PDA

View Full Version : ways to improve SR penetration

lhilas
2015-08-17, 10:18 AM
Hey there, I'm playing a cleric of wee jas and recently my DM decided to have us face many creatures that have high SR.
Since I'm a cleric with 10 str who focuses on attack spells I am extremely annoyed by this fact.
Is there any feat/magic item/spell that can help me overcome their SR?
I already know about assay spell resistance (lvl 4 spell from spell compendium ) and the spell penetration feats (which kinda suck)...

Xervous
2015-08-17, 11:20 AM
I'm curious what sort of 'attack' spells you are utilizing. Cleric isn't renown for its offensive spells, that's generally the area of expertise for certain variants of wizard and sorcerer who have access to lots of SR: No spells.

Nifft
2015-08-17, 11:22 AM
Wee Jas Cleric, who wants some ways to lay the hurt on monsters which ignore SR?

Crusader 1 / Ruby Knight Vindicator 10

Power Word: Sword.

lhilas
2015-08-17, 11:31 AM
Well I use spells such as slimewave, greater harm, destruction, holy word, doomtide, poison (which by the way has a surprisingly high save), plane shift and all sorts of enchanted shenenigans (using the domination domain).
But all of those require me to beat the damned monsters SR...:(
And no I don't want to open a melee cleric, maybe in further games...

Rubik
2015-08-17, 11:39 AM
Well I use spells such as slimewave, greater harm, destruction, holy word, doomtide, poison (which by the way has a surprisingly high save), plane shift and all sorts of enchanted shenenigans (using the domination domain).
But all of those require me to beat the damned monsters SR...:(
And no I don't want to open a melee cleric, maybe in further games...Extra Spell (Whirling Blade) combined with metamagic, such as Sculpt Spell, Maximize Spell, and Empower Spell?

NevinPL
2015-08-17, 11:54 AM
Lower Spell Resistance (Drac)\Spell Vulnerability (PH),
Spell Enhancer could help too (MoF\PGtF\SpC),
other spells that don't allows SR, or are diminished, but work despite it (PHB II),
maybe Magical Fortune, or other luck feats ?

Deadline
2015-08-17, 11:58 AM
Hey there, I'm playing a cleric of wee jas and recently my DM decided to have us face many creatures that have high SR.
Since I'm a cleric with 10 str who focuses on attack spells I am extremely annoyed by this fact.
Is there any feat/magic item/spell that can help me overcome their SR?
I already know about assay spell resistance (lvl 4 spell from spell compendium ) and the spell penetration feats (which kinda suck)...

Well, then the only other options are increasing your caster level (since SR penetration is a caster level check). So feats that increase your caster level for the spells you are casting (like the Reserve feats or domains that give you a +1 caster level for certain types of spells). Also gear that increases it, like the Orange Ioun Stone (+1) and the Bead of Karma on the Strand of Prayer Beads (+4).

Hiro Quester
2015-08-17, 01:25 PM
Assay Spell Resistance. Cleric 4 spell. Spell compendium.

The target of the spell is you, so no relevant save or SR. Swift action to cast. Gives you a +10 bonus on caster level checks to overcome the spell resistance of a specific creature.

daremetoidareyo
2015-08-17, 03:48 PM
Well, then the only other options are increasing your caster level (since SR penetration is a caster level check). So feats that increase your caster level for the spells you are casting (like the Reserve feats or domains that give you a +1 caster level for certain types of spells). Also gear that increases it, like the Orange Ioun Stone (+1) and the Bead of Karma on the Strand of Prayer Beads (+4).

I think that there are special focuses in complete divine that add caster levels too. Gimme a sec.

Complete CHAMPION page 133. Special holy symbols that add a caster level to certain types of spells.

nedz
2015-08-17, 03:52 PM
Fortify Spell [Metamagic] (CArc p80)
+2 spell penetration per +1 spell level

Glimbur
2015-08-17, 07:46 PM
The other approach is to cast spells that don't allow SR. Some attack spells don't, but the examples I can think of are sorc/wiz. You can also try buffing your allies instead; depending on party composition there are a variety of spells that are good buffs. Righteous Wrath of the Faithful is the first I can remember, but there are many others. One of the perks of knowing all of your spells is that if one approach isn't working you can try another.

nedz
2015-08-17, 10:14 PM
All of these are SR:No, there may be others

Earthquake Level 8
Fimbulwinter (Frostburn p93) Level 8
Fire In the Blood (Heroes of Horror) Level 5
Flaywind Burst (Sandstorm) Level 5
Haboob (Sandstorm) Level 3
Mana Flux (Player's Handbook II) Level 5
Rockburst (Shining South) Level 3
Slime Wave (Spell Compendium p192) Level 7
Axiomatic Storm (Spell Compendium p22) Level 3
Cometfall (Spell Compendium p50) Level 6

Interestingly this includes Slime Wave, which you have already mentioned.

LooseCannoneer
2015-08-17, 10:34 PM
Increase your caster level. Orange Prism Ioun Stones are a simple way of doing it, if you want to invest a feat into it. You can boost your CL every 15 days with resources.

Rubik
2015-08-17, 11:59 PM
(Greater) Consumptive Field grants +1 CL for every living thing you kill with it.

1. Go find an anthill.
2. Cast the spell.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Andezzar
2015-08-18, 01:40 AM
This only works with greater consumptive field, unless you think live ants have 0 or fewer HP.

LooseCannoneer
2015-08-18, 07:21 AM
Wouldn't it just count as an ant swarm?

Rubik
2015-08-18, 08:42 AM
Wouldn't it just count as an ant swarm?Only if it actually forms a swarm. But even so, it is still hundreds of thousands or millions of individual ants, which is why swarms can't be targeted by spells that target individual creatures. It may be "one creature" for certain game purposes, but the individual ants are still individual ants.