PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into RPGs after a year, which one though?

KOVAV
2015-08-15, 12:14 AM
Hey, I havent played RPGs in a year, and I was thinking, since I'm so rusty with what I was doing before (mutants and masterminds, with like, a couple dnd 3.5 games) that I have a uniqe opportunity to objectively decide what game I should play. SO, most games online i've seen are either 3.5 or pathfinder, (which is pretty impressive, considering how old 3.5 is now) but im open to getting into 5e or something.

So, for someone who has zero nostolgia for, or grudges against any edition what should I get into?

ScrivenerofDoom
2015-08-15, 05:06 AM
What are you looking for in a game? The three most recent editions - Pathfinder, 4E, and 5E - are all quite different and are all good games depending on your specific interests/tastes and those of your players.

So, if you post what you're looking for in a game, I'm sure we can give you some good ideas.

Anonymouswizard
2015-08-15, 05:11 AM
I suggest Fate, because it is simple, and free. Also, really well put together.

Other than that, my list of suggestions is as broad as it can be, so do you have more specific requirements?

Cluedrew
2015-08-15, 07:36 AM
Take a moment to decide what you want to play before you pick a system.

For instance if you don't want to play a fantasy game, all of the D&D + Pathfinder options become much less viable. If you want to play a really quick rules light game then again many main stream options also become less appealing.

In fact I think your main three decisions before picking a system are (in no particular order):

Setting (Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Modern...)
Tone (Heroic, Gritty, Cinematic...)
Rules (Rules light - Rules Heavy)

If you can fill those in you should have a much better chance of getting a system you will enjoy.

KOVAV
2015-08-15, 11:28 AM
Thanks for replying guys! I realize now that it was foolish of me not to post more detials than I'm rusty and entering with an open mind. So, here's what I'm looking for;

1: Tis in the fantasy genre.

2: If possible, I would like the tone to be fairly GM flexible. my favorite games have always been heroic with a little grit and darkness put in to keep it from being polymorphed into cheese.

3: Rules light VS rules heavy wise, I dont like complication for its own sake, but if more rules corrospond with benifits (like a more balanced game, or cooler charecters, or something) than I'm all for it. Im a fan of lots of source material, but the overall qoulity of the game it more important.

Anonymouswizard
2015-08-16, 04:55 AM

Tis a broad genre, of all the games I own the ones that fit are:
AD&D 2e
D&D 3.5
D&D 4e
Ars Magical
Vampire: The Masquerade
Mage: the Ascension
Wraith: the Oblivion
Vampire: the Requiem
Scion
Shadowrun (possibly my favourite setting)

Ones I own that aren't:
Eclipse Phase
Dark Heresy
GURPS

So do you have a more specific flavour of fantasy you want?

2: If possible, I would like the tone to be fairly GM flexible. my favorite games have always been heroic with a little grit and darkness put in to keep it from being polymorphed into cheese.

This is hard, as tone is generally baked into assumptions, for example early D&D is about crafty scoundrels at low levels and big dam heroes at high levels, later D&D dropped the first part, while Ars Magical has a tone of 'academic disputes' in practice (no, I wanted that paper!). Your favourites seem to be what I like, so I'd suggest D&D or GURPS based on that.

3: Rules light VS rules heavy wise, I dont like complication for its own sake, but if more rules corrospond with benifits (like a more balanced game, or cooler charecters, or something) than I'm all for it. Im a fan of lots of source material, but the overall qoulity of the game it more important.

Key thing here is that older games will tend towards less balanced many rules while newer games tend towards better balance, but sometimes at a cost of rules.

TheOOB
2015-08-17, 05:22 PM
D&D 5e is easy to get into and flexible, I personally love it. Really though, you should ask yourself what kind of game you want to play, and pick the best system for that job. A campaign I'd run with Shadowrun I wouldn't run with Legend of the Five Rings, for example.

Knaight
2015-08-18, 12:02 PM
Thanks for replying guys! I realize now that it was foolish of me not to post more detials than I'm rusty and entering with an open mind. So, here's what I'm looking for;

You might like both the AGE system (it was originally made for a Dragon Age RPG, and is basically a lighter version of D&D with a bit lower power cap that hits heroic with a little grit and darkness to a T) and REIGN (which is just a really solid fantasy system which gets a huge amount of mileage out of its rules).

As for lots of source material, if you refer to having setting material available in particular then REIGN is really your game. It's got a fairly unique setting with some seriously cool ideas in it, and even if you don't like the setting as a whole you can pilfer the fun parts. It also has a bunch of online supplements that were released with a "ransom" model, which basically means that a bunch of people who were interested in them paid up for them to be made, but now they are free for everyone.

Eisenheim
2015-08-18, 01:04 PM
I'll come in and second fate. It's generic at a base, but there are a number of fantasy hacks available in varying levels of crunch, and most are pay what you want, and it's a great system that will reward you for learning its tricks and let make any game you want.

Lord Torath
2015-08-18, 01:22 PM
I'm going to recommend 2nd Ed AD&D. Because SPELLJAMMER! :smallamused:

dream
2015-08-18, 04:08 PM
D&D 5th should work for you. It's hot, rules-lite (compared to most previous editions), and finding a group should be easier.

Flickerdart
2015-08-18, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't dive straight into any game. Instead, try a bit of everything and see which one you like best. 5e has the least material of all the popular games, so it's a decent choice. If you decide that the characters are too unbalanced, fragile, or lack options in combat, try 4E. If you decide that the characters are samey and boring to build, or don't feel like they are actually getting more powerful over time, try 3.5 or Pathfinder. If you decide that 20 is too many sides on a die, try FATE or something.

Gamgee
2015-08-18, 05:39 PM
Numenera of course! Game is simple astounding.