PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Wild shape and active spells

Ced
2015-08-15, 02:42 AM
Hello,

Suppose that I cast a spell like barksin on myself in my natural form and then I wild shape, is the spell still active when I'm in my animal form? I would say yes because yes but my DM says that all spells which target yourself are lost when you wild shape. I didn't see any rule concerning that (at least not in the "Alternate Form" ability). This is a fairly common scenario I guess, some people already had that case before.

Any tip?
Thanks.

Vrock_Summoner
2015-08-15, 02:51 AM
I would say yes because yes

Well, that's a really... Direct line of reasoning. :smallconfused:

You are right though. Any spells cast on you that would still be applicable to your animal form continue to affect you while Wild Shaping. If he needs a balance reason to accept this conclusion, point out to him that by that logic, an enemy's ongoing negative effects could be easily negated by any Druid simply via Wildshaping, and he probably doesn't want to let Druids have such an easy solution to enemy debuffs/ongoing damages/etc. in his game. I'll search for an actual rules quote, too, in case that's what he cares more about.

Ced
2015-08-15, 03:10 AM
Well, that's a really... Direct line of reasoning.

Humm, I don't know where I had my mind... I started to write a sentence and in the middle of it I edited it, so, this was not really what I intended to say :smallbiggrin:. Of course, it doesn't make sense...
Anyway, what I wanted to say is: "I would say yes because there is no specifical rule that says the active spells disappear while you wild shape". That's a bit less direct :smalltongue:.

Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Ced
2015-08-24, 01:35 PM
So, coming back to this question: my MD ruled that all active spells (even negative ones) which target my human form becomes inactive when I wild shape. They become active again when I change back to my human form. I don't really agree with this ruling but I'm going to get along his decision, since he is the MD. This also brings me a very easy way to get rid of nasty spell effects that target me...

His argument is that if you change the shape of a +1 sword into something else, the bonus is "lost" since the target is not the same anymore... Well this actually confused me more.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Is there anybody who agress with my MD?

Ellowryn
2015-08-24, 01:48 PM
Your DM is indeed incorrect on this one, and unfortunately you come out on the losing side of this houserule (you will get targeted by negative ongoing effects far more often then you have uses of wildshape). As you pointed out there is nothing in the polymorph spell line (of which alter self and therefore wild shape is a part of) that says you negate or suppress ongoing spell effects when used. To be honest you should just start your prep for combat in your desired shape and then go about as usual. And as you pointed out, just wildshape again in combat when hit by something nasty.

And on your other point a +1 weapon is always a +1 weapon regardless if it started out as a sword and then was changed into a club. There are certain weapon enchants that are specific to types of weapons (such as impact being bludgeoning only) but otherwise the base enchantment work across all weapons.

eggynack
2015-08-24, 02:04 PM
Anyway, what do you guys think? Is there anybody who agress with my MD?
No, he's ultra-wrong on all points. Fortunately wild shape lasts awhile, so just take natural spell and cast your buffs while in a central powerful form. I would advise sticking to casting, with a form like desmodu hunting bat, because you're not going to need to swap forms all that much in such a plan, and you don't need to cast combat oriented buffs on yourself at all. You might even gain benefit from this house rule with such a course of action, because while swapping away to get rid of a debuff might be painful in the form of lost buffs, that's an option that you just didn't have under the actual rule. Don't call upon the option often, but it might be necessary on occasion, and you'll be glad to have that power when that necessity comes up.