PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Identical Spells

NewbieDMaster
2015-08-15, 10:12 AM
Hi everyone!
I have a question about stacking spells in 5th edition... If one target is affected by the same spell multiple times, do the effects stack? Or is it impossible to affect them twice?

For example, if my Paladin casts Ensnaring strike, granting the bonus to himself and his mount, and they both hit the same target, could the target be affect by Ensnaring strike twice? Would they have to take two separate actions to escape? Would they take 2d6 damage/round? Or would only one of the spells work, as they do the same thing?

Example #2, if two Clerics cast Bane on the same target, does the target take -2d4 to attack rolls and saves? Or just -1d4? What about 2 castings of bless on the same ally?

Obviously, the issue of stacking was partially addressed in 5e by requiring concentration to keep a spell active, but I can't remember reading anywhere if multiple casters can stack the same concentrations spells...
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Playground!

Kryx
2015-08-15, 12:37 PM
They do not stack:

The effects of different spells add together while the durations of those spells overlap. The effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine, however. lnstead, the most potent effect-such as the highest bonus-from those castings applies while their durations overlap.
For example, if two clerics cast bless on the same target, that character gains the spell's benefit only once; he or she doesn't get to roll two bonus dice.

NewbieDMaster
2015-08-15, 12:49 PM
They do not stack:

Thank you for the clarification Kryx. I missed that passage. ^_^