look like an unassuming elderly gnome explorer. "What ho! Are these adventurers I see?")
- Enlarge / Reduce
- Mirror Image

GoomBard
2015-08-15, 04:50 AM
Oh **** yes, enlarge on a dinosaur would be awesome! I was also thinking Blur, to help with dodging attacks. And what about something offensive, like scorching ray? Ray of enfeeblement might also be nice.

PoeticDwarf
2015-08-16, 12:42 AM
Hi there. I'm running a campaign focusing on demons and primarily set in a jungle. For a final boss of a story arc, I thought it would be cool to say that a demon found a ritual to fuse with a monster, giving it spellcasting powers. It then did this with an ankylosaurus or allosaurus (not sure, both on page 79 of MM), creating a dino wizard. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for what spells to give the dino, bearing in mind I want it to have an end CR of 4-5.
Thanks!

Druid spells, I think? You can give him the spells Pharblex Sphattergoo has, because he got his power from a demon, you can give him more demonlike spells (maybe fire, so the tree the adventurers are standing on is going to burn.