PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer's Sixshooter

Fightmaster
2015-08-14, 06:36 PM
Hey all, I'm working on a magic item for one of my player's birthdays. What I had in mind was to give him a wand that looks exactly like a revolver. What would be some fun spells or abilities for it to have? He'll most likely be getting it at 5th level or on the cusp of it.

Wartex1
2015-08-14, 06:38 PM
Have it be a once-per-day cast of a 4th-Level Magic Missile, that way it fires 6 missiles.

Wartex1
2015-08-14, 06:45 PM
Actually, make it 1d3+1 times a day, since 4th level magic missile isn't really that strong (21 damage)

Ralanr
2015-08-14, 07:06 PM
Have it be a once-per-day cast of a 4th-Level Magic Missile, that way it fires 6 missiles.

Actually, make it 1d3+1 times a day, since 4th level magic missile isn't really that strong (21 damage)

That sounds more like a shotgun than a revolver.

JoeJ
2015-08-14, 07:08 PM
Whatever the spell is, it should definitely get six uses per day.

Kane0
2015-08-14, 07:09 PM
6 charges, each one fires a single scorching ray. As an action you can fire as many as you have available. Recovers 1d6 charges each day.

If that's not powerful enough change the damage to force or d8s.

Cybren
2015-08-14, 07:18 PM
Hey all, I'm working on a magic item for one of my player's birthdays. What I had in mind was to give him a wand that looks exactly like a revolver. What would be some fun spells or abilities for it to have? He'll most likely be getting it at 5th level or on the cusp of it.

I think it would be more interesting if it had 6 different effects. I could see doing it as an item with 6 charges that can cast one of six spells, but each spell only once per day, or an item that had any 6 random spells that can be cast using sorcery points (At a rate discounted than using points to create slots). The second one sounds like a cool sorcerous version of a wizards spelbook, if you are a terrible person like i am.

Paeleus
2015-08-14, 09:14 PM

What is his sorcerous origin?

How about 6 shots per long rest doing 1d8 each of fire, cold, poison, acid, electricity and force type damage. Maybe have an option at a certain point that will allow him to spend 1 sorcerer point to up the damage die to a d10 and/or 2 points to refill a charge.

Wartex1
2015-08-14, 09:18 PM

It's more like him rapid-firing, like PAHPAHPAHPAHPAHPAH!

golentan
2015-08-14, 09:25 PM
I'd say? Fires an offensive ray spell of your choice (for game balance: Pick one and stick with it, but depending on the optimization of the game you might go with whatever) once per level of spell slot expended to fuel it, storing up to 6 spell levels at a time, full round action to "reload" entirely, move action to "reload" a single shot.

danpit2991
2015-08-15, 12:32 AM
How about prismatic spray 6/Day and if he wants a specific ray he can use a Sorcery Point to decide exactly what ray otherwise it is just random

danpit2991
2015-08-15, 12:35 AM
How about prismatic spray 6/Day and if he wants a specific ray he can use a Sorcery Point to decide exactly what ray otherwise it is just random

OOPS!!!!! just looked it up 10d6 is way too much for 5th level maybe reduce the damage die and use SP to boost it somehow? IDK i just know i want it now lol

Sigreid
2015-08-15, 12:38 AM
6/day meta magic empowerment with the spell emerging from the barrel. It'd be not too over powered, but something he would never want to replace.

Alejandro
2015-08-15, 01:41 AM
Whatever you do, make the usage of the item involve spinning the cylinder (player rolls a d6) to randomly find out what effect comes up first.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-15, 02:00 AM

Actually, I think a shotgun would be pretty cool...

6 charges, 1 to cast Magic Missile IV (birdshot) or Chromatic Orb IV (solid slug), 2 to cast Aganazzar's Scorcher IV (dragon's breath). Maybe all 6 to cast Power Word: Stun (beanbag)?

That's probably a slightly higher-level item than you want. Still cool though.

Ralanr
2015-08-15, 10:43 AM
Actually, I think a shotgun would be pretty cool...

6 charges, 1 to cast Magic Missile IV (birdshot) or Chromatic Orb IV (solid slug), 2 to cast Aganazzar's Scorcher IV (dragon's breath). Maybe all 6 to cast Power Word: Stun (beanbag)?

That's probably a slightly higher-level item than you want. Still cool though.

Magic Shotgun!

pibby
2015-08-15, 12:15 PM
If you want something simple just make the revolver gives +1 to spell attacks and let's him add his charisma modifier to damage rolls from spell attack rolls. That way it's not just something he uses X times per day but rather something he can use all day.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-15, 12:19 PM
Magic Shotgun!

Now all we need is a Magic Sniper Rifle!

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/68a033cfbd683368c060fc8ccd3395ab1389989001_full.pn g

lordshadowisle
2015-08-15, 12:22 PM
Most obvious spell that comes to mind is Melf's Minute Meteors from Elemental Evil Supplement, as it comes with six tiny meteors.

Ralanr
2015-08-15, 12:27 PM
Most obvious spell that comes to mind is Melf's Minute Meteors from Elemental Evil Supplement, as it comes with six tiny meteors.

So a once a day non concentration meteors? I love that spell.

PoeticDwarf
2015-08-16, 11:10 AM
6 charges, each one fires a single scorching ray. As an action you can fire as many as you have available. Recovers 1d6 charges each day.

If that's not powerful enough change the damage to force or d8s.

Sounds cool, perfect for a birthday, it's not rare+ but it isn't really bad. Like the once/day scorching ray, because you can just go 12d6 if you want to. You can otherwise say 8 charges if you think it is weak, instead of d8's.

Fightmaster
2015-08-16, 01:12 PM
I like the idea of offering different spells. What I think might be fun is to start with it having only one spell and 6 charges. Perhaps using Melf's Minute Meteors as the basis, but allowing different "ammo" to be used eventually

Orbis Orboros
2015-08-17, 11:43 AM
What about casting the Catapult spell on whatever is loaded into the chambers? Have it come with some regular bullets. Then they can have quests or do crafting or whatever to find special bullets - incendiary, acidic, explosive, etc.

Fightmaster
2015-08-17, 12:44 PM
That sounds like something they'd absolutely love. I'd just need to pick effects/spells for the other types of bullets

Orbis Orboros
2015-08-17, 02:19 PM
Catapult by default does 3d8 Bludgeoning damage, plus 1d8 per spell level, so you can scale it easily to do more damage if you like.

The first few bullet types are easy - copy things like Alchemist's Fire from the printed material and refluff those as bullets. You could also do bullets that mimic spell effects.

Effects that occur to me:

Burning - Fire damage over time.
Acidic - Perhaps decent amount of acid damage now, same amount next turn?
Explosive - Examine the EE spell Ice knife and emulate it
Ice bullet - mimic the Entangle spell for a weak version or Hold Person for a stronger one. Do a Str save for Hold Person, though.
Penetrating rounds - continues through 1 Medium or smaller object rather than stopping ala Catapult spell
Holy Water Vials - Apply Holy Water from PHB upon impact
Oil Vials - Dispense oil from PHB, or alternatively the Grease spell in a 5 foot cube rather than normal AOE
Hallucinogens - Apply the Blind Condition, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, or Dissonant Whisper's rider effect upon a hit. I suggest randomly applying one of these each time. Maybe make a Scarecrow from Batman reference here.
Grapple Hook - Speaking of Batman. A piton with cord attached.
Flashbang - bright light causing con save or blinding in an AoE
Smoke Pellet - Heavily obscures a 5 foot cube
Scattershot - Changes from Catapult to 3d8 (or whatever) piercing damage on failed Dex saves in a 15 foot cone
Planar Anchor - if the target failed the save, the damage they take is piercing instead of bludgeoning, and until the "bullet" is removed, their physical form cannot leave the plane they are on.

Starsinger
2015-08-17, 05:10 PM
Alternatively, each chamber is attuned to a different damage type and the revolver casts Chromatic Orb (or a variant if you wanna tweak numbers around) per shot.

Greyfall
2015-08-22, 10:30 AM
Sounds like something a dwarf would make.

Atalas
2015-08-22, 11:14 AM
Sounds like something a dwarf would make.

Or a gnome. Or a collaboration!