PDA

View Full Version : The Gunslinger (PRC)

MisterSaturnine
2007-05-06, 09:25 PM
Just an idea I was toying with. Just recently got the DMG, and saw the Renaissance Weapons section, and...it gave birth to this. I'd love some suggestions for improvement. And I don't know how to make a table, so I'll just type it in the easiest-read alternative.

Prerequisites:

Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Focus (Pistol), Weapon Finesse
Skills: 8 ranks in Sleight of Hand
Special: Combat Style (Archery)

The Gunslinger
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Point Blank Shot, Improved Combat Style

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Far Shot

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Weapon Specialization

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Rapid Reload

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Dual Wield

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|Moving Target, Combat Style Mastery

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Greater Weapon Focus

8th|
+6/1|
+2|
+6|
+2|Quick Draw

9th|
+6/1|
+3|
+6|
+3|Greater Weapon Specialization

10th|
+7/2|
+3|
+7|
+3|Improved Critical, Tao of the Gun[/table]

1st Level (BAB: +0, Fort +0, Reflex +2, Will +0): Gets Point Blank Shot as a bonus feat and Improved Combat Style if not already taken (this is assuming the ranger who takes it goes into it at 5th level, but still gets those free feats that'll help with ranged combat).
2nd Level (BAB: +1, Fort +0, Reflex +3, Will +0): Gets Far Shot as a bonus feat.
3rd Level (BAB: +2, Fort +1, Reflex +2, Will +1): Gets Weapon Specialization with pistols, whether or not the character meets the requirements.
4th Level (BAB: +3, Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +1): Gets the special ability Rapid Reload. This allows the Gunslinger to make a DC 25 Sleight of Hand check. If he succeeds, he can reload his pistol as a move action instead of a standard action. This is one of those things I need info on--how long does it take to normally reload a renaissance pistol?
5th Level (BAB: +3, Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +1): Gets the special ability Dual Wield. This basically allows the Gunslinger to use Two-Weapon Fighting, but only with pistols, and treating both pistols as light weapons.
6th Level (BAB: +4, Fort +2, Reflex +5, Will +2): Gets the special ability Moving Target and Combat Style Mastery. Moving Target allows the Gunslinger to use Shot on the Run and Reload on the Run feats, but only if they apply for pistols.
7th Level (BAB: +5, Fort +2, Reflex +5, Will +2): Gets Greater Weapon Focus with pistols as a bonus feat, whether or not the character meets the requirements.
8th Level (BAB: +6/1, Fort +2, Reflex +6, Will +2): Gets the special ability Quick Draw. This allows the Gunslinger to take a DC 27 Sleight of Hand check. If successful, he can draw his pistol/s as swift action, instead of a standard action.
9th Level (BAB: +6/1, Fort +3, Reflex +6, Will +3): Gets the feat Greater Weapon Specialization for the pistol, whether or not the requirements are met.
10th Level (BAB: +7/1, Fort +3, Reflex +7, Will +3): Gets Improved Critical as a bonus feat, and the special ability Tao of the Gun. Tao of the Gun allows the Gunslinger to reload his gun as a swift action and draw it as an immediate action, and no longer forces him to roll a Sleight of Hand check to do so. Additionally, the penalty for dual wielding is lessened by 1 for both the offhand and the primary hand, and the Gunslinger can ignore the enemy's Dexterity bonus to armor class when attacking with a pistol.

Thoughts? It could definitely use some work...

jindra34
2007-05-06, 09:26 PM
Use a table! they have a pre-formatted one on the guide to homebrewing.

MisterSaturnine
2007-05-06, 09:32 PM
*groans. smacks head on forum.*

I'll keep the initial writing, for the descriptions (though they are vague. if someone asks me to extrapolate, I will).

GunMage
2007-05-06, 09:37 PM
Just to point this out, you can enter this class waaaay to early. It should take until level 5 at least. Also, you might want to take a look at the Iron kingdoms section of Privateer Press's website. They have some good rules for guns that use a craft:small arms check to reload a gun, and it takes one round anyways.

Also, those sleight of hand checks are gonna start hurting really quick when you're in the middle of combat and can't reload your weapon.

MisterSaturnine
2007-05-06, 09:43 PM
There we go! Table added. Whee.

MisterSaturnine
2007-05-06, 09:49 PM
Damn, typo. I was reading your post, GunMage, and was thinking, "What is he talking about?...I put 8 ranks in Sleight of Hand..."

Then I saw I didn't.

Oops.

And why no reloading in combat? Can't you use Sleight of Hand in combat?

And alright. So, one full round to reload a gun. Making that a move action, then, possibly, a swift action is...a tad overpowered. Maybe I'll change that to a standard action with Rapid Reload, and move with Tao of the Gun. Quick draw stays the same.

I dunno though. Would it really be overpowered to change reloading of a gun to a move action with Rapid Reload, then later a swift action?

Fixing Prereq typo, by the way.

Ceiling009
2007-05-07, 05:14 AM
in Iron Kingdoms, it's dependent on the gun, but most guns take a standard action to load; in modern it's the same, except for flintlock type which take two standard actions, and in the DMG it's one standard action to reload a pistol or a musket. So making Quick Load or rapid reload as a class ability for guns at level 5 is okay, and Tao of the gun should pretty much let you reload as a swift action. It's a class that probably pretty dependent on thier weapons, and think about how about it actually costs per bullet... so making it worth thier while to hit is good, but then think about the number of encounters or enemies per encounter? I think it's mostly fine as it is...

jlousivy
2007-05-07, 06:26 AM
8 feats in 10 levels, 10 if you were a ranger + special abilities.... might want to tone it down a bit.

MisterSaturnine
2007-05-07, 06:45 PM
A good point, jlous, but I feel so many of those points fit so well. Plus, that's kind of all they have--weapons, and feats to do more stuff with those weapons. They're a bit of a one-trick pony, so I figured that one trick might as well be pretty damn good.

Matthew
2007-05-15, 10:33 PM
I think this should be a Full BAB Class. I also wonder whether it wouldn't benefit from some 'improved' Gun rules.

Malroth
2007-05-16, 03:56 PM
I'd like it if there was a way for non rangers to qualify for this class