PDA

View Full Version : ways to get a bonus on turning roll

lhilas
2015-08-17, 03:51 PM
The title pretty much says it all.
Notice that I'm rebuking,not turning, and that I'm looking for a way to boost my initial rebuking roll (the one that determines the highest HD the rebuke will affect).
I need this to maximize the utility of my divine spell power feat from the complete divine handbook.
Thanks in advance.

Curmudgeon
2015-08-17, 04:03 PM
The obvious boost item is a Phylactery of Undead Turning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#phylacteryofUndeadTurning).

lhilas
2015-08-17, 04:12 PM
So let's say I get a 9 on the dice roll, +1 from charisma brings it to 10, and then my next spell is treated as I were 4 levels higher thanks to the necklace of undead turning?

Curmudgeon
2015-08-17, 04:46 PM
A phylactery is a book, not a necklace. You're missing some pieces from your calculation.

roll a turning check (with a special +3 bonus, plus any other modifiers you'd normally apply to your turning check). Treat the result of the turning check as a modifier to your caster level on the next divine spell you cast in that round.

as if his class level were four levels higher than it actually is.
Your turning check would be 9 (d20 roll) + 1 (CHA mod) +3 (Divine Spell Power special bonus) = 13. Consulting the table, that gives Cleric’s level +1 as the result. We then add +4 from the Phylactery of Undead Turning, for Cleric’s level +5. The next spell would be treated as cast with +5 to the CL.

gorfnab
2015-08-17, 06:55 PM
Circlet of Persuasion works on turning checks. Should be able to get some bonuses out of Amulet of Turning, Scepter of the Netherworld, and Sacred Shield.

There might be some other items and whatnot mentioned in this handbook: K's Revised Necromancer Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2733)

Necroticplague
2015-08-17, 07:10 PM
A phylactery is a book, not a necklace. You're missing some pieces from your calculation.

Your turning check would be 9 (d20 roll) + 1 (CHA mod) +3 (Divine Spell Power special bonus) = 13. Consulting the table, that gives Cleric’s level +1 as the result. We then add +4 from the Phylactery of Undead Turning, for Cleric’s level +5. The next spell would be treated as cast with +5 to the CL.

I don't think that's how that works. Turn undead table gives a result of 'Cleric Level +X'. Divine power only looks at the X. However, the phylactery only changes the value of 'Cleric Level'.

DrKerosene
2015-08-18, 08:33 AM
I got two items from Bunko's Bargain Basement, and I know Rebuking is easier to stack things on than Turning, but I'm no expert.

Rod of Defiance (MiC, pg 56, 7,312 gp) A +1 heavy mace that causes undead to be treated as if they had four fewer Hit Dice for purposes of turning.

War Cross of St. Cuthbert (CC 135, 350 gp) Increases divine CL by 1 for mind-affecting spells and turning undead.

GitP Thread: Optimizing Turning (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?106249-Optimizing-Turning-3-5)

I assume you've ignored the Improved Turning feat, and already invested the five Skill Ranks for Knowledge(religion)?

Bronk
2015-08-18, 09:04 AM
I'll second the 'circlet of persuasion', as it gives a +3 bonus to charisma checks (which turning/rebuking is), or an admiral's bicorne for +5.

For the same reason, any item that increases charisma (such as a cloak of charisma), would help.

Twurps
2015-08-18, 12:29 PM
A level of Marshal with the minor aura 'motivate charisma'.
You get your CHA bonus to CHA bases checks (in addition to the normal bonus) which includes a turning check.
Definately not worth is with a CHA bonus of +1. But should you be able to get you CHA bonus to +5 or more, it might be worth the caster level. (And you really want to boost your CHA anyways.)