PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Alternate Form Human

CapnRegex
2007-05-06, 11:30 PM
I would like to design a Ring ( or other worn item ) of Alternate Form Human.
The idea is when a non-human creature wears the item, it changes into a human as if via the "Alternate Form" supernatural ability. They would retain as many of their unique characteristics as feasible to give them a human form distinctive to them individually. ( minor changes from other humanoid races for example, would leave the individual still be recognizable as themselves. )
The person wearing the item would be locked into the human form until the magic item was removed. ( suspending, or inhibiting any other shape changing magic or abilities )

I am debating on if this would cure, or simply alleviate the symtoms of being turned into a frog for example, my inclination is to have it simply alleviate the symptoms. ( they would go back to being a frog after removing the ring )

I am also thinking that a creature who could normally shape change would not be able to do so until the ring is removed.

I am trying to figure out what the market value of such an item would be, as well as it's relative bonus level.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-06, 11:32 PM
Rings don't have relative bonus levels. I'd help with the rest, but I'm tired and should probably get to bed...

Jack_Simth
2007-05-06, 11:46 PM
Power-wise?

You have a new, alternate form that is unique to you. It gives you some quick-change abilities, but isn't overly useful for a disguise; it's one fixed alter-ego. Other than the Will Disbelief DC 11 bit, a Hat of Disguise is stronger.

The big mechanics thing would be protection from things like Baelful Polymorph - but that is of fairly limited utility.

The biggest use is social - sitting in on a state dinner, getting into size/race-restricted areas, moving comfortably among the populace, et cetera. Put it on the Druid's animal companion, and you've got a barbarian that isn't talkative rather than a big ape. Put it on an ogre, and you've got another non-talkative barbarian. Either can then be sent through a city without causing too much fuss - assuming both behave. The functionality here is entirely campaign dependant.

I'd eyeball it at about 5k, more or less depending on the campaign.

knightsaline
2007-05-07, 01:48 AM
call it the Full Moon Canceler. put it on a lycanthrope and they can't transform during the full moon. that or it gives a bonus to Control Shape checks

Reinboom
2007-05-07, 07:39 AM
What a rather interesting item.
You may wish to make a list of them, for various humanoid forms, and build a craft check that allows you to choose the final form when you are done crafting it.
I would also make it 'cure' symptoms of forced polymorph effects, make it the last (and the most empowering) altering form ability, and then allowing multiple rings on at once to make half-breed forms.
Only suggestions though.

Zeta Kai
2007-05-07, 10:25 AM
How big of a creature can you put it on. If it scales to Colossal, I have a great new way to deal with a Tarrasque.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-07, 10:41 AM
How big of a creature can you put it on. If it scales to Colossal, I have a great new way to deal with a Tarrasque.

Magical jewelry resizes to its wearer.

Zeta Kai
2007-05-07, 10:48 AM
That is correct. I just looked it up, too. Well, my pet Tarrasque will have an interesting day indeed. So will the poor city of New Zinzel.

*cackles maniacally*

sigurd
2007-05-07, 11:01 AM
Belt of Human Form

This strange belt is made of a fine tanned leather. It radiates medium transmutation magic if unattended but only faint magic on its wearer.

If a humanoid\monstrous humanoid (Must have Int 5+) ties on this belt they transform into the shape of a human. They appear as a human of the same gender. The item does not resize clothing or equipment. Their voice becomes human but they retain their ability scores and languages known. They loose the use of all extra physical attacks & abilities ie Improved bite, wings etc....

While in this assumed form they do not heal naturally although they may be healed by potions. Healing spells and scrolls used upon the wearer grant a dc18 spot check to discover that something is amiss. Furthermore they cannot be submerged in water or the knot loosens and pulls free ending the spell.
Requires a belt made from the tanned skin of a human, DC 12 craft Leather. Cost 8,000 gp CL 6, Alternate Form.

Tor the Fallen
2007-05-07, 11:05 AM
You have a new, alternate form that is unique to you. It gives you some quick-change abilities, but isn't overly useful for a disguise; it's one fixed alter-ego. Other than the Will Disbelief DC 11 bit, a Hat of Disguise is stronger.

Unless you're a dragon, toad, thri-kreen, outsider, troll, or any one of a nigh infinite list of things that don't fit in well with polite society or xenophobes.

I imagine certain intelligent, though handless, creatures would find great utility in an item that let them overcome their lack of digits.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-07, 11:10 AM
I imagine certain intelligent, though handless, creatures would find great utility in an item that let them overcome their lack of digits.

Like, say, a Grick or Thoqqua?

sigurd
2007-05-07, 11:31 AM
Alter Form does not allow the subject to change type or modify their size by more than one increment. A humanoid must stay a humanoid. Even if you loosen the requirements a bit to allow monstrous humanoids to become Humans (Real potential for mayhem) I don't think you can stretch it so that things naturally without hands get them.

I might be able to see this used as a prosthesis if it grants a replacement arm\leg to someone who has lost one.

Sigurd

CapnRegex
2007-05-07, 06:27 PM
I was in fact wanting to use this item for a dragon to appear as a human.
I did not however want it to be overly powerful.

I was thinking that essentially the transformation would function like the supernatural ability of a were creature, or a gold or bronze dragon, with the specific limitation of having it shift whatever creature that is wearing it into a human form. I'm also not stuck on having it it be a ring, as the concept would function as well as various other worn items.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm

In truth.. conceptually, looking at the manner of transformation, ( and not the disease aspect) a Were-Human would not be too far off, with the exception that the transformation would be determined by the wearing of the item.

Flying Elephant
2007-05-07, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=sigurd;2551812]Belt of Human Form
... (Must have Int 5+)...[QUOTE]
What?! My Orc can't look human?:smalltongue:

Jack_Simth
2007-05-07, 06:37 PM
Unless you're a dragon, toad, thri-kreen, outsider, troll, or any one of a nigh infinite list of things that don't fit in well with polite society or xenophobes.

Which is, interestingly enough, something I addressed in the same post you half-quoted.

CapnRegex
2007-05-08, 07:10 PM
Alter Form does not allow the subject to change type or modify their size by more than one increment. A humanoid must stay a humanoid. Even if you loosen the requirements a bit to allow monstrous humanoids to become Humans (Real potential for mayhem) I don't think you can stretch it so that things naturally without hands get them.
Are you referring to the Supernatural ability? If so, how do you account for the metallic dragons, and lycanthropes who use the supernatural ability to change between animal/monster and human forms?

I might be able to see this used as a prosthesis if it grants a replacement arm\leg to someone who has lost one.
The way I have been thinking of this, if they were missing a part in one form, they would still be missing that same part in the other form, so long as the part should exist in both forms.
So, if a goblin was missing part of it's ear in it's natural form, then it would still be missing that part of it's ear in human form.
The exception would be for those creatures that didn't have the part to begin with.. Say a Beholder.. assuming they have all the bits they are supposed to have as a beholder, they would have all he human bits when they became human.