PDA

View Full Version : Creating a necropolitan

theboss
2015-08-17, 01:25 PM
so, i want to use the necropolitan template which is really helpful against a big amount of spells. but also gives you several weak spots, like rebuke undead, and leaves you with a low hp(only D12 without con score). so i've been wondering if theres something that can help against that kind of stuff expect the +2 turn resistence you gain when you use the template. for example, i thought i could have a magic items that gives Disguise Self continueslly... Any ideas?

thanks

thethird
2015-08-17, 05:21 PM
Human Heritage takes care of the turning completely.

Fey mysteries initiate helps greatly with the HP.

theboss
2015-08-17, 05:27 PM
Human Heritage takes care of the turning completely.

Fey mysteries initiate helps greatly with the HP.

Can you please expend? how can i find those feats/special abilit/race?
and what is the source?

Necroticplague
2015-08-17, 05:32 PM
Can you please expend? how can i find those feats/special abilit/race?
and what is the source?

Human Heritage is a feat from Races of Destiny. It requires you to be a human descendant, and it changes your type to Humanoid (Human). This takes casre of Turning (and any similar anti-undead material) by making you not undead. Though it says you keep the traits of your previous type, so you get to have your cake and eat it too.

Fey mystery initiate is a feat from Dragon (forget which) which lets you use INT to determine bonus HP instead of CON. Useful for those without CON.

thethird
2015-08-17, 05:34 PM
Dragon (forget which)

Dragon 359

Threadnaught
2015-08-17, 06:17 PM
so, i want to use the necropolitan template which is really helpful against a big amount of spells. but also gives you several weak spots, like rebuke undead, and leaves you with a low hp(only D12 without con score). so i've been wondering if theres something that can help against that kind of stuff expect the +2 turn resistence you gain when you use the template. for example, i thought i could have a magic items that gives Disguise Self continueslly... Any ideas?

thanks

Have the ceremony performed by a 8th level Dread Necromancer (+2HP/HD) and Enhanced Undead Necromancer Wizard (+2HP/HD) any level, could be the same character or two separate characters.
Have both share faith in the same evil god/ideal and have an altar to that god/ideal. Fell Energy (+1 to each numerical bonus on Undead added by a Spell) Desecrate (+2HP/HD, additional +2HP/HD with altar) that area.
That's +10HP/HD if your DM can roll with it. Then there's the aforementioned Faerie Mysteries Initiate for Intelligence Bonus to HP in place of Constitution bonus. Although that's a Racial Feat, it relies on the character being Fey, a specific type of Faerunian Halfling, a High, Gold or Gray Elf, or being from a certain part of Faerun.

Necropolitan could pass as whatever they were before the transformation, albeit significantly more pale.
Though Disguise Undead would prevent magical forms of detection, allowing you to masquerade as whatever you want as long as you don't shake hands with too many people. It's a 2nd level Sorcerer/Wizard Spell, Spell Compendium page 66.

Desecrate and the Necromancer can be found on the SRD, I'm unable to accurately source the rest for now.

Fell Energy Spell is Dragon Magazine content and Dread Necromancer is in Heroes of Horror somewhere. FMI has already been sourced.

Edit: Flipped bonuses of Fell Energy and Desecrate around, they are now correct.

theboss
2015-08-17, 06:32 PM
Have the ceremony performed by a 8th level Dread Necromancer (+2HP/HD) and Enhanced Undead Necromancer Wizard (+2HP/HD) any level, could be the same character or two separate characters.
Have both share faith in the same evil god/ideal and have an altar to that god/ideal. Fell Energy (+2 to each numerical bonus on Undead added by a Spell) Desecrate (+1HP/HD, additional +1HP/HD with altar) that area.
That's +10HP/HD if your DM can roll with it. Then there's the aforementioned Faerie Mysteries Initiate for Intelligence Bonus to HP in place of Constitution bonus. Although that's a Racial Feat, it relies on the character being Fey, a specific type of Faerunian Halfling, a High, Gold or Gray Elf, or being from a certain part of Faerun.

Necropolitan could pass as whatever they were before the transformation, albeit significantly more pale.
Though Disguise Undead would prevent magical forms of detection, allowing you to masquerade as whatever you want as long as you don't shake hands with too many people. It's a 2nd level Sorcerer/Wizard Spell, Spell Compendium page 66.

Desecrate and the Necromancer can be found on the SRD, I'm unable to accurately source the rest for now.

Fell Energy Spell is Dragon Magazine content and Dread Necromancer is in Heroes of Horror somewhere. FMI has already been sourced.

wow. thanks very much man. you helped me alot!

Crake
2015-08-17, 06:55 PM
As a racial feat you get at level 1, human heritage would arguably be overridden by any acquired templates you gain after level 1.

nolongerchaos
2015-08-17, 06:56 PM
Have both share faith in the same evil god/ideal and have an altar to that god/ideal. Fell Energy (+2 to each numerical bonus on Undead added by a Spell) Desecrate (+1HP/HD, additional +1HP/HD with altar) that area.
That's +10HP/HD if your DM can roll with it.
[...snip...]

I've seen this suggested before, but how exactly is Fell Energy helping with this? No spells are explicitly called out in the Ritual of Crucimigration, and it's hard to apply a metamagic feat on to a ritual (maybe Greater Bestow Curse[?] on the nails, but that's DM fiat sort of stuff). Even then...

...Only effects described as bonuses gain this benefit. Of Corpsecrafter, Dread Necromancer, Necromancer Variant Enhanced Undead, and Desecrate, none of them ever refer to the additional HP they grant to undead as a bonus, untyped or otherwise, so they wouldn't qualify for Fell Energy anyways. You wouldn't even get a permanent +6 enhancement to Str/Dex from Enhanced Undead/Undead Mastery, since Fell Energy only affects "Any numerical bonus granted by a spell modified with this feat," but those bonuses are all granted by class features rather than the spell itself.

Threadnaught
2015-08-17, 06:57 PM
A fun way to boost Intelligence for FMI, if your DM permits it, is Reincarnate until you become a Catfolk, Centaur, Gnoll, Killoren or Raptoran and grow to Venerable age.
If the DM permits you to take the Aging effects from Races of the Wild page 106 and to transform back into the race you were before with another Reincarnation, then you get double the Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma bonus, all while potentially undoing any penalties to physical stats.
What would have been +1-2HP/HD becomes +3HP/HD.

Raptorans don't have Level Adjustment which makes them my favourites for this error. Though due to this being an error, look out for a DM who won't let you do this, always ask before trying something if you think it'll raise questions.

Necroticplague
2015-08-17, 07:01 PM
As a racial feat you get at level 1, human heritage would arguably be overridden by any acquired templates you gain after level 1.

Not really. The rules for feats are that as long as you qualify, you get the benefits. As long as you continue to be half-human or human-descendant, you're a Humanoid(Human).

Threadnaught
2015-08-17, 07:05 PM
Of Corpsecrafter, Dread Necromancer, Necromancer Variant Enhanced Undead, and Desecrate, none of them ever refer to the additional HP they grant to undead as a bonus, untyped or otherwise, so they wouldn't qualify for Fell Energy anyways.

Ah, well let's see shall we?

Modifiers
A modifier is any bonus or penalty applying to a die roll. A positive modifier is a bonus, and a negative modifier is a penalty.

Here's your link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifiers).

Fell Energy Spell only affects the HP granted by Desecrate, since there are two possible bonuses to gain from it, the bonus from Fell Energy Spell is applied twice.
The Ritual doesn't explicitly involve any Spells, though it does involve the creation of an Undead Creature, if a Dread Necromancer of 8th level or higher and Enhanced Undead Necromancer Wizard are involved with the ritual, thereby creating an Undead Creature, their bonus is added to the Undead Creature's HP, but are unmodified by Fell Energy Spell, since they are not Spells.
It's all perfectly RAW legal.

Glimbur
2015-08-17, 07:06 PM
A hat of disguise will give you disguise self at will. I think there is a cloak for + turn resist... check Libris Mortis. Might be more likely to fly past your DM than human heritage immunity.

theboss
2015-08-17, 07:10 PM
ok. thanks for helping guys. first of all i'll start asking my DM about the dread necromancer in hope he'd accept it. the human heritage is very good for me and exactly what was i looking for. thanks for everyone!

Ruethgar
2015-08-18, 01:14 AM
It is a whole lot more expensive(depending on your cheese allowance), but Savage Species added the function for Wish to be able to change your race such as becoming a Human Necropolitan. This would allow some of the effects that only activate with spells to trigger for you decent into undeath. Also, the ritual itself is what causes the XP loss so for paying a LOT more in gold you could get to keep your XP.

theboss
2015-08-18, 05:29 AM
It is a whole lot more expensive(depending on your cheese allowance), but Savage Species added the function for Wish to be able to change your race such as becoming a Human Necropolitan. This would allow some of the effects that only activate with spells to trigger for you decent into undeath. Also, the ritual itself is what causes the XP loss so for paying a LOT more in gold you could get to keep your XP.

how much is Alot?

Segev
2015-08-18, 12:12 PM
I am away from my Libris Mortis at the moment; can somebody remind me what the requirements are to perform the Necropolitan ritual? Also, does the recipient have to be willing, or could a vile, evil necromancer forcibly transform people?