PDA

View Full Version : There was a Boy Who Spoke to Fairies

Jack Mann
2007-05-07, 03:50 AM
Once, there was a boy who spoke to fairies, and ruled a land of fire-breathing dragons and mysterious trolls.

Once, there was a girl who traveled the stars in a ship of her own design, meeting aliens and robots on the edge of space.

Once, there was a boy who had an uncle who had done anything you could think of.

Once, there was a girl who build a time machine and visited dinosaurs and the children of the future.

And that was just another day on Fifth Street.

Another Day on Fifth Street is the name of the comic strip I've been developing. It's about the adventures four children have as they play together. It's about the worlds we created when we were kids. It's a kid's comic, but it's not a simple story, and it doesn't talk down to the reader. It's something adults can read with the same satisfaction, and hopefully with the bittersweet memories of their own childhood returning.

I've gotten the characters written out, and I've written up some early scripts. But I can't go much further without an artist.

I can't guarantee any money will come from this. Money isn't really the point for me. But if there are any profits down the line, I'll be glad to share them. If any of this interests you, please contact me, and we'll see if we can work together.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-05-07, 06:14 AM
What sort of art are you going for, and how often/how long will the strips be?

-The Djinn

Dr. Bath
2007-05-07, 07:44 AM
This does sound interesting. But it depends what style you're looking for

Jack Mann
2007-05-07, 01:45 PM
I would like a clean looking style. Realistic would be nice, but it's all right if it's stylized instead. I'd prefer to avoid having it look too cartoony. It's going to be a humorous strip at times, but it's not a gag comic. I think my ideal would be the style Aaron Williams uses for his comics, but I think most styles can serve here fairly well.

As for how often and how long, that depends largely on what the artist feels comfortable doing. The longer between updates, though, and the longer the comics should be. Once a week is too infrequent for a four-panel, for example, but would be fine for five days a week. I've written the strips at about six panels, with three days a week in mind, but a full page at once a week is an option too.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-05-07, 01:53 PM
In that case the Djinn is probably not your man, since the most realistic he can manage at the moment (while still having it look good) is stuff like these:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/Djinn_in_Tonic/g4612.png

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/Gideon_Gideonson/Inaya.png

And both require large amounts of time.

So, sadly, the Djinn is forced to admit he probably can't help with this one.

-The Djinn

Dr. Bath
2007-05-07, 02:02 PM
Could you put up a script, just to see what kind of things you'd want drawn.

I can't really do colour much at the moment nad this is about as realistic as i get.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/solarturtle/Madham2.png

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-05-07, 06:32 PM
Actually, depending on how long each strip can take, and how much backgroud detail you want...the Djinn has found that by using an actual picture as a base for the pose, he can do somewhat decent realistic sketches:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/Djinn_in_Tonic/JoeWood.png

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/Djinn_in_Tonic/JoeWoodcolor.png

It does take him a considerable while though. Quite a while.

-The Djinn

Jack Mann
2007-05-08, 11:05 AM
It doesn't need to be in color, and that style looks all right, Dr. If nothing else, perhaps we can find someone else to color it down the line.

Here's a script. It's actually the fourth page, but it's the best for a sample of what the comic would be like.

Dramatis Personae
Sammy: A somewhat shy, skinny black boy, about eight years old. He's was made a duke by the fairy king, and was given a troll bodyguard, named Vinnie. His grandmother makes the best sammiches in the world.

Vinnie the Fang: Vinnie is a troll. He's about the same height as Sammy, but a bit rounder shaped, and covered in fur. He wears a bowler hat and a pair of shorts, much patched and worn. He has two short horns and a long, tufted tail. A somewhat disreputable figure.

Maria: A hispanic girl, about the same age as Sammy. She's a bit shorter than he is, and a bit plump. She typically wears a shirt with a rocketship on it. She built her own spaceship in her backyard. She's fairly bossy.

Juanita: 'Nita is Maria's fraternal twin sister. She's a bit taller and thinner than her sister, and is more of a tom boy. She wears a khaki vest over a t-shirt with a dinosaur over it. She built a time machine.

There are a few other characters, but these are the ones that appear in this specific strip.

Page Four
Panel One: Sammy and Vinnie are walking along in a suburban neighborhood, talking to each other.

Vinnie: "So there I was, fightin' with this billy goat, when Chollie says to me..."

Panel Two: Sammy looks concerned.

Sammy: "Should you be out here, Vinnie? Someone might see you."

Panel Three: Vinnie looks a little annoyed.

Vinnie: "You kiddin'? I'm yer bodyguard. I can't do dat if I'm hidin' in a hole all day."

Panel Four: Sammy's expression turns argumentative.

Sammy: "But if someone sees you, won't you get in trouble with the fairy king?"

Panel Five: Vinnie smirks, adjusting his bowler.

Vinnie: "There ain't nobody around. This nose o' mine is foolproof."

Panel Six: 'Nita and Maria run towards them.

'Nita: "Sammy! Vinnie! There you are!"

Vinnie: "Okay, almost foolproof."

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-05-08, 11:28 AM
Well, color-wise, how realistic and shaded do you want it? Cause if Dr. Bath isn't up to coloring, the Djinn definitely has time for that.

-The Djinn

Jack Mann
2007-05-08, 11:43 AM
Again, a nice clean, crisp look is valued beyond fancy shading. Flat colors like your Joe Wood picture wouldn't be out of place, I don't think.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-05-08, 11:47 AM
In that case, if you need someone to color it and Dr. Bath doesn't have the time, the Djinn can do that for ya.

-The Djinn

Dr. Bath
2007-05-11, 12:29 PM
First sketch of Vinnie and Sammy
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/solarturtle/Things2.jpg

I can't find a rubber at the moment so it still has all the pencil lines

Jack Mann
2007-05-11, 02:36 PM
Looks great, Doc! The only change I'd like is if you could make Vinnie a bit smaller, perhaps even a bit shorter than Sammy.

Jack Mann
2007-05-23, 06:16 PM
How's it going, Doc?

Dr. Bath
2007-05-24, 03:25 AM
Sorry! At the moment I have my GCSEs so I don't have that much time. I also don't feel that I'm quite good enough to convey all emotions with my drawings.

I suggest either finding someone else or waiting for about two months until I'm freed up a bit