PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Monster races as player races.

Reprimand
2015-08-15, 07:23 PM
In 3.5 I think the general rule was CR+1 = LA.

Is there anyway to ballpark a monster race as a player race without breaking out advanced races guide?

Venico
2015-08-15, 07:46 PM
Yep, it's just their CR. Paizo really simplified it.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/monstersAsPCs.html

Sayt
2015-08-15, 07:52 PM
In pathfinder, you take level as CR. Every three levels you advance, you get a 'Freebie' level to catch up as RHD are generally not as good as class features. You want to use Appendix 4 in the back of the bestiary for guidelines, and it's all subject to DM discretion of course.

Reprimand
2015-08-15, 10:02 PM
so for example cr 7 succubus gets 2 freebie levels? are they class levels or levels I don't have to pay for in la or what.

grarrrg
2015-08-15, 10:13 PM
so for example cr 7 succubus gets 2 freebie levels? are they class levels or levels I don't have to pay for in la or what.

Go read the link Venico posted for full explanation.

To put it in 3.5 terms (because LA does not exist in PF):
The CR is the Effective Character Level.
Half of the CR (rounded up) is effectively "RHD", and cannot be reduced.
The other half of the CR (rounded down) is LA, and is automatically 'bought off' 1 at a time for every 3 levels the group gains.

Do keep in mind that any given monster is subject to DM approval, because some abilities that are fine for monsters to have are insanely powerful/abuse-able in the hands of a PC.

Assuming a Succubus is approved, it would count as at least a 7th level character to start with, as it has CR 7.
In a mixed party of "regular" and "monster" PCS use the following:
(if it's a party made entirely of Monster PC's, disregard the following)
For every 3 levels the party gains, you get an extra level to "catch up", because RHD are generally poor.
So the Succubus group would start at level 7. When the group reaches level 10, the Succubus should be at level 11 (CR 7+4)
When group reaches level 13 Succubus should be effectively level 15 (CR 7+8).
When group reaches level 16 Succubus should be effectively level 19 (CR 7+12).
From this point on the Succubus does not gain any more bonus levels, as you have reached half of the original CR amount.

Milo v3
2015-08-15, 11:36 PM
The other half of the CR (rounded down) is LA, and is automatically 'bought off' 1 at a time for every 3 levels the group gains.

I feel that this is a bad description since some of that is RHD as well, and it isn't lost, since that would reduce your health and saves and BaB.

grarrrg
2015-08-16, 01:12 AM
I feel that this is a bad description since some of that is RHD as well, and it isn't lost, since that would reduce your health and saves and BaB.

Trying to shoehorn PF's ruling into 3.5 wording isn't going to line up perfectly, and is going to be confusing as a lot of the terms are the same, although used slightly different.
Edited previous post to adjust that instance of "RHD" to now say "effectively 'RHD'".