PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Teen drama threats

Stake A Vamp
2015-08-15, 08:48 PM
so, a bit of a prefix, im running a game of supernatural teen drama, and I know my players well enough to know that PvP won't really be enough to fill the game, so im designing antagonists to divide and threaten them

I'm looking for threats/ menaces for my group, it consists of a fae (fickle, promise oriented fairy), a vampire (just what it says on the tin), a queen (the ambiguosly supernatural leader of the biggest, most popular gang/clique in school) , and an as-of-yet undecided fourth player (who I know well enough to know she almost certainly won't play the chosen (masochistic, darkness obsessed monster hunter) or mortal (codependant muggle who is in to deep), i kinda expect the infernal (Black magician with a demonic patron, who s/he is indebted to), ghoul( came back wrong), or witch (see vampire))

so far, i have one menace kinda set out, with two threats

The hunters (Abigail, Joseph, Christopher, and Monica)
A group of students who have banded together under the tutelage of Mr. Silas to try to destroy the supernatural. (yeah, they've watched too much buffy)
Craving: Notoriety (lash out and provoke reaction)
Offering: Inclusion (show them what they’re missing)
Capacity: Sudden Violence (outright kill someone they love)

Mr. Silas
The schools world history teacher, who is moonlighting as a monster hunter, and has begun systematically hunting down the supernatural elements of the town
Craving: Transcendence (enlist others to do unethical bidding)
Offering: Support (save their skin at a vital moment) or Power (shower them with outlandish gifts)
Capacity: Cold Betrayal (turn their friends against them)

are there any other good menaces to include, I thought that a group of monster hunters would make a good threat (historical footnote, they're actually a former group from a game of MotW, sans the summoned, as he didn't really fit) but I'm trying to think of threats specifically for the queen and fae.

Studoku
2015-08-16, 07:57 AM
Am I right in thinking Silas is going to betray them as part of his own schemes?

Stake A Vamp
2015-08-16, 09:22 AM
Am I right in thinking Silas is going to betray them as part of his own schemes?

welll....

I don't know, it all depends on how the players interact with these threats. and if i get bored with them (After all, I'm supposed to Treat my NPC's like stolen cars):smallamused:

goto124
2015-08-16, 09:28 AM
I know my players well enough to know that PvP won't really be enough to fill the game, so im designing antagonists to divide and threaten them

... your game has PvP? And the antagonists are there to encourage PvP?

Is this Monsterhearts?

Stake A Vamp
2015-08-16, 09:36 AM
... your game has PvP? And the antagonists are there to encourage PvP?

Is this Monsterhearts?

how did you know? (besided the supernatural teen drama)

and yes, the antagonists purpose it to divide the PC's and turn them on eachother, not threaten and unify them.

TheThan
2015-08-16, 09:58 AM
providing the obvious high school stereotypes:

Name: TBD
Role: The school’s nurse
Cravings: knowledge (wishes to experiment on the “interesting” subjects of the school to learn more about them)
Offering: Healing and character power ups (is happy to give them healing potions (medication) and bandage up wounds… for a price)
Capacity: switch old abilities out with new ones (as she experiments on her subjects, she learns how to alter and change them, manipulating their abilities)

role:Biff Tannen
role: The school bully
Craving: power over people (hassle and bully characters, take their lunch money, terrorize them, you get the idea)
Offering: a minion (biff isn’t smart, and his aggression can be directed if one is charismatic or sneaky enough to point his wrath in the right direction).
Capacity: powerful fighter (biff is a formidable fighter, able to wreck entire groups by himself.)

[edit:]
typing comprehension.

Red Fel
2015-08-16, 10:23 AM
Interesting. Well, let's get all school structure up in here:

Name: Principal Martin
Role: Principal, Headmaster, The Man
Craving: Order, authority, obedience. Principal Martin wants a school with orderly, obedient students, clean hallways, and followed schedules.
Offering: Status. Those who are on Principal Martin's good side enjoy flexibility in their class schedules, positions on student council or hallway patrol, and even access to free period options.
Capacity: Status. Principal Martin can ruin a person's academic or social standing with a word. He controls suspensions, expulsions, and calling home to talk to your parents.

Alternative Option:
Name: Principal Martin, aka Marutel
Role: Principal, Demon
Craving: Suffering. Marutel has created an environment perfectly conducive to the suffering and trauma of the weak and vulnerable. Everything he does will be in pursuit of that aim.
Offering: Status. Those who assist Marutel are rewarded. He isn't above nepotism.
Capacity: Emotional Torture. Marutel has a substantial capacity for causing strife, grief, humiliation and anguish, and employs it freely.

Name: Mrs. Kensington
Role: Head of the PTA
Craving: Respect, authority. Mrs. Kensington is not a happy woman, and vents her frustrations by attempting to control the school faculty and student body. She quickly takes a fondness to anyone who shows her the deference to which she feels entitled.
Offering: Influence. The PTA is able to Get Things Done in school, due to Mrs. Kensington's influence over faculty decisions.
Capacity: Diversion. Although not powerful in her own right, the PTA's involvement can derail almost any plan.

Ralanr
2015-08-16, 10:53 AM
Mr. Silas sounds like a more competent version of the teacher from American Dragon: Jake Long.

Stake A Vamp
2015-08-16, 10:56 AM
Mr. Silas sounds like a more competent version of the teacher from American Dragon: Jake Long.

never saw that, a bit after my time. could i get a brief description (if it seems relevant and helpful)

sakuuya
2015-08-16, 12:20 PM
On a different note, if you're worried about having enough people for your PCs to bounce off of to create conflict, make sure you do the seating chart (as per p. 136) at the start of your first session. If you ask good leading questions, the players will create their own NPC conflicts, which allows you to plan a little less and may even give you some ideas about what kind of stuff they're interested in for the game.

Ralanr
2015-08-16, 02:02 PM
never saw that, a bit after my time. could i get a brief description (if it seems relevant and helpful)

It probably isn't. It's just a teacher who knew about the mythological happenings of the world and was obsessed with proving it. Only for his incompetence to make him a mockery among the scientific community.

Thus he's forced to teach public highschool mythology.