PDA

View Full Version : multiclassing with multiple xp trackers

. Shadowblade .
2015-08-15, 12:04 PM
Hi,

anyone tried to use separate xp tracker for each (sub)class of multiclass character instead of shared xp tracker in rules?

eg. for Fighter 5 / Mage 5 / Rogue 4 hero:

Fighter 5 - 6,500 xp
Mage 5 - 6,500 xp
Rogue 4 - 2,700 xp

(according the rules: Fighter 5 / Mage 5 / Rogue 4 - 140,000 xp)

pwykersotz
2015-08-15, 12:13 PM
If you used that system, it would be extremely beneficial to multiclass as much as possible, since assumedly you'd be able to get to level 20 of each, and five first levels would be...what, 1500xp? You get increased HP, proficiency, and a suite of class features including a vastly expanded multiclass spellcasting table.

It would be tough to implement in a way that didn't break the game.

DivisibleByZero
2015-08-15, 12:23 PM

2e arguably did it just fine.
In that edition, you could *only* use the abilities from your current class until such time as that level exceeded your previous class' level (I'd do away with this part). You gained no HP or any other level dependent benefit other than class abilities until that time either (I'd keep this part).

So if you started as a fighter and went to 3rd level, then Dual Classed (that's what it was called at the time) to Mage, you'd have to get to 4th level as a Mage before you got any more HP and stuff (which I would keep as a rule), and if you used any of your fighter abilities AT ALL you'd gain zero XP for the session (which I would discard as a rule).

. Shadowblade .
2015-08-15, 12:54 PM
five first levels would be...what, 1500xp?

sure, there would be needed some extra charge for the first level of new class, but some reasonable fixed value, instead of 300 - 50,000 xp in rulebook.
I dont think that many heroes meet the min. stat requirements for five classes at once :smallsmile:

napoleon_in_rag
2015-08-16, 05:42 PM
In that edition, you could *only* use the abilities from your current class until such time as that level exceeded your previous class' level (I'd do away with this part). You gained no HP or any other level dependent benefit other than class abilities until that time either (I'd keep this part).

So if you started as a fighter and went to 3rd level, then Dual Classed (that's what it was called at the time) to Mage, you'd have to get to 4th level as a Mage before you got any more HP and stuff (which I would keep as a rule), and if you used any of your fighter abilities AT ALL you'd gain zero XP for the session (which I would discard as a rule).

However, in 2e demi humans could multiclass and started with all classes. So you started the game as a Half Elf Fighter/ Thief/ Mage. But hou had to divy all your XP up. It created a burden for the DM. I usually found that Thief leveled pretty quickly but other classes (especially mage) took so long to level that it wan't worthwhile. Unless your DM was very free with XP for role playing.

TheOOB
2015-08-17, 08:17 PM

Dual classing and multiclassing were completely different things, dual classing was completely broken.

Mellack
2015-08-17, 08:44 PM
So if I read this right, you could be a Fighter 4/ Barbarian 4/ Paladin 4/ Bard 4/ Sorcerer 4/ Warlock 4 while a single classed character would be only level 6? Oh, and that gets you six ASI while others have only gotten one. Or maybe you prefer a Cleric/Druid/Monk/Ranger/Rogue/Fighter.

Malifice
2015-08-17, 08:59 PM
Hi,

anyone tried to use separate xp tracker for each (sub)class of multiclass character instead of shared xp tracker in rules?

Fighter 5 - 6,500 xp
Mage 5 - 6,500 xp
Rogue 4 - 2,700 xp

A 14th level character with 15,700 xp?

Do you really need me to say why this is broken?

:smalleek:

MaxWilson
2015-08-17, 09:09 PM
Hi,

Fighter 5 - 6,500 xp
Mage 5 - 6,500 xp
Rogue 4 - 2,700 xp

I had a DM who did that for a while. (One modification: you didn't get ASIs from both classes, and you didn't double your proficiency bonus.) It was crazy overpowered. The reason it worked in AD&D was because of the shape of the XP table--after 9th level it flattened out instead of staying exponential. But in 5E, the table never flattens out, so it's just plain overpowered, to the point where it's hard to imagine ever not doing it. A Druid 11/Warlock 11 is just plain better than a Druid 15.

ImSAMazing
2015-08-19, 03:52 AM
This would be really OP. A caster could get 9th level spell slots with almost no xp compared to how many xp a lvl 17 character needs.

WickerNipple
2015-08-19, 07:40 AM
This would be really OP. A caster could get 9th level spell slots with almost no xp compared to how many xp a lvl 17 character needs.

Heh it's shocking how fast you could get 8th lvl spell slots via this system. Getting 3rd level in Bard/Druid/Wizard/Sorcerer/Cleric would only be 4500 xp.

That's not even a 5th lvl single class char. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

MaxWilson
2015-08-19, 11:22 AM
Heh it's shocking how fast you could get 8th lvl spell slots via this system. Getting 3rd level in Bard/Druid/Wizard/Sorcerer/Cleric would only be 4500 xp.

That's not even a 5th lvl single class char. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Presumably since you're not using the 5E multiclassing rules, you wouldn't use the 5E multiclassing rules for spell slots either. You'd track all of your spell slots separately on a per-class basis instead of combining them. More spells, but weaker. That's what my DM did, but it was still OP.

Citan
2015-08-21, 07:00 AM
Hi,

Fighter 5 - 6,500 xp
Mage 5 - 6,500 xp
Rogue 4 - 2,700 xp

Well, it's so even broken that I don't know how anyone could even consider this for a normal campaign. XD

With that said, it could make for a very fun and crazy one-shot if you built the campaign around the concept.
Such as...

"You're a 6-party person who are gonna bust an Ancient Dragon's nest. You'll also fight Demi-liches, Beholder and such on a regular basis, as well as groups of > CR 10 monsters.
I allocate 200 000 XP to each of you. Make your builds as you wish. Note that...
- You cannot pool all your spellcasting ability, track spells and spell slots for each class separately.
- Also, for ASI and Feats, cumulate all the levels in all your class. You have one ASI/Feat for every 5 levels.
Try the most cheesy builds as you like, because you'll need it. :)"

That would require a lot of work to prepare, but could lead to epic battles. ^^

UXLZ
2015-08-21, 07:05 AM
I feel like DnD tends to get less "epic" at higher power levels. It gets more epic from about level 1 'till 13, and from then on hit points and damage bloat just get bigger and bigger.

Grimstaff
2015-08-21, 07:59 AM
Hi,

Fighter 5 - 6,500 xp
Mage 5 - 6,500 xp
Rogue 4 - 2,700 xp

While your example is clearly overpowered, I did play in on online game in which the DM used 1E-style multi-classing (I played a Fighter/Abjurer).

- xp is split evenly between the classes
- at level up, hp is rolled for both classes and divided in half
- one save prof from each class is picked
- all class abilities are gained as normal
- stat bumps / feats are gained according to most favorable class (Fighter in my case) not both
- skills as most favorable class
- weapon/armor as most favorable class
- etc

So for instance, when the party was at 1000xp (3rd lvl), my F/A was at 500/500xp (2/2 lvl). He lagged behind a bit in level (this gap increases as you go, I think max is 15-16th lvl when single class characters hit 20), but I enjoyed the increased versatility without seeming overpowered.

ETA: I should add that with this system, the multi-class is "fixed", there's no dipping in other classes, or stopping advancing in 1 class, your ranger/druid stays that way for the life of the character for example, so you want to make sure it's two classes you're happy with lol.