PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a word: leaving alone-ness?

danzibr
2015-08-16, 01:40 PM
There may be no such word, at least in English. I've done lots of thesaurus diving to no avail.

Basically, imagine two people really don't like each other. The only there can be peace is if they leave each other alone. I want to say

"Peace contingent upon mutual leaving alone-ness."

But... it'd be nice to swap out leaving alone-ness for something which doesn't sound quite so silly.

Thanks!

draeath
2015-08-16, 02:02 PM
Ugh! There's a term for this, but now that I see the question it's gone from my head as well!

You may be able to abuse dissociation, but it might be a stretch.

I'll leave you with that, but if it comes to me, I'll try to return.

EDIT: i'm finding hits using that word when talking about national relationships and related politics, for example the actions of a leader being considered disassociated with the nation itself. I think you can probably use this word, though I've not seen it used much outside of technical descriptions or psychology stuff.

Jormengand
2015-08-16, 02:25 PM
Noninterference or nonintervention?

Mx.Silver
2015-08-16, 10:41 PM
'Avoidance' or 'non-interaction'.

Zrak
2015-08-17, 12:21 AM
I'd go with "avoidance." You could maybe get away with "eschewal," if you want a connotation of avoiding-for-a-reason, but "eschew" doesn't usually doesn't take people as objects and the noun form is rarely used. If you are willing to rephrase, you have some other options that might get closer to the meaning you want, like "shun" or "shunning," which carries the connotation of disdain mentioned in the OP but doesn't really work as a noun. "Mutual shunning" could work with the current phrasing, I suppose. I think it sounds pretty goofy, but it wouldn't be the worst stylistic choice I'd ever read by any means.

Fragenstein
2015-08-17, 06:31 AM
Peace contingent upon mutual dismissal.

As per the second accepted definition: "the act of treating something as unworthy of serious consideration; rejection" (the government's dismissal of the report)

danzibr
2015-08-17, 06:44 AM
Thanks all!

Good suggestions. I'm going to go with avoidance. It doesn't have the exact nuance I was going for, but it fits quite well.

Telonius
2015-08-19, 06:35 PM
Not a word, but a quote: "Good fences make good neighbors."

The closest I could come to that in a single word would probably be "estrangement."

Bulldog Psion
2015-08-20, 12:25 PM
Noninterference?

Closet_Skeleton
2015-08-20, 02:03 PM
Basically, imagine two people really don't like each other. The only there can be peace is if they leave each other alone. I want to say

"Peace contingent upon mutual _________."

But... it'd be nice to swap out leaving alone-ness for something which doesn't sound quite so silly.

"Separation" makes most sense in that sentence.

But I think the word you want is 'estrangement'.

Scarlet Knight
2015-08-21, 08:17 AM
Mutual avoidance or mutual isolation.

I have the image of two planets orbiting one sun but always apart.

Kalmageddon
2015-08-21, 11:54 AM
I'd go with avoidance.

Havelocke
2015-08-21, 04:29 PM
Eschewal or mutual shunning might work here. Either one is pretty much a willful avoidance of each other (Eschewal) where as the act is shunning (verb).