PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cantrip Caster & Reality Warper~ a Sorcerer (Magus?) Archetype; Help Requested!

wingnut2292
2015-08-15, 01:05 PM
Hello! For a while I've had the idea of a Sorcerer-variants that I wanted to share and refine.

The fist is a Sorc. who specializes in casting cantrips and low level spells. Partly because I like the idea of casting unlimited number of spells, and partly because the low level spells are just plain useful. A well timed grease, sleep or charm person is worth a meteor swarm in my book. The flavor of the Sorcerer being a genuine wild mage who's repertoire is variations of his first spell is appealing. The the cantrip caster, a late career fireball (acquired about the same time the thief is doing 10d6 in backstab damage) is just the same as prestidigitation...just more explosive.

The second variation is a reality warper - the only spell the character knows is limited wish. Now since limited wish is a... off the top a 7th level spell, the character is either miscasting (with random mishaps) or undercasting (with greater limitations) the spell.

The big question was how go go about it.

The low level spells are fun, but are either capped (e.g sleep) or loses effectiveness over time. So s in the fashion of Alchemist discoveries I was thinking that the Cantrip Caster would have Epiphanies as permanent upgrades for his spells. I really have no idea what his spell ought to be outside of utility spells primary, buff/debuff secondary, save or suck secondary and damage spells tertiary. (The character has ray of frost and acid orb, with magic missile, burning hands and shocking grasp not far behind. With some small tweaks the Catnip Caster can use these spells at weapons in a full-attack and not break the system. Perfectly comparable to a burnless Kineticist.) I generally want cantrip caster to be able to cast a selection of 0 to 2nd level spells at will at 20th level, with a small selection of 3rd and 4th spells as a capstone. The character's niche is supposed to be a Swiss-army knife task-solving character (think unseen servant, mass mount, daylight...) but not a make problems moot character (teleport, polymorph, flooding a dungeon so that everything not ooze, construct or undead dies, etc)

As for the reality warper... give him "imperfect limited wish" (2 + 1/2 class-level + Cha bonus) a day with the limitation that he can not imitate any spell above half his class-level minus one? And a "wild-wish" also equal to 2 + class-level + Cha bonus, but also forces a roll on the wild magic table in place of spells? This is largely just for flavor and simplified bookkeeping?

My ideas are probably horrible. Don't mind me, I'm just brainstorming. I realize I am most likely breaking the game right now. In any case, any feedback would be wonderful.